News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Teacher's Pet
« on: August 23, 2007, 07:45:47 AM »
Which golf courses would be considered "The Teacher's Pet" ?

Certainly a case can be made for Pinehurst # 2 being Ross's Pet, NGLA being MacDonald's pet and perhaps Crooked Stick being Pete Dye's pet, but, amongst all of the architects, dead, old and current, which courses would you assign as being their pet projects ?

And, please, tell us why you think so.

Wayne Morrison & TEPaul, I'd like to hear your thoughts on Flynn, independent of one another.

JESII

Re:Teacher's Pet
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 08:23:06 AM »

Wayne Morrison & TEPaul, I'd like to hear your thoughts on Flynn, independent of one another.

Have you not been paying attention?

Can you cite the source of this paraphrased quote from an architect upon a return visit to one of his courses?

"When I was building XXX, I intended it to be my masterpiece. Until know I did not realize how well I had done..."[/i]

It does tie in here.

Not knowing his history as well as most of you, I would throw MacKenzie and Pasatiempo into the mix. Of course I could be over-reaching in terms of his time spent there...you tell me.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 08:26:11 AM »
Teachers rarely give birth to their favorite students.  I would say today that NGLA is Rees Jones Teacher's Pet.  I would say this because he is a man with a firm grip on history and understands the greatness before him.  NGLA is in good hands.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 08:30:28 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 08:29:35 AM »
JES

I think XXX=Aronimink in the Donald Ross quote you referenced.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

JESII

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 08:31:31 AM »
You got it...did I get close to your remembrance of the actual quote on that rock?

Does that effect the obvious nod to #2 in Ross' mind?

Andy Troeger

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 08:36:21 AM »
Nicklaus it would appear has Muirfield Village.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 08:37:15 AM »
I gotta go with Fazio and ANGC.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 08:54:36 AM »

Have you not been paying attention?

Can you cite the source of this paraphrased quote from an architect upon a return visit to one of his courses?

"When I was building XXX, I intended it to be my masterpiece. Until know I did not realize how well I had done..."[/i]

It does tie in here.

Not knowing his history as well as most of you, I would throw MacKenzie and Pasatiempo into the mix. Of course I could be over-reaching in terms of his time spent there...you tell me.

Jim-

Ah, I don't see this quote (from AGC) as much more than window-dressing or feel-good bs on Ross' part in coming back to visit.  Similarly, go to the GAP site and read the quote from Palmer about Commonwealth.  I read that and thought "...please..."  I'm not saying it's the same thing, but it's similar.  
I'm not familiar with the entire history of AGC, so I don't know the entire scope of Ross' involvement here besides being the original designer and then the JB McGovern discussions.    
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 08:55:20 AM by Doug Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Matt MacIver

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 08:57:53 AM »
I gotta go with Fazio and ANGC.

Or Shadow Creek -- something from nothing.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 09:03:10 AM »
As it sits today I think Fazio hates Shadow Creek.  It pigeon holed his creative process for at least a decade.  He so bought into the Steve Wynn focal point blindness issue that holes became framed onto a point.  All at once it jumped started his career and almost destroyed it.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 09:04:59 AM »
JES II,

Donald Ross didn't spend 26 years tinkering with Aronomink.

Tom MacWood alluded to the possibility that perhaps Ross's supervising construction manager was responsible for Aronomink since Aronomink, as built, didn't match the field drawings/plans ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 09:05:17 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

JESII

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 09:08:44 AM »
I think your thread is titled poorly. I get the concept, and will not argue Aronomink vs. Pinehurst, but JK identified the flaw in your title with the following..."Teachers rarely give birth to their favorite students."

How about MacKenzie? Does history support Pasatiempo?

Matt MacIver

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 09:24:52 AM »
As it sits today I think Fazio hates Shadow Creek.  It pigeon holed his creative process for at least a decade.  He so bought into the Steve Wynn focal point blindness issue that holes became framed onto a point.  All at once it jumped started his career and almost destroyed it.

If that's so then you're probably right about AGNC.  If I even raked one bunker there I would take a lot of credit, too.  

Vic Nat'l and Wade Hampton are his other most critically acclaimed courses but not nearly on the public conscious like the other two.  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 09:36:19 AM »
I say ANGC because I believe it is the only one where the check has not cleared that Fazio thinks about as he lays in bed at night.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 09:41:31 AM »
Dornick Hills would qualify for Perry Maxwell.  

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 11:00:54 AM »
Without wanting to speak for Wayne or Tom, I'd say Flynn had two pet projects...first Merion, and then Lancaster, where he worked on and of from 1919 through the mid 40s.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 12:00:53 PM »
Huntington Country Club and Devereux Emmet...1910 build and constant renovation thru 1929

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 01:36:10 PM »

Certainly a case can be made for Pinehurst # 2 being Ross's Pet, NGLA being MacDonald's pet and perhaps Crooked Stick being Pete Dye's pet, but, amongst all of the architects, dead, old and current, which courses would you assign as being their pet projects ?

And, please, tell us why you think so.

Pat,

Where are you going with this thread?  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 01:36:45 PM »
If we're going to start talking Statutory and Dev Emmett, this might become a whole different thread.  Ask Scott Burroughs what was a common theme with bunkers were found at Leatherstocking

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 02:20:18 PM »
I am not sure that modern architects can have such a thing as a "pet" project anymore.  We have all learned the hard way that the course isn't really ours, it's the client's.  And few of us have the gumption to go out and actually develop one with our own cash, because we are more realistic about the prospects of success than our clients are!

I pride myself on getting things right during construction so that we don't have to keep going back and doing the little detail work.

I will make an exception to this rule for Pete Dye, who has two "pet" projects -- Crooked Stick and Teeth of the Dog.  It took Pete four years to get Crooked Stick into the ground after fighting a shortage of funds halfway through, and he has not been shy about tinkering with it since.  Meanwhile, he spends the majority of his free time at Casa de Campo and has loved to tinker with that course on the heels of hurricanes, turf catastrophes, and other assorted issues.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 02:25:14 PM »
Tom,

Is it fair to ask you which course would be your pet -- i.e., the course you'd most enjoy tinkering with over a 30-year period -- if, like Ross at Pinehurst #2, you had a free hand to do so?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 09:44:57 PM »
Doug

Regarding Commonwealth and Palmer's quote: "All I know and love about golf is in this course."

This is purely marketing hype. Erik Larsen of Palmer Design was the on site project architect. The late Ed Seay and Larsen paid a visit to Commonwealth about 10 years after the course opened. At lunch, Seay said something to the effect that this course turned out much  better than he envisioned. Larsen agreed. This course was certainly not Palmer's pet project. Palmer was charged by the developer to build a tough course and that he did.

There aren't too many ball marks on the 18th green:

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 11:42:32 PM »
What about Alister MacKenzie and Pasatiempo?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 12:03:08 AM »
Wayne:

I think Alwoodley, Cypress Point and Pasatiempo could all lay claim to be MacKenzie's pet project.  He tinkered more with Alwoodley than the others, since he lived nearby for many years before his divorce.  

He thought Cypress Point and not Pasa was his masterpiece, even though he spent more personal time on the latter, and I believe its greens are wilder as a direct result of his on-site time.  He would be bothered by the changes in the landscape on holes 6-8 today.

igrowgrass

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 12:59:43 AM »
Is Fazio over Shadow Creek as his pet and onto the course at Pronghorn?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back