News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

from Greenville to Aiken, SC
« on: August 19, 2007, 08:49:06 AM »
Outside of the obvious, Greenville-Chanticleer, Palmetto and Sage Valley, what else around and between these two cities in South Carolina are worth seeing?

Thanks in advance.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

A.G._Crockett

Re:from Greenville to Aiken, SC
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 09:36:39 AM »
Paul,
In the Greenville area, there is a hidden gem named Woodfin Ridge, a daily fee Bill Bergin design that is excellent.  Turboe will confirm that this is a golf course worth seeing, and I think Mike Whitaker has been there as well.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Paul Payne

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 09:55:45 AM »
You gotta go check out the Aiken CC or otherwise known as the Highland course. It is right off the small downtown in Aiken and a stones throw from Palmetto.

It is a great old course (1912), and was lovingly rennovated about four years ago. Not real long (6100) but still challenging. The greens are fantastic. I love that course. It was brought up here a few weeks ago while I was gone but I enjoy playing there as much as I do Palmetto.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 11:08:35 AM »
It really depends on what direction you take driving down there.  If you go the direct route through Greenwood, Davis Love did a course called the Patriot that I liked a lot.  It's part of a housing development and I'm sure it's more built out then when I visited.  The greens were the best feature of the course and there is what appears to be an abandoned building in the 1st tee/18th green area that adds effect.  

If you go via the Interstate toward Columbia, then Musgrove Mill (although it's 10 miles off the highway) is worth the effort to play.  It's an excellent Palmer/Seay/Ken Tomlinson effort.  Musgrove is a very difficult course and is a golf club in the truest sense.  I particularly like the par 5 9th hole with it's elevated green.  

Other than what I've mentioned, I agree with Palmetto, Aiken CC and Sage Valley as excellent places to play.  

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 08:39:53 PM »
Paul Richards - I guess it would depend on two factors: what makes a course "worthy," and why you are seeking to play the courses. Do you want to play these courses simply for fun, or to expand your personal breadth of course knowledge, or to rate them for some panel?

There are a number of interesting courses from Greenville to Aiken, the best of which is Musgrove Mill. You casually mentioned several very private clubs, Sage Valley being the most private, so I assume access at any course must not be a problem for you. Is that the case?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Paul Richards

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 07:10:08 AM »
Michael

Musgrove Mill is a real treat and I have been there.

I always like to find places along my routes that expand and diversify my architectural education.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 07:29:19 AM by Paul Richards »
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 02:31:09 PM »
I understand. This is strictly for your personal edification, nothing more.

OK then...

What courses in the area have you already played?

When will you be visiting? It makes a difference due to maintenance issues you might encounter.

You didn't answer before if arranging access at private courses is not a problem for you. Is that the case?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Paul Richards

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 11:10:01 PM »
Michael and I took this discussion off-line.

If anyone has any other suggestions for this area, I'd appreciate them

Thanks

John Shimp

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 10:13:21 AM »
Two other suggestions are stopping in or near Columbia on the way to Aiken.  Columbia CC is a 27 hole Ellis Maples course that is fun.  Skip the Lakeside 9 and play the other 2 which are considered the "real" course.  Pretty straight forward ball striking course with large undulating tif eagle greens that are really hard to putt well on.  Columbia is a friendly club not that far away from the I26 to I20 connection to Aiken.  Other idea is Camden CC.  Camden is a tricky Ross course that is the other way from Aiken out I20.  Also a friendly club.  Both CCC's host a lot of tournaments and have strong golfing memberships.

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 10:15:39 AM »
Paul,
Which way are you going to aiken?  thru Ga or SC???
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Robert Kimball

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 10:37:11 AM »
I am a little biased, but you should play the Furman University golf course. It is pretty challenging, and you can see Brad Faxon's course record scorecard in the clubhouse.  :)

If that doesn't work, The Cliffs is literally up the street....

Paul Richards

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 04:31:19 PM »
Rob

Where is Furman and the Cliffs?

BTW, I had a buddy who was a running back from Furman years ago.  That's all I know about the school,though.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 05:32:17 PM »
Furman is a small school in Traveler's Rest S.C. Probably about 2-3,000 students. They actually had a pretty good run of grooming future LPGA players (Betsy King, Beth Daniel, Dottie Pepper).
The Cliffs  of Glassy are down the street on Hwy. 25 (you actually drive by the FU golf course to get there from ATL).
Don't ask what our mascot -- a Purple Paladin -- is, cause I don't know.  :)

Paul Richards

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 10:15:24 PM »
and Traveler's Rest is near - Greenville or Aiken????

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 10:25:05 PM »
Travelers Rest is north of Greenville.

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 10:34:26 PM »
Paul:

Travelers Rest is pretty near Greenville, as is the Cliffs at Glassy.  Glassy is one of the most beautiful courses outside of Cypress Point (not just my opinion, but others as well), and is a decent playing mountain course.

John Shimp mentioned Camden.....  the routing is actually Travis but Ross did the greens (they've been renovated to the original specs, we think).  If you'd like to swing by here I'd be happy to have you.  The "feel" is similar to Palmetto.

Jamey

(edit)  John, we really should set up a "home and home" and/or a GCA outing at Palmetto and Camden.  I think I could put together a "Ryder Cup" type group of Camden members who'd be interested, and we have a pretty good cadre of nearby CGAers....   Are ya'll open again?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:52:33 PM by Jamey Bryan »

Paul Richards

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 11:19:13 PM »
So how far is the Cliffs from Greenville ??

Tim Copeland

I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

John Shimp

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 10:30:54 AM »
Jamey,
I'd like to get a GCA event set up for both Camden and Palmetto.  I don't think many of the GCA heavys know much about the courses.  Both have multiple famous architect influences which makes them unique and Palmetto now is being influenced by Gil Hanse who is an actively followed guy around here.  John Stiles and Jimmy Murratt have also shown interest from the Palmetto side in hosting some GCA folks.  Palmetto is going to be late in opening though.  Early Oct at best it appears.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 10:36:56 AM »
John--

What are they doing at Palmetto to bring a late opening?  When last I visited there, they were restoring some of the edges to the greens but the course didn't appear as if it needed much done to it.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 10:39:43 AM »
Don't ask what our mascot -- a Purple Paladin -- is, cause I don't know.  :)

I always pictured Richard Boone dressed as the Fruit-of-the-Loom grape. But basically it's a purple knight on horseback.

Furman does have the World's Most Beautiful Campus (tm).

John Shimp

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 11:10:08 AM »
Adam,
They are regrassing the entire course, doing some tree removal, and complete the addition of some former bunkers.
Also, slightly regrading some greens to allow for playability with higher green speeds.
Js

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 05:28:13 PM »
John & Jamey - What about Dixie Cup 5 for Palmetto and Camden???

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 09:07:25 PM »
Michael:

I think it'd be great, and I'm sure I could arrange it from the Camden side.  There're lots of good places to eat and drink, too!  Let's talk about it in October.

Jamey

Paul Richards

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2007, 08:58:34 AM »
Here's another tact:

Which of the following might be along / nearby to this route?

Cheers!

Aiken Golf Club

Berkeley Hall - North

Berkeley Hall - South

Bull's Bay

Camden CC

CC of Charleston

Charleston National  CC

Chechesee Creek

Cherokee Plantation

Cliffs of Glassy

Cliffs Valley  

Cougar Point Golf Club

Daniel Island - Beresford Creek  

Daniel Island - Ralston Creek  

Eagles Point GC  

Florence CC  

Houndslake Country Club  

May River Course at Palmetto Bluff  

Monticello GC  

Mt Vintage Plantation  

Oldfield

Patriot GC at Grand Harbor    

Reserve at Lake Keowee  

RiverTowne CC  

Secession GC  

Shaftesbury Glen G&FC  

Spring Island/Old Tabby Links  

Wachesaw Plantation Club  

Wachesaw Plantation East  

Woodcreek Farms  

Woodfin Ridge Golf Club

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back