News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Clouser

The Fort Golf Course by Pete Dye (w/pics)
« on: August 12, 2007, 08:13:42 AM »
The course re-opened in 1997 after Dye and associate Tim Liddy was completed.  Dye called the course “The best piece of ground I’ve ever seen.”  The total property for the course contains 238 acres.  It is surrounded by trees and along with The Garrison comprises the Fort Golf Course.  One thing that many people will love to know is that the course will never be surrounded by houses due the state owning the surrounding land.  This is fortuitous as developers would love to get their hands on the grounds of one of the fastest growing areas of Indianapolis and one of the top golf courses in the state.
   The land that holds the course has some of the most extreme undulations and ravines that one will find in Indiana on a golf course.  Dye, in his usual genius manner took advantage of the severe terrain and routed nine holes over it at different points in the track.  The rest of the course features fairly level ground and lacks the excitement of the other holes, but Dye used traditional strategic concepts and created some difficult holes.  In many regards it reminds me of the land used for Eagle Creek almost directly across town on 56th street.    
   Challenge is never a question on the course, but Dye and Liddy implemented design techniques that help to alleviate the concerns of the high handicapper to an extent.  With the drastic elevation changes come several mandatory carries off the tee and some severe sidehill lies throughout the round.  They placed several flat-bottomed bunkers at the base of the slopes to prevent balls from being lost and to provide the more challenged golfer and opportunity to recover.  Another design element in full view is that almost all of the greens at The Fort have open entrances with hazards to the side or protecting an angled green.  This is a tendency that Dye has exhibited throughout his career.
   In his entire career, Pete Dye has been known to build some devious and fiendish greens.  The greens at the Fort may seem a little mild in comparison as the challenge is presented to the player between the tee and the final destination.  But one should not fall asleep at the wheel and think the greens will be easy victims.  Many of them feature slight contours including bumps, ridges and spines; not to mention a few with some dastardly slope.  Though they are not the most feared in the Dye portfolio, the group of putting surfaces are still a challenge to all that play them.

Holes of note:

Hole 2 – 323 yards - Quickly the player is introduced the difficult terrain on the second hole as the tee shot must clear a ravine and go to a fairway that noticeably runs from right to left with the green out of view on the short par four.  The slope of the green may be the most severe on the course with two deep pits on the left side.  Reminds me of the tenth at The Trophy Club with trees.

Hole 4 – 479 yards - The fourth features a couple of hills bleeding into the sides of the hole and several ups and downs.  The last slope feeds into the green.  Shots the run along the right side of the hole will have an awkward lie and the longest of hitters may be forced with a blind shot into the green from a depression at just over three hundred yards out from the tee.  This is just another tool by Dye to make the course harder for the better players and to even the odds a little for the higher handicap.  The best par four on the course.

From the tee

From behind the hole

Hole 5 – 170 yards - A dropshot par three is a beautiful site and a rare bird in Indiana.  It would be hard to imagine another that could be better than the one at The Fort.  At only 170 yards and playing almost thirty yards shorter with the prevailing breeze, the hole becomes very difficult in trying to stay below the hole while also avoiding the deep revetted bunker to the right side of the putting surface.  

Hole 6 – 511 yards - This is followed by another roller coaster hole with a forced carry off the tee.  The hole continues to climb up the hill and run from left to right.  The approach to the hole is defended by a trio of bunkers set at a diagonal that forces the player to hit a lay up or approach to the green with some skill.  The player going out to the right will have an open angle into the green and have a fine chance to save par or even make birdie with a skillful pitch into the target.  

From the tee

The approach from the right

Hole 10 – 311 yards - After the turn, the rough terrain picks back up with the tenth on a hole that should just be called the elevator because it only goes down from the tee.  The green is placed on a plateau with a cluster of bunkers protecting the left side.  This is just another in the fine group of short par fours that Dye and Liddy provided at the Fort.  In a way it reminds me of the 17th at Crystal Downs only in reverse.

Hole 11 – 547 yards - This is the type of hole that not only shows Dye’s genius but what separates the armchair architects from the real thing.    The hole runs from left to right and up the hill to a plateau that hides the green from the player on the tee, leaving a doubt in their mind as to the green location.  From the landing zone for the drive the green begins to peak out to the left but appears to be a thousand yards in the distance.  The green, like many others is accommodating to a long approach with an open entrance and allows some leniency in the surrounding hazards.  The toughest par five I have ever played under 600 yards.

The tee

The second shot with the green to the left of the hill

The approach

Hole 15 – 471 yards - A tough long par four with a great green complex protected on the right by bunkers and a run off to the left for shots just a bit off line.  The approach is semi-blind with the green perched within a bowl.

From behind the green

Hole 16 – 582 yards – Long par five with some great bunkers from a strategic standpoint and a shoulder short of the green that made me just think of Patrick Mucci.  

Hole 18 – 474 yards – Dye found the last piece of undulating ground to layout the eighteenth across.  Like the second, the hole runs over a ravine and then uphill while going from right to left towards the green that is out of view.  Short of the green is another depression and then a steep slope up to the putting surface.  The difference is that this hole is almost 475 yards from the tips.   

From the tee

Approach from right

From behind you see the contours in the green

Perhaps the largest criticism of the course is that the holes that run over the flatter terrain are very tame in comparison and in many instances have an air of similarity to them.  The holes that run over the extreme terrain are excellent in almost every regard.  If nothing else the course at the Fort should eliminate any stereotype that exists about Indiana golf courses just being flat pieces of old farmland.    
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 08:14:29 AM by Chris_Clouser »

Anthony_Nysse

Re:The Fort Golf Course by Pete Dye (w/pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 10:10:35 AM »
It doesn't liik like a Dye course-Has none of the characteristics....

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 10:57:19 AM »
Chris,

Maybe I've watched a little too much Southern Hills, but on the drop shot 5th - Why the little fairway patch? And why not mow the patch to the edge of the green? That way you'd have "pick your poison" on your miss. Short right would be sand, short left would be short grass that would roll your ball farther away from the green.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Andy Troeger

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 11:28:42 AM »
Jeff,
I agree with your comment regarding the 5th. Its a great little hole, but mowing the slope would make it more interesting. If I remember though it is fairly steep and the course is not that expensive, so it may not be worth hand mowing those types of areas. Just a guess.

Tony,
It really does not play like a Dye course, although it does in some ways harken back to his older courses that were a little more subtle than some of the newer ones. Its nowhere near as good as The Golf Club, but its more similar to that one than any of his other courses that I've seen.

I really like The Fort. I think its one of the top five publics in Indiana and top ten in the state. I have it 3rd best public and 6th best overall of what I've played, but I haven't played everything including VN. I think the flatter holes make for a decent change of pace as they are interspersed with the more interesting land throughout the round. The 4th and 11th are fabulous holes as Chris pointed out. Also there is a nice variety of hole lengths throughout the course. The short fours at #2 and 10 were noted as well.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 11:32:54 AM »

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC

Actually, it seems to look more like one of his courses from the 60s or early 70s.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Ken Fry

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 12:08:54 PM »
Chris,

It may be worth looking into and maybe Tim Liddy can comment on this.  A base golf course existed on the site with much of the routing already in place.  The long par 4 4th use to be a par 5 with the green at the base of the large ravine not far from where the par 3 fifth green sits now.  Quite a bit of earth was moved to create a wider playing corridor (which gives you an idea how tight it must have been before.

Not long after the course reopened, there were issues with growing grass on the hole #5.  The mowed area below the green was used as a temp green for a while.

The Fort is a great course and a fun stop for anyone in or traveling near Indy.  I'd be curious to find out more of what was there before the renovation from those involved.

Ken

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 12:48:11 PM »
  Dye called the course “The best piece of ground I’ve ever seen.”      

Everyone that has heard Dye say this before raise your hands. ::)

Seriously, the course looks very interesting overall. The bunker on 5 looks awful. Maybe it's the angle.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Doug Ralston

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 07:09:28 PM »

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC

Tim Liddy;

Please chime in here. It is my understanding that you did much of the work on 'The Fort'. How much? Do not be modest.  8)

Doug

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 10:02:09 PM »
Anthony and Doug,

I agree it doesn't look a lot like his modern style on the better holes.  Several of the holes I skipped over though had this in spades.  Holes like 12, 13 and 14 had several of his trademarks from the modern style.  I felt like the course had much more of a feel of his earlier work.  I've never seen the Golf Club, but that might be an appropriate comparison.  It felt a little like Eagle Creek with the hazards being a little bit more evolved.  

The course looks nothing like any of the Liddy work I have seen either.  So I wonder how much input he had in the work here.

David Stamm,

I think you could use that line for every architect in history.

Jeff,

My guess on your comment on the fifth is something along the lines of what Andy said.  I was allowed to go around the course the day before the state match play championships to take the photos so it could be that they had it that way for the tournament.  But I can see what you are getting at.  From my experience of playing the course once the front pin placements would probably take the every day players forever to get to on that green.  They would be going back and forth quite a bit.

Ken,

I wish the day I visited they had someone who had worked there for a while to answer some of my questions, but he had only been there about two months and didn't know that much of the history of the course.  I would love to see what the original layout looked like and see what, if anything, Dye used in the redesign.  
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 10:05:33 PM by Chris_Clouser »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back