News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Glenn Spencer

Closest fairway to OB?
« on: July 09, 2007, 02:00:56 PM »
What is the closest fairway to OB in the US? I am looking for something off the tee shot. Springfield CC #8 is no more than 20 feet. Can anyone beat that?

Matt_Cohn

Re:Closest fairway to OB?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 02:24:21 PM »
Yes. Talking Stick #2 and #3 borders the edge of the fairway, on the preferred side no less.

Contest over  :)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 02:27:41 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 02:33:43 PM »
#14 Algonquin Golf Club in St. Louis.  The whole left side is OB, until about the last 100 yards.  I would be shocked if it is more than 20' from the left edge of the fairway to the OB cartpath.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 02:37:34 PM by Bill Shamleffer »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Michael Blake

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 02:35:26 PM »
#1 at Francis Byrne in West Orange, NJ is pretty close.

Straight par five (back in the 1980's, don't know what it is now) with a fence along the entire right side separating it from a pretty busy road.

It could be around 20 ft from fairway to OB.

#2 at Merion sure seemed pretty close to OB right at Ardmore Ave.  Some cars sure were lucky.  :)

Tried to post google earth images but was unsuccessful.  Need tutoring.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 02:43:04 PM »
These are great. Thanks.

Matt,

No rough of any kind to the left at Talking Stick?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 03:11:56 PM »
I recall Merion's 14th and 15th get quite snuggly to Golf House Road. Can anyone corroborate how close it actually is?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 03:14:25 PM »
Kyle's right - 15 is an easy OB if you hit any type of draw that starts a bit left.

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 03:16:26 PM »
These are great. Thanks.

Matt,

No rough of any kind to the left at Talking Stick?

none Matt...just a barbed wire fence, the other side of which is OB!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 03:17:58 PM »
Kyle's right - 15 is an easy OB if you hit any type of draw that starts a bit left.

That's called a hook. I know them well.

peter_mcknight

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 03:20:28 PM »
How about Pacific Palms Resort, Zaharias Course no. 9?  At points, it is only 2 yards from edge of fairway to OB and hitting some guy's (usually cluttered) backyard on the left.

http://www.ihgolfclub.com/babehole9.htm

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 03:22:53 PM »
I am sure there are courses where shots carry over OB so that part of the fairway is 0 yards from OB or, arguably, part of the fairway is OB.  The most famous example, although not in the US, is The Road Hole at St. Andrews - the tee shot typically goes over the corner of the former railway sheds which is OB.

While not in the US my home course, Scarboro in Toronto, has a tee shot that must carry a road.  The road is OB but in normal play you get a free rehit if you hit the fence guarding the road.

Gordon Oneil

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 03:36:26 PM »
The only thing besides a few yards of rough between the 18th fairway at Bellerieve and the OB that borders the practice area down the right side is a CART PATH.

Which, as it did back in the '99 mid-am, effectively brings to OB closer to the fairway.   Tragically so.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 03:51:58 PM »
#14 Algonquin Golf Club in St. Louis.  The whole left side is OB, until about the last 100 yards.  I would be shocked if it is more than 20' from the left edge of the fairway to the OB cartpath.

Bill, I haven't seen Gustin for a long time, but doesn't OB line several fairways there?  I'm thinking 3 and 4 on the right side, 12 and 14 on the left.  

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 05:28:26 PM »

Bill, I haven't seen Gustin for a long time, but doesn't OB line several fairways there?  I'm thinking 3 and 4 on the right side, 12 and 14 on the left.  

Jim, I think you have a good case for #4.  #3 doglegs right and there is a quite a bit of rough on the right side before the OB.  However, the OB on the right of #4 does get very close.  #12 is such a skinny fairway, and then being slightly crowned I think the OB left appears closer.  Also, because of the left rough sloping towards the OB, the OB is very much in play, even though it may be about 15 yards left.

But now you have my thinking about St. Louis CC's many close OBs.  Especially #15 with the OB road on the right just a few paces from the fairway.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 05:31:26 PM by Bill Shamleffer »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

mike_beene

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 06:37:33 PM »
OB brings two courses to mind,Hoylake and Lakewood in Dallas.9 at Lakewood is a par 5 where you are almost driving at the ob fence(probably a 30 degree angle) and just a few steps of rough with a path and one of those iron fences that is 97% air.The 15th green is about 3 steps from ob on a mid to long iron shot.It will wear you out in stroke play.If ob were lateral the course would be a lot more fun.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 03:54:26 AM »
The 3rd at Hoylake is the obvious example with the cop seperating fairway from OB all down the RHS of the hole, which is a dogleg right.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Brian Joines

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 08:43:45 AM »
Hole #4 at Knollwood CC (West) in South Bend, IN has OB about 10 ft. from the right side of the fairway. The holes plays 360 from the tips and is the 5 handicap on the course due solely to the tight fairway and close proximity of OB.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 09:45:17 AM »
debatably, the 18th at TOC...

seeing as it's the preferred line and all...

...still, with the expanse of fairway on the left, you can hardly call it 'tight'

Ken Moum

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 11:56:54 AM »
I can't think of any where the short grass is closer to the
OB fence than the right side of the 18th at N Berwick.

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

D_Malley

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 12:10:10 PM »
15 at merion east, the ob is less than 5 paces from the fairway.  it almost reaches the first cut of rough.

Powell Arms

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 05:25:57 PM »
#9 on the Wissahickon course at Philly Cricket is a par 4 with OB about ten feet off of the fairweay down the entire right side.  #15 on the same course is a par 3 of 200 yds with OB about 15 feet off of the green to the right side.

Here's the question - in general, is this seen as a valid tool of the architect, or can one not generalize?
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Justin_Zook

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 06:23:24 PM »
Bent Creek, a course well-known in the Philadelphia area, has OB on virtually every hole.  

The 17th, a short par 4 with water all the way down the left, and OB all the way down the right has about 2 yards of rough between the fairway and OB on the right side.  

The irrigation technician, who has been there since the course's build in 1991/1992, and I were doing some GPS work there last fall and found that there were some parts of the course that were built on surrounding residential property.  This includes the 17th hole where a certain portion of the rough, fairway and an actual bunker is owned by a neighboring resident.  
We make a living by what we get...we make a life by what we give.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 06:30:15 PM »
Dunbar #7:

Over that wall?

OB!!!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 09:43:53 AM »
#1 at Prestwick?

Muirfield has a couple holes like that as well I believe.

Also, that hole at Lytham or St. George's in one of the recent Opens with the OB stakes lining the right side.  I watched Davis Love his a tee shot that ran and ran and ran on the baked ground, before finally slowing and caroming off a stake away from the OB with a strange "bonk" noise...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jesse Jones

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 12:08:13 PM »

McCormick Woods in Port Orchard, Washington has some really tight OB spots on many of its holes.
On at least two holes..The fariway ends, then there's about 4 or 5 yards of rough, then there's a cartpath leading to the OB.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back