News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Sleeman

Fix Your Hail Marks (Updated: All Is Well)
« on: June 24, 2007, 05:54:13 PM »
Gang:

Last Wednesday, major thunderstorms rolled through the upper Great Lakes region and brought with them large amounts of hail in some spots, including two inches' worth in my old hometown of Marquette, Michigan.

Near golf ball-sized hail hit the Heritage and Greywalls courses, forcing them to close for maintenance the following day.  Everyone I've spoken with there says they've never seen anything like it.

My question: has anyone here had experience with large hail storms like this in the past, and what maintenance challenges are created as a result?  Is it as "simple" as fixing a million ball marks and re-raking the bunkers?

Here's what the superintendent had to say in the local paper:

At the Marquette Golf and Country Club, course superintendent Craig Moore said this morning the course suffered “severe damage” from Wednesday’s hail storm.

He said three trees were uprooted on the sixth hole on the Heritage Course and another between holes two and seven on the Greywalls layout.

“The majority of damage was on our greens (though),” he said. “The hail left them totally unplayable. There are thousands and thousands of dents on each green. It just pulverized them.”

Moore added the amount of foliage brought down by the storm was “unbelievable.”

“I’ve never seen so much damage,” he said. “It’s a war zone out here.”

Below are a few photos taken of the Heritage course a little while after the storm (note the hail has melted a bit).  It's an eerily beautiful scene...

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 08:00:18 PM by Brian_Sleeman »

Adam Clayman

Re:Fix Your Hail Marks
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 06:03:21 PM »
I believe top dressing is the only course of action, for the greens. They should be back to playable in no time.
Hopefully one of our resident super supers will set us both str8.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 08:08:05 PM »
I do not recall the year, but the last time the US AM was contested at CHerry Hills in Denver, a hail storm hit the course just a few days before play. The dmage to the greens was extensive. The hail even took out a few windshields. The entire membership was invited out for a greens party, issued forks from the dining room, and had the greens ready to go in time for the tournament.

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Craig Sweet

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 12:04:27 AM »
We were just talking about this at work this morning...lots of sand...lots and lots of top dressing
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 07:58:42 PM »
Just to update the crowd: I just got back from a 2-day, 54-hole trip to Greywalls, and I'm happy to report that although the storm took down a lot of leaves (though I only really noticed when I looked at the forest floor on the drive out), it only really affected a couple of greens.  And in those cases, the superintendent has done a great job of getting them back to running smoothly.  Topdressing like mad on those couple of greens seems to have done the trick.  

You can still see the scars on a couple greens but at least they aren't affecting play.  I only had one ball bounce during the 54 holes, and the rest of the course is playing fast and firm and beautiful.

Here's my obligatory shot of one of my favorite approaches (#9), with Lake Superior in the background.  My return visit only strengthened my belief that the course and surrounding community make for an incredibly special place:

Doug Wright

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 08:07:07 PM »
I do not recall the year  .............. Cherry Hills blah, blah

The second course Meridian Golf Club did not fare so well.  :'(   Alas, no party.  Hail (Ball) mark scars were present for 3 months.

Denver is the hail capitol.  That hail storm in 1990 was pretty typical and front range damage was a  hundred or two mil total.  

Jim,

I was playing at Cherry Hills the day that storm hit. It was pretty intense. In addition to the hail damage, however, there was some much needed natural tree removal...

That was the worst hailstorm I've seen in 25+ years here.  There haven't been any such memorable hailstorms since you left town Bill. The weather "flavor of the month" here these days is microbursts, which are like mini-tornadoes.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Adam Clayman

Re: Fix Your Hail Marks (Updated: All Is Well)
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 11:48:38 PM »
A bad stormed rolled through near here, a few days back (5-6). Here's a picture of Heritage Hills in McCook, Ne. Not as impressive as the one's on this thread, until you look at the last two, closely.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back