News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Ran Morrissett

Best U.S. Open set-up in memory?
« on: June 17, 2007, 04:22:31 PM »
Hasn’t the U.S.G.A. done everything right?

For instance, moving the tees around on holes like the 2nd, 8th, 10th, 12th, and 17th has added great variety to how these holes play (exactly what the 07 Masters was missing). Variety and U.S. Open conditions are rarely synonymous but they have been this week. The eagle hole location on the 2nd on Sunday was a neat decision.

The U.S.G.A. kept control of the course. Watering the greens on Friday and Saturday nights were prudent moves, ones that the U.S.G.A. has not always made. The fall-away greens like the 1st, 10th, and 12th are playing to perfection.

The fairway width is fine, with canted fairways like the 12th playing well.

There has been a range of interesting hole locations, which in turn gave players chances from time to time.

Obviously, other things are contributing to making this a great U.S. Open: a treeless Oakmont with its bunker and ditch restoration is the ultimate venue (its wide variety of holes seems unmatched, at least to me), the weather has cooperated and John Zimmer and his crew carry on North America’s most famous tradition of presenting ideal turf/playing conditions.

All told, these factors have come together to present a perfect U. S. Open test, the best I can recall.

Other times and other places, the U.S.G.A. has famously got the set-up wrong (10th tee at Bethpage Black, Home greens at Southern Hills and Olympic, Shinnecock).  The U.S.G.A. has been called out on such occasions in this Discussion Group and other places.

So it’s great to be given this opportunity to applaud them too.

Cheers,

Steve Lapper

Re:Best U.S. Open set-up in memory?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 04:30:54 PM »
My sentiments exactly.....hats off to them this year!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

tlavin

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 04:56:47 PM »
Mike Davis gets an "A" for this year's setup.  They never got to that razor's edge where they lost control of the golf course.  The half par holes in particular point out the majesty of the design and the USGA seems to be making all of the right decisions.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 04:58:08 PM »
It does appear they have a maintenance meld that is working for the PGA.
I'd like to play it from 6200 yards....
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 05:02:22 PM »
Ran,

I was going to start a thread titled "Watching with an Open mind", but this is a great opportunity to expand on your thoughts.

I wanted to see golf played on a firmer course, with less rough and more "excitement". After the first two rounds, I thought it was going to be a typical Open, whatever that is. But today, I find that if I toss my preconceived notions to the non-existent wind, I can really enjoy watching the best players in the world duke it out on a difficult, but playable set up.

If I could have any influence, I would take the deepest cut rough and bring it down a notch (hoping for more heroics after a misguided tee shot) but other than that I find it to be very, very good.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 05:04:33 PM »
Not sure its better than Pinehurst 2 years ago?

I've heard a number of players call it dangerous mainly because of the rough.  One player had to WD because he hurt himself.

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 05:06:07 PM »
This is by far the most exciting US Open in recent memory.  The course and the course setup is a huge factor.  BRAVO to the USGA and the entire staff and membership at Oakmont.  Now, back to the telecast...

John_Cullum

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 05:34:55 PM »
Frankly, I think this rough is out of hand. It makes the architecture seem as if needs protection
"We finally beat Medicare. "

redanman

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 05:37:04 PM »
Merion 1981. ;)

Actually, It is fantastic to see arboricide getting such positive press.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 05:41:12 PM »
I may have been to close, but did Pebble in 2000 have issues?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 06:23:35 PM »
I'm with Ran.  Having not one, or two, but THREE driveable par 4's is incredible.  

Michael Christensen

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 06:46:53 PM »
as stated earlier, #17 is a GREAT hole.....Angel laid up, made bogey, Furyk went for the green and made bogey....there is no single way to play that hole!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 06:47:46 PM »
I love the set-up, I wasn't sure what to think at first but I have fallen in love with Oakmont.

tlavin

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 06:52:56 PM »
I love the set-up, I wasn't sure what to think at first but I have fallen in love with Oakmont.

I think fans who tuned in would agree.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 06:54:20 PM »

I think fans who tuned in would agree.

I am ready to rip all the trees off our old course.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 06:59:37 PM »
Sorry

I still think the rough is not necessary.  It would have been better with less rough.  I will take '99 at Pinehurst anyday.

Ciao

I can see your theory, I for one like the rough but there certainly are some similarities between the two courses. I do like the way the USGA has kept the fans back some to prevent the rough from being knocked over.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2007, 07:03:36 PM »
As much as I love the long rough (I don't really buy the idea that it is hazardous to the players' health), I wonder whether the setup would've been even more fun to watch if the rough had been a bit shorter, with furrowed bunkers as compensation.  I thought that at times, players were able to do more out of the fairway bunkers than I'd have liked to see.  But all in all, I hope the USGA bottles this setup for future Opens.  To that end, I really hope they reconsider playing Torrey Pines at 7500+ yards.  Otherwise, we won't have the opportunity to see Furyk-type players have a good shot at winning.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2007, 07:05:12 PM »
I agree with both Ran and Sean. I woyld personally prefer more 1-1/2 inch rough and son=mething slightly more playable farther out. But, I have been fascinated by this Open. Will Tiger be the first person to birdie 18 to win? We'll see.

Sean- the opoesite of your observation about the difficulty of coming from behind is that the leaders were always only a shot away from disaster and bringing lots of people back in.

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Ted Kramer

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2007, 07:39:18 PM »
Best I can remember watching.
Cheers to the USGA and everyone involved.
The Oakmont members should be very very proud!!

-Ted

Sam Morrow

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2007, 07:40:25 PM »
Best I can remember watching.
Cheers to the USGA and everyone involved.
The Oakmont members should be very very proud!!

-Ted

The Oakmont members think it was to easy.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2007, 07:54:08 PM »
This Open has made me even more sure of the fact that I love the "antiseptic test" type golf course . . . I'd love to be a member at a course like Oakmont. I'd enjoy getting the shit kicked of of me round after round. It would make the odd good score something to really relish.

Oakmont looked amazing on TV, I loved everything about it!! If it plays tougher than that for the members on a day to day basis, I have to give them all props. Good for them, that is some serious golf!!!!!

-Ted

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2007, 07:55:26 PM »
This was a great great great test of championship golf and the USGA let the diversity of the golf course work to allow decisions that properly executed gave good results but bad choices or execution were penalized.

Well done.

I agree the rough could have been a bit less lush but that's quibbling with minutiae.

There was some discussion now on page two that ripped into the USGA with poorly worded stereotypes.  They were wrong.

Well done Angel - 69 on Sunday with the world's #1 and 3 on your tail is fine golf.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2007, 08:06:46 PM »
A quite hero in all this may well be Steve Smyers, a USGA Board Member and also an ASGCA Member. For the first time — perhaps ever — the USGA has involved a golf course architect, both on the Board and also in decisions on daily set up of the Open venue.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Phil McDade

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2007, 08:09:23 PM »
Sean:

Cabrera made up four shots today and teed off in front of at least 12 players; he passed a bunch of folks today. In the crucible of the last round of the US Open, he shot a very good round while others did not. Not terribly unlike what Lawrie did in '99.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2007, 08:58:21 PM »
The broadcast this afternoon was captivating, especially the short par 4's. Just a fantastic course and setup.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back