News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Zarlengo

Tripp Davis
« on: June 13, 2007, 08:11:25 PM »
I met Tripp Davis today at the course I am working on this summer.  Seemed like a real nice guy, but I cant say that I am familiar with any of his work. What are some impressions of his designs? Restoration work at Engineer's?

Ron Farris

Re:Tripp Davis
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 08:53:40 PM »
Is TD doing a golf course in Granby, Colorado, and is this where you are working?

Peter Zarlengo

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 10:01:44 PM »
Thats the one. Orvis Shorefox is the name of the course.

astavrides

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 04:30:59 AM »
If you are in granby, it will be easy to check out Grank Elk, which he designed.  I liked it.  Also, I liked the Tribute, GB&I replica course in Texas.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 07:07:55 AM »
Peter,

I have talked with Tripp several times.  He is a really good guy.

All of the work I have seen of his has been good.  I really liked what he did at Cherokee Hills just north of Tulsa.  

If anyone is going to be in the area for the PGA later this year check this course out.  

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 08:22:25 AM »

Tripp Davis used to visit this site and was very willing to share information on his thought process in restorations.

Sadly, he was shouted down by some who had never seen the clubs.  Wouldn't it be nice if he could walk us through the Engineers restoration?

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 08:24:07 AM »
Thats the one. Orvis Shorefox is the name of the course.

Orvis Shorefox?! What's the significance of the name, Peter? Just curious.

Makes me think Baltus Roll  ;)
jeffmingay.com

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 08:28:44 AM »
A big "Amen" to Brother Hamilton on this one.

paul cowley

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 08:42:34 AM »
Tripp was accepted in the ASGCA earlier this year and during this limited exposure I was left with the impression that he was passionate and intelligent about his work and golf design in general.

He seems to possess a fine game as well.

He doesn't seem the type to let a few yo-yo's run him off from anything....much less this site.

He probably just found something more interesting for the time being......like I'm going to do as soon as I post this. :)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 09:48:23 AM »
A second AMEN to Hamilton's post.

Trip was willing to post his thoughts here as an architect and as a class amateur competitor.  

I have seen his work at Engineers several times and it improved the course immensely.

As Hamilton mentioned, Trip was hounded again and again, mostly by Tom MacWood who had never seen the work himself but had a bunch of small very old photos from magazines as his standard.  While Tom contributed a great deal by taking the time to dig up old artifacts of the history of several golf courses I questioned his interpretation in many instances and certainly his constant harassing of Trip was the worst offense of all.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 09:50:37 AM »
I know Trip quite well, and I am sure I can get him back onto the site.
Next time I see him at ana event I will pass on the request to discuss his work at Engineers, we have talked at length about it and it really is very interesting.
Tripp is a very humble individual, and rather reluctant to sound his own horn, but from what I have seen his work is very detailed and traditional.

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 09:56:18 AM »
I'll have to agree to disagree with the others re: the Engineers situation. I thought it was healthy debate, though I can understand why Tripp wouldn't want to have it in public, given his relationship with the club. It was in no way shouting down anyone.

Without healthy disagreement, what do we have here?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 09:58:32 AM »

Squid-pro-quo.  The problem with MacWood was that he treated everyone equally.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 10:06:35 AM »
I'll have to agree to disagree with the others re: the Engineers situation. I thought it was healthy debate, though I can understand why Tripp wouldn't want to have it in public, given his relationship with the club. It was in no way shouting down anyone.

George-

when you make your points back and forth its a debate.

when the point has been made and you continue to press on asking the same things with your own spin OVER and OVER again its harassment.

ironic that when he was similarly harassed he left too! I hope he comes back and I hope Trip comes back.  

mike_malone

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 10:33:04 AM »
 "Shouted down", "hounded", "harassing"--How do these words advance the discussion?
   The thread in question was  back and forth based on work done at the course versus an interpretation of some archival material. This is a good foundation for a discussion. I recall it was a good give and take between the ideals of pure restoration and the realities of in the field work.

I would agree that Tom MacWood was persistent.
AKA Mayday

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 10:46:27 AM »
Geoff, I guess my read of the thread was similar to Mike's - seemed like a really interesting discussion of theory versus practice.

I, too, wish both would return. It didn't seem Tom M left over being harassed, he left over disagreement of the deleting of his post(s) (which I felt was warranted).
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 10:49:02 AM »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 11:00:46 AM »
Trip
What was your thought here? Is this your idea of Strong's original intent having multiple bunkers set amoung irregular hillocks?

Emmet made some minor changes to the eighteenth and sixteenth greens in 1921.

Does the hole still look like this today?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 11:01:57 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Mike_Young

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 11:08:31 AM »
Come on guys.....you can't expect someone to come on here and argue for work he did on a golf course.....he has nothing to gain....there is an entire club membership sitting out there in cyberspace that could backfire on you in a second......
Give me one good reason why Tripp or any other architect should explain themselves to this website for work they did for a membership club somewhere......And tell me why it would be beneficial to them.....
1500 vs. 24,000,000......
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

mike_malone

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 11:17:51 AM »
 Mike,

I certainly agree with you that it is difficult for an architect to engage in the discussion that took place on that thread. But, it was educational.
AKA Mayday

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 11:34:14 AM »
Mike,

As Christopher Phillips writes, "It is virtually impossible in many instances to know what we believe in daily life until we engage others in dialogue."

The Socratic method can be very upsetting because it forces us to articulate our beliefs carefully, really to confront our own dogma.

Tripp Davis did a fine job articulating his thoughts and beliefs.  Hopefully, the site helped him improve upon what was running around in his head, to the benefit of his future clients.

As he mentioned, he came on this site for education.  Using the site's Socratic elements to run your views through it in my humble opinion is one of the best things about this site.  The alternative is to accept the reason of things from custom and authority.

Mark

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 01:12:08 PM »
Mark this day down!  On this date in history Hammy said something that I would actually agree with.  That thread clearly exposed some people who don't live in the real world.

I am probably the only one here who regularly plays a Tripp Davis course. He did an extensive remodel/renovation/reconstruction of my home course Lakeside Memorial here in fantastic Stillwater, Oklahoma in 1998. The work he did is very well received and brought a tired old muni back to life. Very good stuff for a very low price.

I have also played his Belmar course in Norman,  which also is very good work but has suffered some maintenance issues.

In addition Tripp has done some good work restoring some of Perry Maxwell's old courses like Muskogee Country Club that turned out well.

I hope to see his work at Cherokee Hills soon.

I thought he was a great addition to GCA.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 01:14:32 PM by Craig Edgmand »

Greg Clark

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 05:36:52 PM »
I live pretty close to The Tribute and have played it numerous times.  It is a blast to play, and is one of the 2 most successful public facilities in the DFW area.  Very well done.

Davis is building a second course there, and Justin Leonard has supposedly signed on to the project.  It will not be a links design and will have some housing on it (The Tribute has none).  An employee there told me it was going to be a "northeastern" style course.  When I asked what that meant he didn't know.  I'm guessing he meant parkland, as at least part of the course looks like it will play through a wooded area.  Slated for a 2009 opening according to him.

Peter Zarlengo

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 07:58:02 PM »
Greg- Justin Leonard is on board with trip on this course here in Granby as well.

I never knew that he was a contributer on this site before. I'll check out that link to the "meltdown" discussion. I am also off to play Grand Elk sometime soon while I'm up here.

Could one characterize his work as any type or style?

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 07:59:35 PM »
Is this the same Tripp Davis that will be playing  in the Northeast Amateur next week?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back