News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Zeni

Oakmont Will Be WET....
« on: June 13, 2007, 07:57:28 PM »
..on Thursday.

We've been having terrible electrical storms since 5PM EDST. I was posting at that time concerning the weather change, but we lost power when a particularly loud crackle rattled the windows and shook the foundation of your soul. A steady rain, and I'm about 25 miles SW of Oakmont as the crow flies, persists at this hour.

Prior to the blackout, television stations were warning of nickel size hail, and 60mph gusts. We didn't get the hail, but the wind and rain persist, as does the lightning and associated thunder.

With the wet conditions, talk shows are buzzing about how the players will attack the course, instead of playing defense.

For those not living in Western PA - this is a typical summer condition. Beautiful by day, but as the humidity increases and rises during the day, it makes a sudden return in the form of thunderstorms in the late afternoon.

Hey, don't say the Crazy 8 Ball didn't warn you.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 08:11:00 PM by Tom Zeni »

Tom Zeni

Re:Oakmont Will Be WET....
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 08:12:36 PM »
Apologies for the previous typo's, now corrected. I didn't know if we'd have power, or lose it again.

The high temperature today was 88*. We are currently at 63* with continued light rain.

nandoal

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 08:38:25 PM »
I live two streets from the gates at Oakmont (10th Street).  I'd guess we got maybe a 1/4 inch of rain.  Won't be as much of a factor as you would think tomorrow IMO.

Also just had my 1st player encounter of the week as a ran into Patty Harrington while getting PIZZA tonight.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 08:44:20 PM »
Thanks for the onsite reports, fellows.   You must be totally jazzed waiting for tomorrow.

I'm really happy to see Pittsburgh in the limelight.   The people there really deserve it and I wish you all the best.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 08:49:04 PM by MPCirba »

Tom Zeni

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 08:45:47 PM »
Allan,

We heard that "10th and Maryland" is open to parking without a pass. Do you know anything about that?

Tom Zeni

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 08:49:15 PM »
Thanks Mike. "Jazzed" is as good as word as any to state the excitment.

The rain has stopped in my locale. It's show time!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 08:51:38 PM »
Thanks Mike. "Jazzed" is as good as word as any to state the excitment.

Tom,

Well, it's contagious, because I'm excited on the other side of the state!   I can't wait to see the course in action.

p.s....just saw Arnie get the "tree question".   GREAT to see he handled it as an advocate for what was done.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 08:53:12 PM by MPCirba »

Tom Zeni

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 08:54:07 PM »
Just watching the Golf Channel has me pumped. Great 'pub' for Pittsburgh.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 10:27:08 PM »
I was in the media tent when it hit and it seemed like a reprise of the famed blast of '73 when a "storm out of the pages pf the last judgment" ripped down a portion of the tent.

There was hail and it poured.

Lightning flashed and the thunder rolled!

Tony Ristola

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 04:15:11 AM »
Oakmont will be wet...

Maybe they should install subair? ;D

Tom Zeni

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
Sub-Air?  Oakmont, at the cost of $1Million, just put in astro-air in the form of a 2nd bridge. It's the only way to cross over the PA Turnpike to get to holes 2 thru 8. The 2nd bridge is for the return trip to the 9th and the back nine.

Large long drainage ditches covered by waist high grass take the water off the course.

From the AP:
Officials Don't Expect Significant Changes After Rain Douses Oakmont

OAKMONT, Pa. (AP) - So much for those dreams of a firm, fast U.S. Open at Oakmont.

Nearly a half-inch of rain fell during a Wednesday afternoon
thunderstorm that also scattered tree limbs and twigs across fairways. But crews were out as soon as the rain stopped, and officials hope the course won't play significantly different Thursday.

Speed of the greens should be the same, said Tim Moraghan, the U.S. Golf Association's agronomist, but firmness could be affected.

"It's not going to be what we planned for," Moraghan said. "Things were moving along quite well (before the storm). We thought we'd have a true, hard test for players on Thursday. The rain has altered this a little bit.

"We're going to try and do everything we can to get the golf course back to where it was before this little rain."

It had been about a week since any significant rainfall in the
Pittsburgh area, allowing the course to play as firm and fast as expected for a U.S. Open. With the weekend forecast calling for clear skies and warm temperatures, the greens were expected to firm up even more.

But the storm dumped four-tenths of an inch of rain. There were a few puddles on the course, but the bunkers and fairways should dry easily. Getting the moisture out of the greens could take a few days, Moraghan said.

"It's nothing substantial that's going to alter the golf course,"
Moraghan said. "The bunkers are fine, the greens are fine, the fairways are fine."

Tiger Woods was hitting 2-iron on the practice range Wednesday, and he was thinking about using that instead of his 5-wood. The rain might change his plans if the fairways are not running as fast, and he might have to hit more drivers.

That's one area where rain could make a difference.

"If we have rain, I think I will put the driver in play on quite a few more holes," Ernie Els said earlier in the week. "If it stays the way it is now, where the ball is running, I'm going to play conservatively off the tee and get myself in the fairway and take it from there."

JohnV

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 04:41:29 PM »
I went out at 8:28 this morning with my group.  I wore regular tennis shoes and my feet did not get wet even tromping through a lot of the rough.  The course drained very well, although the greens were slightly softer than they had been the day before.

Great round from Cabrera, he hits it a mile.  He had 142 into #9 from the center of the fairway.  That is 335 uphill, although it was downwind at the time.  My observer who was up there was in awe of how far it went past him.  Goosen had trouble hitting the fairways, missing both ways and made a bad mental error on 18 in trying to get to the green from the first fairway bunker.  Donald was somewhat up and down on the front 9, but steadier on the back.

JESII

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 04:59:09 PM »
From the short bit I saw today, and the forecast for the next three days...look out +10...

CHrisB

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 05:20:22 PM »
The question is...when will be the last time anyone is under par for the tournament. I don't think anyone will make it 36 holes under par--maybe 27.

JESII

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 05:44:13 PM »
Great call Chris...30 holes with players under par...and it looks like 31 with a player at par...

EDIT...change that, his scrambling I saw was on #4 and he made par...looking at a 4 footer for par at #5 right now...

RE-EDIT...missed the four footer...6:10pm on Friday and the 31 holes succesfully played at par...

Will we ever see it again? Go Bubba!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 06:11:50 PM by JES II »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back