News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Golf destinations for knumbskulls..
« on: May 26, 2007, 10:48:34 PM »
I'm sitting on the porch of the Stone Mountain Inn after watching the laser show and fireworks on a backdrop of General Lee, a once president Davis and some other racist backwards bastard and I'm thanking my hard to find Catholic God in this Babtist hell hole that I didn't bring my golf clubs on this trip.  Are there any other golf resorts in the country where one is better off drunk?  Is there any place in the county you are less likely to bump into Brad Klein then Stone Mountain, Ga.?

Mike_Young

Re:Golf destinations for knumbskulls..
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 10:57:19 PM »
You picked a good one....
How long are you there.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 11:12:31 PM »
Mike,

It is my youngest sons 12th birthday and he is a huge Confederate and Civil War fan so we found this place that is also near Auburn.  I think we are going to the Braves tomorrow if you could show.  I am posting on my phone and can't read IM's because of memory shortage.  Give me a call at 618-928-3993.  I just don't have time to golf on this trip as even my wife is along.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 11:21:16 PM »
Maybe Hawaii?   Hawaii draws knumbskulls from all over the world.  The only time I played Princeville the guy and his wife show up on the first tee and he pulls out a range ball for his opening drive.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 11:39:14 PM »
Maybe Hawaii?   Hawaii draws knumbskulls from all over the world.  The only time I played Princeville the guy and his wife show up on the first tee and he pulls out a range ball for his opening drive.

Joel

Who would you prefer to play with?
Some knumbskull no-nothing who just wasted $50 on 12 Pro V1s
or
Some knumbskull no-nothing who plays a range ball?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 11:40:09 PM by Lloyd_Cole »

paul cowley

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 11:52:13 PM »
John ....I'm sure your son is proud of you....walk up to the top of the rock in the morning and enjoy the view together.
Trail starts over by the RR station [or at least it used to].
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 11:52:52 PM »
I am sitting here drunk and confused.  Why am I sitting on this porch with my son and eight African Americans in front of a stone relief of three hate mongres...Why has America continued to worship such peoples when other countries try to bury their pasts?  You would never see such a monument is Germany or Cambodia...What am I missing here?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 12:03:11 AM by John Kavanaugh »

paul cowley

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 11:56:04 PM »
John ....I'm sure your son is proud of you....walk up to the top of the rock in the morning and enjoy the view together.
Trail starts over by the RR station [or at least it used to].

I'd second Pauls suggestion....its a nice walk.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 12:16:09 AM »
Paul,

Are you seconding your own second?  Does anybody make a better rocking chair then the southerners?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 01:39:43 AM »
I am sitting here drunk and confused.  Why am I sitting on this porch with my son and eight African Americans in front of a stone relief of three hate mongres...Why has America continued to worship such peoples when other countries try to bury their pasts?  You would never see such a monument is Germany or Cambodia...What am I missing here?

Lee freed his slaves in 1858, kept them on as servants until they could find a more solid economic founding.

I think there are still remnants of the Seigfried Line in Germany. How many pieces of the Berlin Wall are littered about the world?

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 03:25:29 AM »
John,
Thoroughly enjoying the post. Keep up the good work and have a drink on me. BTW, I was at LMU yesterday checking out their Short Game practice area. The green rolls about 11 on the stimp meter!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 03:50:45 PM »
Barney,

I guess deep down I always knew you weren't really a hillbilly, even though the verdict just came in.  

As for the local golf, RTJ built some interesting greens at the original 18 at Stone Mountain and the opener is a darned good hole and test.  Note:  They might have switched the nines - the original opener was very hilly with a plateau green.

Perhaps you should bring your son next time you come to Nashville.  They laid out five dead Confederate generals on the back porch of Carnton Mansion after the Battle of Franklin after General Hood got liquored up and let the Union army sneak by less than a 3-wood away in the middle of the night to fortify the town.  I'm not much on Civil War history, but read "Widow Of The South" about the private cemetery that Mrs. Carnton created and catalogued by relocating the dead bodies of Southern boys from hastily dug mass graves.  

Mike
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 08:27:23 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 04:12:17 PM »
Speaking of the Civil War - there's a decent daily-fee course about 5 miles SE of the battlefield at Gettysburg.  Called, "The Links at Gettysburg", it's anything but a links, but it can be a fun day of golf.

They do get a bunch of weekend outings and you DON'T want to find yourself behind one unless you like 6 hour rounds.

Tim Bert

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 04:21:25 PM »
Nothing better than a climb to the top of Stone Mountain to enjoy the breathtaking view of smoggy downtown Atlanta in the summer.  At least it presents the modern golf dilemma - do you take the ski-ramp-car-thingee to the top, or walk?  I always thought the hike was a good one.  Not too strenuous, but enough to get the heart pumping if you take it at a good pace.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 06:15:52 PM »
John;

Dem boys down yonder got them some pretty huncky courses thereabouts. Shoot, peers even ya'll are just a hop, a skip, and a jump for Ooltewah, TN. I am certain had you had the sense God gave a goose, some clubs and a call woulda put you onto one of best South of the Mason-Dixon.

Doug

PS: Seriously, enjoy those fabulous mountain views. God's own Country!

John_Cullum

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 08:12:21 PM »
I thought one of the courses there was pretty good.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 08:39:45 PM »
I just drove past the golf courses on the way to dinner and they looked outing fine.  

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 10:49:05 PM »
John,

I've played both courses at Stone Mountain.   The RTJ Sr. "Stonemount" course is actually pretty good.

The other course, by John Lafoy, has to be seen to be believed.  

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2007, 10:56:07 PM »
John,

I've played both courses at Stone Mountain.   The RTJ Sr. "Stonemount" course is actually pretty good.

The other course, by John Lafoy, has to be seen to be believed.  

This is a pretty good assessment.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Chris Cupit

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2007, 10:29:19 AM »

Actually, you are missing a lot and I'd love to fill you in on exactly what one day, but.....it would take a very long time and highjack the thread.  PS.  It's Baptist. :)

But, I will admit that for the most part, if you are looking for good golf in the South, go somewhere else other than Atlanta :(

John_Cullum

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2007, 10:49:37 AM »
PS.  It's Baptist. :)

But it's pronounced BABtist
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Dan Kelly

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2007, 10:53:30 AM »
P.S. It's numbskull.

But it's pronounced KNUMBskull.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Joe Hancock

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2007, 11:19:53 AM »
P.S. It's numbskull.

But it's pronounced KNUMBskull.

I've been waiting....... ;D

And, you didn't disappoint!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back