News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Burroughs

To finish up the tour of Cape Fear, here are before & after
pics of the back nine, to complement yesterday's front nine tour.

#10, par 4:

Approach shot before:

Left greenside bunker before:

Right greenside bunker before:

Tee shot after:

Fairway bunkers after:

Green before:

After:

#11, par 5:

Former left fairway bunker location:

Now restored:

New right fairway bunker:

Green before:

New, Biarritz-looking green:

#12, par 4:

Approach before:

Left greenside bunker before:

After:

#13, par 4:

Tee shot before:

After:

Green before:

After:

New hole, par 3 14th:

#15, par 4:

Tee shot before:

New left fairway bunker:

Green before:

Right approach bunker:

Left green side bunkers:

Ross' #15 green plan (for larger version to see type, click here):

#16, par 3:

Green before:

After:

Rstored 3-tiered green:

Ross' #16 green plan (for larger version to see type, click here):

#17, par 4:

Tee shot before:

After:

Right fairway bunker after:

Right greenside bunker before:

After:

#18, new, 'old' par 4:

Green location, now practice green, used to be old #18 green:

New approach:

Ideal approach angle:

Across fairway to clubhouse, with fairway bunker:

Sketch of 'new' #18:

A.G._Crockett

Scott,
For whatever reason, most of the pictures are just not coming up on my computer, either at work or at home.  

For anyone else having the same problem, here is a link to Kris Spence's website where there are wonderful photos along the before and after lines that Scott has posted:

http://www.krisspence.com/capefeargallery1.html

The work on the bunkers alone looks stunning.  Can't wait to get there and see it.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Scott_Burroughs

This is the site where I'm posting from, Kris' original photo site, If you can see them below:

click here

Click on each hole to get all the pics, then on each pic to enlarge them.

michael j fay

The Donald Ross Society will be holding it's Annual Meeting at Cape Fear and the Wilmington Muni next year in May.

Tim Rooney

Scott,many thanks for sharing the wonderfull course bunkering.Played Congress Lake,yesterday,and enjoyed not only the greenside bunkering but the roll and speed of their Ross greens.Kindly offer your overview of your college course/Dye renovation ?

A.G._Crockett

Mysteriously, all of the pictures came up for me for the first time this morning.  They are spectacular.

I am especially interested to see #16 (formerly #17), along with the "new" 18th.  #16 was a pretty stout par 3 already; played about 200 yds., with bunkers on both sides.  The increased drop-offs on both sides, plus the tiers on the green make it look really strong!

The current #17 was a solid finishing hole, and I know the space for the new 18th was a little tight.  I'm excited to see what Kris Spence did there; the green looks very demanding, even with a short iron approach.

The other hole that I am really interested in seeing is #10.  It was below the standards of the rest of the back 9, and it looks to be really beefed up now.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

paul cowley

I think the photos look great and the restoration seems to be in good hands. We [Love Golf Design], are finishing up a similar restoration, armed with the same detailed plans, at the Brunswick CC, in what appears to be similar terrain.

We have found out how much the course can change over the years from its original state, and also what exists in the lower layers to help restore it back.
In our case not only did we have the plans, but when the course was built, the pushed up surfaces were covered with an 8" seed bed layer of a black, sandy organic material.....which made it very easy to determine what was actually built.
We plan to have the course open again in November.

Good looking job Kris.....18 looks to be an excellent addition as well.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

A.G._Crockett

Paul,
Any chance of a similar post about the work at Brunswick CC?  I, for  one, would dearly love to see it.

Mike_Cirba

OH yeah..sure...put the pale brown course in the "Before" photos and the lush bright green one in the "Afters"!  ;)

Kinda like the pics in those weight loss adds where they are obviously sucking in their guts!  ;D

Seriously, it looks interesting and well-done and I'm curious if this was a complete "restoration" to original specs or whether some liberties were taken with new bunkers and or new placement of original bunkers?

paul cowley

AG....there was a thread here some months back with a few photos.....but I would instead suggest you get your butt down here to see for your self.

paul 912 222 1616

....and Mike, I was amazed at the difference between the current versus the original greens that we uncovered....it would unmake the skeptic in you... :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 11:00:49 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

A.G._Crockett

Re:Photos of Kris Spence's Restoration of Ross' Cape Fear CC (Back 9)
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 11:57:32 PM »
AG....there was a thread here some months back with a few photos.....but I would instead suggest you get your butt down here to see for your self.

Paul,
I remember the earlier thread well; just hoping for updates.  But you're right, of course; in person wins every time.

It'll be next spring, but I promise I'll take you up on that invitation.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back