News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil_Crafter

'Golf Architecture' magazine Issue 10 now out
« on: May 21, 2007, 12:21:26 AM »
The new issue of the SAGCA 'Golf Architecture' magazine has just been printed and will be available from later this week at www.sagca.org.au

I've included a list of articles and their authors as well as a preview of the cover and its photo of Hole 15 at the new Magenta Shores course in NSW (Ross Watson architect). This will be the last issue that Paul Mogford and I will be editing as we have decided to retire from the post after 10 years and 10 issues. Seemed like a nice round number. A new editorial team will be announced shortly.

Here's the list of articles:
>   “Bernard Darwin and his Eclectic 18” by Tom MacWood
>   “Magical Magenta – the Making of Magenta Shores” by Ross Watson
>   “William Flynn – His Life and Work” by Wayne Morrison
>   “Timeless Strategic Holes of the World – The Eden Hole” by George Bahto
>   “Greg Norman – the Interview” interviewed by Paul Mogford
>   “A Golfing Life” by Michael Wolveridge
>   “On a Golf Course Built for One” by Mike Nuzzo
>   “Zokoliana” by Jeff Mingay and Richard Zokol
>   “Glenelg Golf Club – Crafting a Links” by Paul Daley
>   “GA Feature Essay - Dick Wilson’s Excellent Australian Adventure” by Neil Crafter
>   “Twin Creeks” by David Ireland and Graham Marsh
>   “Collecting Golf Architecture Memorabilia ” by Dr Michael Hurdzan
>   “The Partnership of George Thomas and Billy Bell” by Geoff Shackelford
>   “GA Review – Port Fairy GC, Victoria” by Michael Clayton
>   “GA Review – Bandon Trails, Oregon, USA” by James Spence
>   “GA Review – Eastward Ho!, Massachusetts, USA” by Noel Freeman
>   “Disturbance by Design” by George Waters
>   “From Putter to Pencil – Professionals as Golf Course Architects” by Harley Kruse

Thanks to all our contributors, both this year, and years past.

Its our biggest issue ever at 96 pages, up 8 pages from GA9 and there's plenty of good reading in there as well as some excellent photography. Hope you enjoy it and for those GCAers who have not yet seen our magazine we would appreciate your support.

many thanks
Neil

Philip Gawith

Re:'Golf Architecture' magazine Issue 10 now out
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 03:33:41 AM »
Neil - I think your magazine is a really, excellent high quality product. I look forward to receiving it enormously. Many thanks for all the good work - those who take over have big shoes to fill, but a great opportunity too!

Philip

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 05:33:56 AM »
Sean and Philip
Thanks for the kind words. Paul and his wife Tori have just had their second baby - a girl, Pascale, born just last week so he will have his hands full. For me, retirement from the magazine will hopefully free up some time for a couple of book projects that I have begun working on.

It will be interesting to see what direction a new editorial team may choose to take the magazine in, however, I do not think it will be too radically different from what we have developed to date.
cheers Neil

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 10:31:58 AM »
Neil,
    I look forward to seeing your latest issue. It was a great pleasure to stop by and visit during our trip.
    I was intrigued by the semi-revetted bunkering you did at Glenelg. How long have you been using that technique and what prompted you to start using it. For those who are curious I don't have any pictures, but imagine a bunker that has the top 1/4 of the face revetted.
   Good luck with the Darwin book.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

KBanks

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 07:45:14 PM »
Neil,
    I look forward to seeing your latest issue. It was a great pleasure to stop by and visit during our trip.
    I was intrigued by the semi-revetted bunkering you did at Glenelg. How long have you been using that technique and what prompted you to start using it. For those who are curious I don't have any pictures, but imagine a bunker that has the top 1/4 of the face revetted.
   Good luck with the Darwin book.

Ed, pray tell us more about "the Darwin book".

Ken

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 08:06:04 PM »
Looking forward to this edition and Tom Paul someday returning my issues 1-9.  Congratulations on a great run, Neil.  Going out with a bang.  The bar is set very high for those that follow.  I look forward to future issues and hope they don't stray too far from the model you created.

By the way, that Wayne Morrison is my favorite author.  I understand his chapter on Flynn is quite good...well, long in any case ;)

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 11:56:25 PM »
Ed
Thanks for the note - nice to catch up with you too. Sorry your golf in Adelaide was a bit wet - but we needed the rain!

The bunkering at Glenelg is sod stacked or revetted, but we flashed the sand up the faces somewhat before starting the revetting which gives the look you are describing I think. We started rebuilding all the bunkers at Glenelg in 1998 as part of a total course redesign and completed it in 2004. I've included a photo that shows this look you are describing. We haven't used it on any of our other projects as we haven't found the right one just yet.

Ken
I am collaborating with US book dealer and Darwin collector Pete Yagi on a thorough (we hope) detailed bibliography of his many writings, golf and non-golf. We have pretty well nailed it down from the book side but still have a lot of work to do on the periodicals side. We have found (so far) 47 different periodical publications that he wrote for at various times of his career and we estimate that there are over 6000 articles from Country Life and The Times alone - its a pretty big job. We plan to publish the bibliography in book form in the next year or so, most likely as a limited edition. Can we put you down for one?

Wayne
Tell Tom to buy his own - as a wealthy retiree he can surely afford to!Yes, you are my favourite author too!  ;)
The Flynn piece came up nicely with a bit of editing down - you'll receive your contributors copies in the next couple of weeks.

cheers Neil

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 11:39:28 AM »
Neil it appears to be an excellent issue.  Is there is sure way to obtain it?  I always go through the web site process of signing up and giving my credit card number and then don't receive the copy.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 05:15:51 AM »
Lynn
Sorry to hear that you have had problems with ordering. Was your credit card charged and you didn't receive the magazine? Send me an IM or an email with the info and I'll try and get to the bottom of it. We'll also work out a way to get you a copy of the new issue.
cheers Neil

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back