News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Andrew

Looking for images of architects
« on: May 20, 2007, 09:02:36 PM »
I'm in need of a two images of architects Herbert Leeds and Herbert Strong. I was wondering if anyone has an image they could post of either architect.

This also got me thinking about the fact that we have no reference to go to for golf course architect's images. If this interests people - and I have quite a few images - where would be a good place to post them for others to access?

Would Golf Architecture Pictures . com be a good spot ?
Would an "In My Opinion" Piece work?

Jeff Doerr

Re:Looking for images of architects
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 09:13:27 PM »
Ian - no pictures from me, but I love the start of your Top 25 list!
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 09:25:59 PM »
The Karsh photo of Stanley Thompson

One that I'm fond of because of his youth - the opening ceremony at Jasper Park

« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 09:27:07 PM by Ian Andrew »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 09:28:35 PM »
Wasn't the guy in the first pic the star of "The Honeymooners"?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »

This also got me thinking about the fact that we have no reference to go to for golf course architect's images. If this interests people - and I have quite a few images - where would be a good place to post them for others to access?

Would Golf Architecture Pictures . com be a good spot ?
Would an "In My Opinion" Piece work?

I think you should work with Ran and create a section here on this site. What better place could there be for such a reference? I think the idea you have is great!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Ian Andrew

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 07:48:55 AM »
I'm bumping this because I still need the images

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 08:02:46 AM »
Here is a photograph of Herbert Strong from The Architects of Golf:

Ian Andrew

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 08:11:00 AM »
Thanks Wayne,

Ian

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 08:14:39 AM »
You are certainly welcome, Ian.  I cannot find anything on Herbert Leeds.  Interestingly, it would seem no pictures exist of Howard Toomey either  :-\
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 08:14:49 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 08:37:51 AM »
I have a golfing image from American Golfer, but my major concern is there was more than one H. Leeds playing at the time. The caption is clearly H. Leeds. He was H.C. Leeds - the other was H.W. Leeds.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 01:54:27 PM »
Ian,

I might be able to help you out, I'll check my files when I return home from work today.

TK

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 11:32:27 PM »
Ian — Contact Whitten. He has a file on all these guys. In fact, Leeds likely rents a back room from Ron and his wife.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Sean_Tully

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 12:35:51 AM »
Ian

If you have lost all hope there are a couple of angles to work on they are the path least traveled, but can lead to some cool stuff!

He would have been an important figure at the time, so I would start with a couple of specifics...

Find out where he lived

Find a book that details the Who's Who for that given area

Take a note of the clubs/societies that he was a member of and then contact their historian and see if they have anything. Given his timeframe he would of been involved in the formation of clubs, societies, etc.

Look into the local papers, the bigger the better and see if they have any photo collections. They have a ton of photos for the Call Bulletin in San Fran that I still have to tap into for example that pertains to my research.

Once you locate his place of death dig into the obits and find the trail for relatives. I tracked down a relative this way and I had a better understanding of his family history than he did.

I have found a number of books that give a short biography of the person and have taken alot of info on them from that. If you can locate the local historical society and look through what they have as well. I looked through old photo albums for three afternoons and found two pictures of that showed the property for Meadow Club in 1913.

Do you know if he went to college? He could have given them his papers, and photos and such?!!?!

Look into people that he was close to like A.H. Fenn.
Talk to the people at Palmetto Golf Club?

If you have any questions feel free to IM.

An idea, if anyone finds info they should post it and have this thread as the beginning of a database on Leeds. Others can work on leads from that and we can see where it goes.

Good luck,

Tully

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 01:21:58 AM »
Well,

TEPaul's image of a golf course architect is a hard drinking, half to full drunk sitting under a tree barking orders that he would have never concieved of if sober........ :o

That is what you meant, isn't it Ian?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Sébastien Dhaussy

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 12:29:36 PM »
I have a golfing image from American Golfer, but my major concern is there was more than one H. Leeds playing at the time. The caption is clearly H. Leeds. He was H.C. Leeds - the other was H.W. Leeds.

Ian,

I think I've a photo (sorry for the bad quality) of Herbert Leeds but your explanation put me in doubt now  ???

Is he the good Herbert Leeds ?

"It's for everyone to choose his own path to glory - or perdition" Ben CRENSHAW

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 12:50:13 PM »
Ian,

I'll ask Geoff Cornish if he has anything on Herbert Leeds.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 01:07:12 PM »
I couldn't get this to post, but here is a link to the photo (courtesy of Geoff Shackelford and can be found in The Golden Age of Golf Design)

http://bp3.blogger.com/_QDoPVOqOUFg/RlRoIGgdZSI/AAAAAAAAA2w/_10dd7g5Mlo/s1600-h/leeds.jpg

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 01:09:07 PM by Ian Andrew »

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 01:33:31 PM »
There is an article on Myopia that is framed and hangs on the all at the mens locker room there. From memory I would say the artucle is from the 1980s...maybe Golf Digest??? Anyway, there is a nice portrait of the founders — all with their myopic eyeglasses.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back