News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

David Miller

Are there any notable female architects?  Are there any out there at all?  I don't believe I've ever heard of one.

It's really amazing to me how male-dominated is the world of golf architecture.  I can't think of any other field that is so devoid of women.  

I wonder if there are any ladies trying to make their way right now.  Maybe some of the architects on here could share whether they have any female associates or even get female applicants.

Phil McDade

Re:Best female architect of all time? Is there even such a thing?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 04:32:02 PM »
Alice Dye is largely responsible for the 17th at Sawgrass, currently in living color on the GC.

David Miller

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 04:33:03 PM »
Ah yes, forgot about her. Any others?

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 04:36:11 PM »
Marion Hollins?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

TaylorA

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 04:56:16 PM »
Alice Dye is the only one who immediately comes to mind.
All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 05:08:07 PM »

It's really amazing to me how male-dominated is the world of golf architecture.  I can't think of any other field that is so devoid of women.  

Umm.... professional football or baseball??

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 05:13:15 PM »
Marion Hollins?

Marion Hollins is who comes to mind as well. She was responsible for the 16th at CPC and was sent to AGNC in Mackenzie's stead for overseeing work there when he couldn't make it. And of course, what was done at Pasatiempo was commisioned by her. I'm sure she had ideas on what was to be done there.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Sean Walsh

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 05:20:59 PM »
I'm not sure about best female architect of all time but I had the pleasure of meeting Line Mortensen before the Archerfield visit.  She has finished at least one and I'm almost certain two 18 hole courses in Denmark.  

I've seen the strokesaver for one of the courses and it looked interesting (by that I mean worth a side trip if I ever make it to Denmark).  

David Miller

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 05:24:41 PM »

I'm surprised Marion Hollins' involvement with such great projects from the 20-30's hasn't inspired more women to get into the field over the years.  

It seems like there's just Hollins early on, a big gap until Alice Dye came along, and now another Dye.  

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 05:29:03 PM »
Jan Beljan has been working (I thinks she still works for him) for Tom Fazio for a long time...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 05:38:20 PM »
Line Moretensen is the only one I know who really has a business on her own.  It is a tough business to break into and I am not at all surprised that there is a more receptive climate for that in some parts of Europe.

There are four women in the ASGCA, I believe -- Alice Dye, Jan Beljan, Vicki Martz who is one of Palmer's lead associates -- but sadly I can't think of the fourth.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 06:39:07 PM »
I vote for Alice Dye.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 06:49:03 PM »
Molly Gourlay

rjsimper

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 07:11:40 PM »
Amy Alcott is just getting underway
http://www.amyalcott.com/coursedesign.htm

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back