News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Architectural Disasters
« on: May 10, 2007, 12:54:58 AM »
What are some of the worst cases of golf architecture on a golf course that might have had some potential?

Example (perhaps?):

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 12:56:07 AM by Jordan Wall »

Glenn Spencer

Re:Architectural Disasters
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 01:21:42 AM »
JW,

Yeah, that would be a good example, but is that a real course?

Ari Techner

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 01:23:57 AM »
The best example that i can come up with is Bay Harbor in Petosky MI.  This is a heck of a piece of property right on Lake Michigan and the 3 nines they created do not make for any kind of great golf course.  With a different plan and maybe a different designed the place could have been REALLY special.  

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 01:32:17 AM »
Ari,

Great Post!! I have never seen it or played it and I am sure that I share your opinion.  ;D ;D I almost forgot, my perpetual nominee, #8 at Longaberger.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 01:34:14 AM by Glenn Spencer »

wsmorrison

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 06:26:56 AM »
Glen,

Though I've never played it, mostly due to pictures similar to the one posted above, that is Stone Harbor GC along the New Jersey shore by Desmond Muirhead.  It has undergone significant revisions.  I think Desmond was having some fun and may have just seen Jaws when he designed that hole.

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 09:09:34 AM »
I realize I'm the only one but I believe Stone Harbor should be restored to its original glory---or infamy.  I say that because I believe it defined the outside edge of the spectrum of "difference" in golf architecture. I'm a believer that the wider the spectrum of difference the more vibrant the art form will be.

Brad Klein

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 09:25:37 AM »
TEP, good call -- restore Stoned Harbor. I still show slides of that par-3 as the paradigm of 1980s excess.

I'm not sure that site had any "potential," but it became a brillaint example of building something that has nothing to do with golf and everything to do with indulgent artsy-ness.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 09:48:48 AM »
Hmm;

Now; how could I have anticipated that this topic would be used to attack Art Hills some more?

Since Bay Harbor seems to get great reviews by everyone NOT on GCA, it seems clear to me that " ******** would have done better" is the ONLY arguement I will hear about it. Unproved and unprovable!

But by all means, let's 'get Art Hills' some more.

At least Glenn makes some specific arguements about courses like Longaberger and Shaker Run, so one can at least judge for oneself. I find the non-specific complaints about Bay Harbor too 'politically correct' here to appreciate.

I will say that Kearney Hill; the Dye course in Lexington, is too single themed for my taste. Practically every hole is defended by ugly rough. Hit fairways and it's not very special. In Kentucky many hold it in high esteem, but I DO feel it is because of who designed it more than the result. But to be honest, I would NOT call it a disaster, just mediocre for a usually better designer.

Doug

Doug Ralston

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 09:52:37 AM »
BTW Glenn;

We recently played Shaker Run. What exactly IS your problem with #6 on Lakeside? Art makes nice use of a tree to partially defend the green, making a left side approach more desirable. But if you are good at 'high ball', that tree can be cleared entirely. Was the tree your objection, or did I miss the point?

Doug

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 10:02:13 AM »
"I still show slides of that par-3 as the paradigm of 1980s excess."

Bradley:

Here's a question for you that I absolutely demand you answer honestly;

What was a bigger stylistic disaster---Stone Harbor GC or the Leisure Suit?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 10:32:37 AM »
The dumming down of Sitwell Park.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 10:35:50 AM »
The first version of Hazeltine was not greeted with accolades.  Although it did spawn some of the funniest golf architecture quips ever...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 10:46:16 AM »
RJ, How many holes at Hazeltine were changed after that opening?

I don't agree that Desmond's works should be classified as disasters. He did after all design those holes knowing the critic couldn't handle the truth.

Real disasters are those were the designs were meant to be acceptable and somehow were just not carried off, at all.

Other examples of disasters are when the maintenance doesn't match the design. Or, is that criminal?

Jordan, Better define disaster.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brad Klein

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 11:04:54 AM »
Leisure suit lines were simpler -- more like streamlined casual wear.

Stone Harbor requred imagination, verve, madness, considerable quantities of epic Greek mythology for imagineering those tees. I think Stoned Harbor gets the nod. It's the only golf course I know where you don't need a caddie; you need a sherpa who can double as a literary critic to read the ruins.

Eric Franzen

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 11:29:38 AM »
The site for Trump National LA has potential for a pretty good nine hole course - minus one or two waterfalls. The current routing feels way to crammed.

TEPaul

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 12:15:43 PM »
"Leisure suit lines were simpler -- more like streamlined casual wear.

Stone Harbor requred imagination, verve, madness, considerable quantities of epic Greek mythology for imagineering those tees. I think Stoned Harbor gets the nod. It's the only golf course I know where you don't need a caddie; you need a sherpa who can double as a literary critic to read the ruins."

Bradley:

Well, I don't agree with you. I think the Leisure Suit was a much bigger stylistic disaster than Stoned Harbor GC.

And I know what your problem is in agreeing with me. You owned a bunch of Leisure Suits, didn't you? Come on, admit it, I know you did. You used to have a bunch of leisure suits, some shiny white shoes and a slightly longer mop-like haircut, didn't you? I know you did and there's got to be a photograph of you to that effect around somewhere. If I find it I'm posting it on here.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 12:19:22 PM by TEPaul »

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 02:13:33 PM »
I would nominate Orange County as eligible for FEMA help...... >:(

There are a few places that escaped, but not very many.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 02:24:51 PM »
Disaster - a sudden calamitous event bringing great damage, loss, or destruction; broadly : a sudden or great misfortune or failure

The only one I know of is the hole that fell in the pacific ocean.

There is the landslide at the Valley Club - but I think that turned out quite cool.

Where is Paula Abdul when you need her?
I think this topic is bound to create negative discussions.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 02:51:12 PM »
Come on now...

Those polyester leisure suits were da' bomb.  What other clothes can you buy that don't wrinkle, won't rip, can't get holes in them, and comes with a 5 year/50,000 mile warranty.

Ahhh.....the good old days..

Ken Moum

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 03:17:16 PM »
Come on now...

Those polyester leisure suits were da' bomb.  What other clothes can you buy that don't wrinkle, won't rip, can't get holes in them, and comes with a 5 year/50,000 mile warranty.

Ahhh.....the good old days..

As an almost-60-year-old, I can only say they pilled like you wouldn't believe, were hot in the summer and cold in the winter, and were insanely flammable.

That said, I wish my pair of off-white "golf slacks" with a lime-green windowpane plaid were still around, they'd be ideal for playing retro golf.....

LOL

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Doug Ralston

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 03:31:25 PM »
What IS all this 'suit' talk?

From down yonder where I come from, a pair of sneakers and gym shorts was 'real man' gear.

Over-pampered wusses!  8)

Doug

Ryan Crago

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 03:31:48 PM »
What are some of the worst cases of golf architecture on a golf course that might have had some potential?

sounds like sandpines bait Jordan...

Jordan Wall

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 03:35:15 PM »

sounds like sandpines bait Jordan...

No comment.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 03:56:31 PM »
For some architects, wouldn't it be any course that doesn't make someone's best new list, and thereby affecting their marketing efforts for the next few years?

Truly, wouldn't the least acclaimed course of any gca be a disaster for him, at least if on an upward career path?

Or for an owner, hiring a signature gca at great design and construction expense and getting ho hum reviews?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 08:52:50 PM »
Just think of all the courses you have played, been terribly dissappointed and wondered why you wasted the day playing that course and/or all the courses you had enough after 9 or 12 holes and drove in and/or when you got to the 6 tee, you looked at the scorecard to see what hole you were on and thought, "shit, this is going to be one long day"
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back