News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Southward Ho in Long Island
« on: May 09, 2007, 05:21:20 PM »
I'm playing Southward Ho with a buddy next week and know nothing about the place other than it's public and it's shortish.  The internet had almost nothing as did our search engine.

Has anyone played it?  Any info will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Matt_Ward

Re:Southward Ho in Long Island
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 05:31:06 PM »
Jay:

I've played Southward a number of times -- mostly in the Havemayer event played at this time of year.

Very much undervalued Tillie layout. The first few holes belie what comes down the line when playing there.

Be sure to score early because when you make the turning point at the 13th hole -- all of the remaining holes (when playing into a prevailing SW wind) are real bears to handle -- the par-3 14th (223 yards) is one of the best par-3 holes on the Island that gets squat attention.

Course lists a short yardage but at this time of year the cool ocean air has a consistent habit in turning innocent holes into Hannibal Lechter ones. ;D

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 05:41:48 PM »
Nice!  Now I'm really looking forward to it!  Well done, Matt.  I knew I could count on you.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 06:18:20 PM »
I have never played it, but I used to play with a guy occasionally at Long Island National that was a member. It is definitely a private course because he was still pissed at his "Ex" as she got the membership to Southward Ho! in the divorce as the legacy member.  :'(

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 07:06:36 PM »
I have never played it, but I used to play with a guy occasionally at Long Island National that was a member. It is definitely a private course because he was still pissed at his "Ex" as she got the membership to Southward Ho! in the divorce as the legacy member.  :'(

OUCH!  Thank you equitable distribution.  Marry a woman uglier than you (as the old reggae song goes...) and richer too!

What did he get n return, the family dog?

Adam Sherer

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 07:20:07 PM »
I may have the dates wrong, but I believe Tilly did S. Ho! about two years before Winged Foot. It is a private club occupying a relatively flat and small parcel of land. It's pretty indicative of a Tillinghast course (without natural elevation change) - push up greens, heavy greenside bunkering, shot variety, etc.

It has recently undergone some renovation work, as completed by Joel Weiman of McDonald & Sons, Inc. The green complexes have been reworked after a botched renovation job back in the 60s or 70s. The fairway bunkers may or may not be new, I'm not quite sure. They are undergoing a master plan renovation project that will eventually include work on the tees, driving range, and reinstituting some classic Tilly design features (ie the "Great Hazard")

Overall, its a good course from a good architect, but after playing S. Ho! you'll realize why you've never heard of it: it's not in the same league as other nearby Tilly designs and thereby overlooked and overshadowed.
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Robert Emmons

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 09:31:35 PM »
also a new green super this year

ChipRoyce

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 10:12:22 PM »
I grew up playing the course and all the comments here are pretty much spot on. While lacking in length, the pushup greens are pretty demanding, esp. when the green speeds get up there. Very parkland with large areas of fescue in places. Certainly not as good as Winged Foot or Bethpage, but certainly some features reminicient of both.

Interesting to hear about a master-plan project! My dad and I came across an old plan of the course and did see a few waste areas that are no longer there.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 02:59:51 PM »
Great!  I'll review it after I play!

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 05:39:36 PM »
I grew up caddying there.  A great members course with some hallmark Tillie traits.  The 12th and 15th greens are classics that could be on any of his big name designs.  

The course is very private and a pleasure to walk.  In fact, it's the easiest loop on LI and I realized only years later how easy I had it as a kid caddying there.

The cast of characters in the caddy yard ranged from Sam the three-legged dog, to the lazy eyed caddie master, to Eddie the old timer caddy from Timber Point who used to make his own turtle soup . . . a remake of caddy shack could write itself . . .

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 10:20:54 PM »
Is anyone aware of a Northward Ho! or is this the only one of the four major points on the compass without its own Ho! golf course?

ChipRoyce

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 11:54:55 AM »
I grew up caddying there.  A great members course with some hallmark Tillie traits.  The 12th and 15th greens are classics that could be on any of his big name designs.  

The course is very private and a pleasure to walk.  In fact, it's the easiest loop on LI and I realized only years later how easy I had it as a kid caddying there.

The cast of characters in the caddy yard ranged from Sam the three-legged dog, to the lazy eyed caddie master, to Eddie the old timer caddy from Timber Point who used to make his own turtle soup . . . a remake of caddy shack could write itself . . .

Jamie;
Our paths must have crossed at some point back in those days! Wow - I hadn't thought of that mangy mutt with 3 legs in years. Trying to remember the name of the gruff caddy-master. The cast of smelly, drunken characters who looped there were priceless.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 11:58:37 AM »
One of the really interesting holes at Southward Ho is the 8th -- a mid-length par-4 that dog-legs right and features a cool two-tier green.

I remember playing the Havemeyer and the numerous times interesting ruling needed to be made on the hole because of a narrow roadway that runs up left of the putting surface and is located next to a line of hedges that provide a wall of privacy from the adjoining main road.

Lots of interesting features and people at Southward Ho and as I said previously the course really exhibits some teeth when you hit the tee box at the first rate 14th hole.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 01:21:32 PM »
Great...;this is all good news.  Jason, have you been back recently?  Does anyone have a recommendation on who I should ask for as a caddy?  Does anyone know who the best green reader is?

Just to offer the information, the best caddy I ever had was Bobby Hill at Pinehurst.  I recommended him to some friends and they all came back raving about him.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 01:48:56 PM »
One of the really interesting holes at Southward Ho is the 8th -- a mid-length par-4 that dog-legs right and features a cool two-tier green.

I remember playing the Havemeyer and the numerous times interesting ruling needed to be made on the hole because of a narrow roadway that runs up left of the putting surface and is located next to a line of hedges that provide a wall of privacy from the adjoining main road.

Lots of interesting features and people at Southward Ho and as I said previously the course really exhibits some teeth when you hit the tee box at the first rate 14th hole.

Matt;
Interesting that you point out that hole. I'm not a big fan of trees being in play. Once you get in the middle of the fairway, I agree its a great approach shot. That green is tiny and with the two teirs, can be a bear.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 01:50:17 PM »
Jay;
Thinking back - interested to know what you think of the 12th. I've always like that short par 4 - need to favor the right side of the fairway off the tee for your approach.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back