News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Future Hall of Famers
« on: April 30, 2007, 06:48:31 PM »
Should these 3 get in as their records stand today?

We gave our experts three players -- Davis Love III (19 PGA Tour wins, one major), Colin Montgomerie (eight European Tour Order of Merit titles, no majors) and Fred Couples (15 PGA Tour wins, one major) -- and asked them to opine on each one's chances of reaching the HOF someday

Follow the link for the full article
http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2841352

Hard to argue against Love and Monty...but should Couples be in?

John Kavanaugh

Re:Future Hall of Famers
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 07:07:22 PM »
If you use my criteria Freddy gets in far sooner than Love or Monty.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 07:10:05 PM »
If you use my criteria Freddy gets in far sooner than Love or Monty.

What criteria would that be?  I'm guessing popularity on this one, which would also mean John Daly is a mortal lock right?   ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 07:10:21 PM by Kalen Braley »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 07:13:56 PM »
I believe my criteria is outlined on the Seve /Trevino thread and does not bear repeating.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 07:24:51 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 07:25:32 PM »
And why isn't this marked off topic?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 09:24:54 PM »
Off topic or not, it's hard to believe these guys are discussed as possible World Golf Hall of Famers and Charles Blair Macdonald isn't in.
jeffmingay.com

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 09:27:11 PM »
Off topic or not, it's hard to believe these guys are discussed as possible World Golf Hall of Famers and Charles Blair Macdonald isn't in.

That is an excellent observation.

I'm only feeling certain about one...Monty.  I think Freddy will get in based on WHO HE IS...if you know what I mean..he's well liked.

I'll bet you a dollar ESPN chumps one day WILL argue that Daly should get in the hall of fame.  he won at St Andrews!  he'[s Big John!  He hit it a mile!  Crooked Stick!  WHooooooo!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 09:28:06 PM by Jay Flemma »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 09:27:53 PM »
In my opinion, all three lack the merits that would get them in.

Both Davis and Fred are the equivalent of Fred Lynn (sorry you sons of New England). He was an elegant player who was a notch below, whereas Monty is more akin to Dave Kingman. His 8 Order of Merits are impressive, yet he is really just a 560 homer guy who couldn't hit for average because he never won the championships that mattered.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 09:30:42 PM by Philip Young »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 09:33:26 PM »
In my opinion, all three lack the merits that would get them in.

Both Davis and Fred are the equivalent of Fred Lynn (sorry you sons of New England). He was an elegant player who was a notch below, whereas Monty is more akin to Dave Kingman. His 8 Order of Merits are impressive, yet he is really just a 560 homer guy who couldn't hit for average because he never won the championships that mattered.

Even though David Love has the exact same credentials as Tom Kite who is in?

Or does Tom Kite not belong either?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 09:40:28 PM »

Macdonald will get in when the fourth course at Bandon is built and enough golf writers Wikapedia the guy so they don't sound too stupid at the free buffet opening dinner.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 09:43:32 PM »

Macdonald will get in when the fourth course at Bandon is built and enough golf writers Wikapedia the guy so they don't sound too stupid at the free buffet opening dinner.

lol...sad, but hopefully true.  He is long overdue as well as Tillinghast.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 09:54:58 PM »
Honestly, the absence of Macdonald is a discredit to the World Golf Hall of Fame.
jeffmingay.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 10:27:25 PM »
Don't cry for Macdonald as he will be in before the new course at Bandon is one year old.  It is the way of the golf world.  If need be I will mark my words.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 07:54:35 AM »
John:

If that is true then I will have done a service of some kind.  Who should I anoint next?  Do you think if I did a Flynn tribute course instead we could get him in?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 08:15:54 AM »
John:

If that is true then I will have done a service of some kind.  Who should I anoint next?  Do you think if I did a Flynn tribute course instead we could get him in?

I will have to see the book about Flynn before I comment on his inclusion.  I didn't really give you the credit for Macdonald getting in the Hall of Fame as much as I believe it will be a nod to Keiser.  

Brad Tufts

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 03:23:03 PM »
Philip-

Your Monty analogy sounds like Sammy Sosa....
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 03:56:24 PM »
I really wonder whether there is a comparison between the baseball and golf halls of fame.  The history and prestige of the baseball hall of fame is not nearly approached by the golf hall of fame.  The simplest means of establishing credibility is rejecting some borderline choices and that has not yet been attempted.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back