News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Another Mike Strantz masterpiece!
« on: April 23, 2007, 07:05:04 PM »
We all praise Mike's vision in promoting great GCA, but the real greatness of Mike was not what he did for a living, but what he did for others.

Example:  After Hurricane Hugo destroyed the South carolina coast, everyone knows Mike rebuilt two holes at Wild Dunes.

But did you ALSO know he helped rebuild Sunrise Presbyterian Church on the Isle of Palms?  The place held services in a blue tent while being rebuilt.  Mike also designed the stained glass window which double as a crucifix.

Next time you're in SC playing Bulls Bay or Caledonia/True Blue, take a ride down and pay homage to a different Strantz masterpiece, one even more inspiring than a golf course.

Enjoy:

Jay Flemma

Re:Another Mike Strantz masterpiece!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 07:16:24 PM »
Ah...Mike's bark is worse than his bite...except maybe at RNK...that's one tough cookie...

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 09:27:56 PM »
Jay,
Thanks for the photograph.  It's one of the best artistic impressions I've seen of the cross.  

It's iconic in a way.  Simply superb.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 09:35:11 PM »
Yeah, its really something...Jesus crucified AND ascending into Heaven...amazing.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 11:54:27 AM »
Jay,
Thanks for posting this.  Just another reason to honor his memory, and sorrow for the loss.  I sent this to my retired pastor (Presbyterian) who is an avid golfer and a devoted lover of stained glass.  Thanks again.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

BigEdSC

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
Great picture, Jay

One point of clarification.  Sunrise is on Sullivans Island.  It is a great place for sunrise service on Easter Sunday when the sun rises over the ocean.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 12:46:03 PM »
I only met Mike once.  He was clearly a special person.  The cross is more than stunning it tpuches something deep within the heart.  The good news is there are a lot of special people out there.
Thanks for the picture.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 12:48:29 PM »
Great picture, Jay

One point of clarification.  Sunrise is on Sullivans Island.  It is a great place for sunrise service on Easter Sunday when the sun rises over the ocean.

Ed...I'm confused...isn't it right at the point where Isle of Palms and  sullivans meet?  I remember getting lost on my way there...

BigEdSC

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 09:17:25 PM »
Jay

That's right.  It is on the Sullivans Island side of Breech Inlet, where IOP and SI meet.  Great restaurant there at Breech Inlet called the Boathouse.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 12:26:29 PM »
I'll have to try the Boathouse.  My personal fave in the area is the Mustard seed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back