News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Szabo

What would you pay to play...
« on: April 22, 2007, 10:39:43 AM »
I didn't want to sabotage Mr. Huntley's topic on choosing between Augusta, Cypress and Pine Valley, but it lead me to a topic that comes up from time to time among some of my golfing acquaintances.

If you had the chance, what would you be willing to pay to play one of these great courses?

I've heard anything from "not more than $400 - $500" to "up to $5,000".  

Anybody else ever get into these types of discussions?

I know it's not realistic to think about ever getting on one of these true gems, but it is fun to think about it.

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Gary Slatter

Re:What would you pay to play...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 11:43:09 AM »
A few years ago, 1999, a major telecommunications company executive asked a friend of mine how much would it cost for a foursome at Cypress Point.   He said he could arrange it, but in multiples of 3 as a member had to play.  Eventually 6 "customers" played Cypress.  The bill was $100,000.00
He threw in dinner and a round at Pebble Beach.

My personal limit is whatever it costs at the Old Course.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Kirk Gill

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 11:45:44 AM »
The way golf is right now, I have enough trouble affording the local public courses. I have four kids who all want to play, and joining a private club isn't feasible at this point in time. I don't mean to whine, but that's the truth right now.  

What would I pay to play Pine Valley, the course of my dreams? In those same dreams money would be no object. Out here in the real world, where if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it........

I'd probably go with Gary and let TOC set the bar !
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 12:50:20 PM »
Gary,

During the real estate boom in Japan some years ago three Japanese CEO's of music businesses had expressed a desire to play Cypress Point. A friend of mine relayed the message to me that they would make a charitable donation to the San Francisco Opera, if it could be arranged.

I spoke to another friend, Roger Lapham, son of one of the founders of the club and a former director of the Opera Company, if he could help. Help he did. We had lunch at his house, chef and butler at the ready and went off and played a fivesome. Surprisingly enough they could all play and damn well at that.

Drinks afterward and the two of us received presents.

The donation.....one million dollars.

Bob

Ken Moum

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 12:52:13 PM »
My personal limit is whatever it costs at the Old Course.

A fair and reasonable solution. Although you do need to consider that for me, the ticket to Scotland last July was $1250. I can get to Augusta, N.J. or Monterey for ~$300....

Nevertheless, if offered the option of playing ANGC or The Old again... It's gotta be The Old.

Cypress Point or Pine Valley are probably another matter, however.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 01:35:43 PM »
You need to factor in all the costs.

A few years ago I asked a Pine Valley freind if he would host me and 5 others for a round at Pine Valley.  He agreed but we had to play 3 the first day and 3 the second day.  We arrived at noon and had lunch and then played the first day in the afternoon.  We then had a great dinner (with lots of drinks) and stayed on the facility.   We then ate breakfast, played the 2nd round and departed.

If you factor in the airfare, car, caddy fees and the merchandise we purchased, I would estimate the 2 day trip was well in excess of $5,000.

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 03:27:48 PM »
Whatever the green fees are plus caddy fees for myself and my host.  For myself, I would never pay anything above and beyond that.  

However, I can understand why some would donate to a charitable cause.  Pine Valley did a wonderful thing opening their course up to raise money for victims of 9/11.  Bob's SF opera story is a good one and I'm sure the money was needed and gladly received.  I've heard stories where members of great clubs charged a premium for guests.  That is a loathsome enterprise.

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 04:43:32 PM »
Whatever the green fees are plus caddy fees for myself and my host.  For myself, I would never pay anything above and beyond that.  

However, I can understand why some would donate to a charitable cause.  Pine Valley did a wonderful thing opening their course up to raise money for victims of 9/11.  Bob's SF opera story is a good one and I'm sure the money was needed and gladly received.  I've heard stories where members of great clubs charged a premium for guests.  That is a loathsome enterprise.
Wayne,
I also have hear the stories but they involve the member not being a member once they were foun out.....
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Craig Sweet

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 05:42:32 PM »
$80 bucks....if I have to pay more for 18 holes than it costs to ski at the finest ski area in America, then it ain't worth it....regardless of "rating"....
LOCK HIM UP!!!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 05:56:07 PM »
These are courses you get invited to play by members and you can't buy your way in
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 06:00:58 PM »
Yes Cary, that is true, but if you play as an unaccompanied guest the fees for some courses can be $350 - which I've paid and would never ask a member to pay for me. On the other hand, if you are accompanied the rate is about $75 and for that, I would reciprocate at my club.  

rjsimper

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 06:52:10 PM »
Wasn't there a story about a member of Pine Valley (I think it was Pine Valley) who in the aftermath of some sort of disaster (either 9/11, the tsunami, Katrina, or something else) who put a foursome at the club on ebay with the express intent of donating the proceeds to the chosen cause?

I recall the auction being ended and the member being reprimanded...one of those situations where it's easy to see both sides I suppose.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 07:32:10 PM »
Scott, Not to come down on you, but... I find this question to be at the heart of what went wrong in golf.
 Starting with a snot nosed kid at Pebble Beach, who took advantage of the price elasticity there, bottomlines have been a focus rather than the golf.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 07:42:33 PM »
Yes Cary, that is true, but if you play as an unaccompanied guest the fees for some courses can be $350 - which I've paid and would never ask a member to pay for me. On the other hand, if you are accompanied the rate is about $75 and for that, I would reciprocate at my club.  

Ooops, you are correct
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mike Benham

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 09:13:55 PM »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Doug Siebert

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 01:38:57 AM »
Doesn't this mostly depend on how wealthy one is?  If I'm willing to pay $10,000 for something and Bill Gates is willing to pay $10 million, it could be argued its more valuable to me because I'm willing to pay a larger portion of my net worth than Bill Gates is.

Anyway, I don't have much interest in paying over the odds for access to a particular course.  There are many many courses in the world I'd like to play, and even if I had a special gold card that gave me access to any of them with just a phone call, I'd still die without having played many of them.  So why would I want to spend $5000 to play a particular one, unless for some reason I had one course that I absolutely positively couldn't die without having played.  I already played TOC, and that's the only course in the world that belongs on such a list, IMHO.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 08:54:42 AM »
Doesn't this mostly depend on how wealthy one is?  If I'm willing to pay $10,000 for something and Bill Gates is willing to pay $10 million, it could be argued its more valuable to me because I'm willing to pay a larger portion of my net worth than Bill Gates is.

I would certainly agree with your comment.  

Adam, I think what you're speaking about is fair value.  A course is only able to charge what the people are willing to play.  

At any rate, this is something that gets tossed around from time to time at my local club, and we're getting some very interesting answers, which is what I was after.

Augusta National is a very special place to many of us, and it was only magnified for me since I had my first visit a few weeks ago.  The topic came up again with the group I took.

I must say I'm surprised by the amounts that have been shared.  To me, that seems a bit over the top, paying $100,000 for a group and the $1,000,000 donation to play Cypress Point.  

Again, I think Doug's right, it may be easier for these genetlemen to pay these prices than it would be for some of us to come up with $ (name the price), but it may not be as meaningful to them as it would be to others.

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Brent Hutto

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 09:12:40 AM »
I don't think I'm able to extract $500 worth of value from a round of golf. At most that represents the far upper limit assuming it is a great course in ideal condition on a perfect day playing with a group of good friends and I have some semblance of a golf game that day.

But I wouldn't be willing to commit to anything like $500 up front just to show up and play rain or shine in whatever conditions happen to obtain that particular day, especially if I might end up playing by myself. In other words, in the real world no way I pay anywhere close to $500 for a round of golf. So that probably means Pinehurst #2 and Pebble Beach are right out but so be it.

I think the roughly $200 I've paid for a round at the Ocean Course, a day at Deal, a day at Walton Heath or the slightly more than that I paid for a round at Spyglass Hill each represents the practical limit of my willingness to pay. I'd say a day with two rounds and a good lunch for $200 is not at all out of line if it's a fine course. Just a round of golf at that price would have to be a very occasional thing for me at best.

tlavin

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 09:22:46 AM »
It would irritate, rankle and annoy me to pay more than $500 for a round of golf, but I suspect that I would set that irritation, ranklement and annoyance aside in the case of these three untouchables and pay up to $1000, but it does piss one off.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 09:39:19 AM by Terry Lavin »

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 09:32:13 AM »
Well, I was just down in Pinehurst. The day I got there I walked out on #2 and thought it looked like a very fun place to play. However, over the next 5 days I played at Tobacco Road, Tot Hill, and a few others. My total greens fees over that week were probably close to what one round at #2 would have been. There are so many good moderately priced (under $100) places I have yet to play that there's no way I would fork over $300+ for 18 holes.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 10:17:17 AM »
Unfortunately, those same green rectangles that allow you to acquire that single "perfect" day are also used to obtain other good things like food, water, heat, and transportation. If you don't have lots and lots and lots of green rectangles, you might decide that many pretty good days is preferable to one great day followed by many crappy, hungry, cold days. Not to mention the wife's bitching . . .

Mike Hendren

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 10:18:27 AM »
I'm guessing my annual income falls in the first quartile on this site, but I'd drop a grand to play Augusta National Golf Club in a heartbeat.  

There appears to be a significant amount of posing and posturing taking place on this thread.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 11:05:31 AM »
Short answer: whatever I could scrape up.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 11:10:38 AM »
I have a friend who played ANGC by paying a member who was later thrown out of the club.  It was probably 10 years ago and the member picked them up from the airport and the put the cash under the floormat in the car - I believe it was around $600 and it included the caddie and lunch.

I have paid quite a bit to play some courses that have very limited access and I did so because I felt that the learning experience concerning great architecture was worth it.  
Did it turn out to be worth it, definitely so for some, but not as much for others.  

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 11:12:35 AM »
Just to clarify, it was $600 per player and he did it for anyone who was willing to pay the price - it cost him his membership at the club.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back