News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

Old Warson Country Club site of 2009 U.S. Women's Amateur
« on: April 13, 2007, 10:00:49 AM »
http://www.usga.org/news/2007/april/2007_36.html

Too bad this announcement is not that St. Louis C.C. has been awarded the 2009 Women's Am.  That would be a great site to watch the top women ams.

For those unaware of Old Warson it is the other R.T. Jones course built in St. Louis in the 1950s (along with Bellerive).  It is much less of a brute than is Bellerive.  Has the runway tees, quite a few doglegs, and big greens with quite a bit of undulation.  Old Warson was also the site of the 1999 Mid-Am.

On a side note, this will be the 8th USGA championship in the St. Louis area in a 14 year span.  And on six different golf courses.  The other courses being Spencer T. Olin (1999 Publinks & 1996 Women's Publinks), Fox Run (2001 Women's Mid-Am), Boone Valley (2007 Junior Am), Norwood (2001 Senior Am), and of course Bellerive (2004 Senior Open).  Throw in the 2008 "Western Open" (I refuse to call it anything else), and that is a nice stretch of championship golf for St. Louis area golf fans.

The Metropolitan Amateur Golf Association, created in 1992, has done a great job realizing that there is more to golf than just the U.S. Open.  By making efforts to attract other USGA events, they have brought a great variety of championship golf to the real golf fan.  I would be surprised if these efforts are not rewarded with a U.S. Open at Bellerive.  Possibly in 1965, the 50th anniversary of the prior U.S. Open at Bellerive (Gary Player’s only U.S. Open).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 10:07:45 AM by Bill Shamleffer »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Jim Nugent

Re:Old Warson Country Club site of 2009 U.S. Women's Amateur
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 10:55:02 AM »
Bill, what do you think of Bellerive?  Any reports on how the renovation has turned out, and what exactly they are doing to the course?  

Also, how does Westwood stand up to modern equipment?  Was the first good course I ever saw: after playing/caddying on local muni's, it blew me away.  Think they played the Western Open there a few times way back when.  Could it host some good USGA events?  
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 10:57:31 AM by Jim Nugent »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 11:04:09 AM »
As I was sitting at the Frozen Four it made me realize that no matter what you might think of the Mid-West we do have some sporting event cred.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 11:21:31 AM »
As I was sitting at the Frozen Four it made me realize that no matter what you might think of the Mid-West we do have some sporting event cred.

John,

Over the last decade and then the next couple of years, no matter what your sport, or level of that sport, if one wants to see exciting live athletic events St. Louis has been a good place to be.  This has included Final Fours for both men and women, The Frozen Four, NCAA wrestling championships, NCAA soccer final four, NFC Championship games, 5 World Series games, and baseball's All Star game is coming.  In addition, there has been a skating national championship, qualifying for the Olympic women’s marathon, qualifying for Olympic diving, and an incredible variety of NCAA basketball being played in St. Louis and at Edwardsville.  The St. Louis sports fan has a great variety of sports passing through his/her town.  In addition, this has to be helping the local hotel and restaurant market.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 11:35:32 AM »
Bill, what do you think of Bellerive?  Any reports on how the renovation has turned out, and what exactly they are doing to the course?  

Also, how does Westwood stand up to modern equipment?  Was the first good course I ever saw: after playing/caddying on local muni's, it blew me away.  Think they played the Western Open there a few times way back when.  Could it host some good USGA events?  

Jim,

I have not been back to St. Louis since 2005.  I will be in the end of July this summer, but I doubt I will see Bellerive.  I have not heard any reports or seen any pictures since the course re-opened.  I do think that the course will need to meet U.S. Open standards to obtain the USGA's approval.  I would expect that the "Western Open" next summer will be critical per this matter.  But if the USGA does decide it wants to try to get a U.S. Open to Bellerive, it would be nice to honor the 50th anniversary of Gary Player's only U.S. Open win.

I agree 100% that Westwood is the most overlooked quality course in St. Louis.  And I think the membership may be very happy with this status.  St. Louis C.C.'s greatness is more obvious.  The first time any true golfer walks St. Louis C.C., one can see how great is it’s' design.  However, Westwood is so very subtle.  Do you remember how it was so rare to ever get a level lie on those fairways?

Lloyd Mangram did win the 1952 Western Open at Westwood.  Although I have a feeling today PGA Tour Pros could shoot a lot of mid-60s scores today on a tournament groomed Westwood, I think they would still feel challenged in the same way Westchester still challanges the pros.  Westwood has similar small greens with subtle breaks and would still require some good shot making.

I would love to spend an afternoon watching Corey Pavin play Westwood.  His game is perfectly suited to the test administered by Westwood.

Gordon Oneil

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
Could it host some good USGA events?  

...as a 1999 competitor as well as an aging Mid-Am, I resent that remark.
Or is it that I resemble that remark...

Gordon Oneil

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 01:10:41 PM »
...and there ain't no such thing as a bad USGA event...

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 01:29:24 PM »
Jim,
This is from last fall... I have pictures that I will try to post.

Yesterday I had the chance to play Bellerive Country Club for the first time since the redesign work was completed. For those not in the know, Rees was brought in to rework the whole golf course, including all bunkers and greens as well as some tees. The course opened for play last month.
The golf course is improved. I firmly believe this. Much of the improvement, however, comes with the betterment of certain golf holes. Holes 2, 3, 8 and 17 are substantially better, with improved sightlines, much less awkward angles and a cleansing of both trees and water. I will describe the changes to these holes below. At the same time, however, I find Bellerive lacking the charm and quirk that would make the golf course great. Everything on the golf course is right in front of the golfer… Simply put, Bellerive lacks surprise. As a tournament venue the golf course is a total success.

Number two used to require a 250-yard tee shot to have any chance at a clear shot to the green. The trees down the left have been cleaned substantially, bringing the lake more into play but helping the shorter hitter with better options on the second shot. The green is approximately 325 yards from the blue tee as the crow flies… this could make for some interesting options for the big hitter in a major.

The routing really used to stumble here as the tees for 3 and 12 were crossed, slowing down traffic and confusing players. The new tees are just to the left of the second green. The flow is much improved. The green has a cool shelf on the left that hides between a new bunker and the lake. This is a good par 3.

The old 8 used to require a snap hook to an awkward fairway that was overtreed. The tees have been moved across the creek now, improving the angle and creating a much better driving hole. The trees have also been thinned down the left. The green now sets up much better to receive fairway metals or short irons. This used to be the worst hole on the golf course… now it is a solid par 5.

The awkward lake that used to exist along the right side of the fairway and in front of the green is totally gone. The hole is now just a straightforward and very long par 5 that has a much broader landing area for second shots.

Overall I like Bellerive. The golf course seems to lack the strategic options, however, that keep me (ADD) focused. I never seemed to think about angles or planning… I just tried to avoid the hazards and hit the greens. After playing Kansas City Country Club earlier this week, a Tillinghast course that just oozed charm, Bellerive left me wondering if there was more to be discovered on this site...    

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back