News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Mystery Tillinghast par 3
« on: March 26, 2007, 01:16:53 AM »

David Stamm

Re:Mystery Tillinghast par 3
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 12:04:17 PM »
Robert, are we supposed to guess where this is?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 07:12:55 PM »
Robert-

Is this maybe Old Orchard CC in Eatontown, NJ?  I think that course was attributed to Tillinghast; 20 minutes from where I grew up and I've never been there.  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

ChipRoyce

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 08:39:21 PM »
Is this the 4th hole at Southward Ho CC, Bay Shore NY?

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 09:27:31 PM »
This post is meant to be a quiz.  Also, it is meant to show a great Tilly hole that very few are familiar with.  This is my first picture post( I have high speed for a couple of days), so I am getting my feet wet here. This hole is about 180 yards and quite a few great players have played this hole at some point in their careers.

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 08:29:30 AM »
Not sure of the hole # (could be 16), but my course guess is Sunnehanna.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 08:33:18 AM »
Couple of questions:

Is there a set time limit these quizes should remain unanswered on gca?  I love the photos, but find I start getting angry after more than a day of guessing!

Are we sure those bunkers are Tillie?  They sure look like a 60's redo to me.

Did the green ever extend out to those bunkers?  If it did, that would be a great front left pin position, depending in part on prevailing wind.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 09:52:21 AM »
There is a very good possibility that this course got some tweeking in the 60's and that quite a few greens need to be restored to their original sizes.  This course is in metro-NY.

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 09:54:20 AM »
Elmwood CC
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

JMorgan

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 04:16:46 PM »
Knollwood #16

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 05:48:01 PM »
Is this the 4th hole at Southward Ho CC, Bay Shore NY?

I don't know where it is but it's not Southward Ho.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 07:35:57 PM »
Jeff Warne has his A+ memory game going.   It is indeed Elmwood.  The Tilly holes are great fun.  Unfortunately, The Sprain Brook runs through the original routing.

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 09:29:47 PM »
Robert,
I got lucky.
I absolutely don't remember that hole.
I knew Tillinghast designed Elmwood,and I remember the greens being REALLY small the one time I played Elmwood in 1992 in an assistants's event.
I remember a really cool short par five with the green in a hole running away from you and that's about it.
I also remember it was a good course for my 240 down the middle game I had then.I  do remember I really enjoyed the golf course, like so many great MET section courses no one's ever heard of
(I should remember it better-I won the event with a 70 missing a two footer on my last hole)

It's funny, I don't enjoy tournament golf anymore (pace of play/travel time /family committment issues), but I will sign up for an event if it's a classic course I want to see. I rarely know/remember hole numbers because we play many events in shotguns.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

mark chalfant

Re: Mystery Tillinghast par 3
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 04:22:10 PM »
How many Tiillnghast  holes are left here, Because this course is overshadowed by Century, Metropils and Fenway , it's almost never mentioned.  Are there lots of dramatic elevation changes, such as exist at Elmwoods nieghbor just down the road, Metropolis ?

thanks

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back