News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

An architect's corollary to J Kirk's axiom
« on: March 22, 2007, 12:49:23 PM »
Which architect wrote the following?

"It seems much more interesting to watch a ball as it makes its way to the green and either finds a glorious path or a tortured path before it comes to rest, as opposed to watching your shot simply disappear into a bunker."

For those of you unfamiliar with "J Kirk's axiom"
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=17958
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 01:40:33 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom Dunne

Re:An architect's corollary to J Kirk's axiom
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 04:28:24 PM »
I routinely refer to (my paraphrasing of) Kirk's Axiom in conversation. Most recently, I mentioned the idea to Al Geiberger at Stone Eagle. We had the course to ourselves and so we were trying different types of shots around the greens, etc. Al had a "Breakmaster" green reader that he was messing around with as well. Anyway, I think he liked Kirk's Axiom, too....  :)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 08:37:29 PM »
I hope we broke the "Breakmaster" on 13.

John_Cullum

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 09:19:26 AM »
What in the hell is a breakmaster?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Ken Moum

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 09:49:39 AM »
What in the hell is a breakmaster?

http://www.dwquailgolf.com/access/breakmaster.html

If they weren't $60, I'd probably buy one just to help me learn to read greens better on sloping property.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 10:52:03 AM »
Which architect wrote the following?

"It seems much more interesting to watch a ball as it makes its way to the green and either finds a glorious path or a tortured path before it comes to rest, as opposed to watching your shot simply disappear into a bunker."

For those of you unfamiliar with "J Kirk's axiom"
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=17958

Not sure on the quote -- but it is applicable to shots that hit the firm green and then slowly seek glory or torture. 17 at Bandon Trails with a back pin allowed only one shot to stay somewhat close in two (really three) rounds of play.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 11:20:45 AM »
Jeff,

I guess you get an new corollary. ;)

The quote discusses the path of the shot on its way to the green.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 05:01:09 PM »
Not a lot of interest here. I am surprised no one googled it since it is a modern architect writing on a website. In fact, it is Kelly Blake Moran on

http://www.kellyblakemoran.com/heritage%20creek%20blog.html

Doug Siebert

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 01:58:59 AM »
I bought a Breakmaster a couple years ago just to shut up people who like to claim they missed a certain putt because it "broke uphill".

Haven't found one that broke uphill yet ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 02:24:04 AM »
Garland,

I do relate well to the implied quote. My battle cheer after most wayward approach shots during my recent Bandon trip was, "I can putt that!"

;D

"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back