News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Sutton Bay on The Golf Channel
« on: March 20, 2007, 04:14:41 PM »
Apologies if this was covered before, I haven't been available to check out everything recently, but the episode of Playing Lessons with the Pros on The Golf Channel featuring Graham Marsh is shot at Sutton Bay.

One of our posters even gets to say a little during the round! First time I've seen any poster other than Geoff Shackelford (and maybe Tom D, can't remember on that one) speak on TGC.

SB definitely looks like a place that deserves its spot on my wish list. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

Re:Sutton Bay on The Golf Channel
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 04:18:37 PM »
I really enjoyed the episode shot at Stone Eagle...I was sitting at a bar and the TV was on with no sound.  The course caught my eye and I was shocked by the pictures based on the poo poohing that has gone on on this site.  I believe the heat conspiracy theory on that one.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 04:27:28 PM »
I really enjoyed the episode shot at Stone Eagle...I was sitting at a bar and the TV was on with no sound.  The course caught my eye and I was shocked by the pictures based on the poo poohing that has gone on on this site.  I believe the heat conspiracy theory on that one.

Got to agree with you on that one John. Its good with the sound on too.  Al Geiberger has some nice stories to tell.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 06:26:42 PM »
I'd say they got some interesting weather that made for interesting photography.  I thought the show captured the exciting rawness of the place, while Swampy gave some interesting thoughts on the design as well as playing tips.  I think it would be neat if they had a sportsman series of shows filmed there showing days of golf, fishing, and bird hunting.  It really is a sportsman's paradise, IMHO.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 10:32:01 PM »
Comparing Graham Marsh to other pros I've seen on playing lessons, he seems to make some excellent architectural insights into the holes.  I remember he analyzes the strategic options off of the twelfth tee, discussing how the line changes with the pin position.  It seemed he knows what he is talking about, rather than many pros/low handicappers who say a hole is only good because it's 'fair' or 'tough.'  I remember a playing lesson with Rocco Mediate where he stated a hole at the course he was playing (an Art Hills course as I remember) was excellent because it had hazards on both sides of the fairway.  I would love to see more American courses from Swampy and Co.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 10:50:25 PM »
I remember a playing lesson with Rocco Mediate where he stated a hole at the course he was playing (an Art Hills course as I remember) was excellent because it had hazards on both sides of the fairway.

JNC,

Absolutely nothing wrong with that statement, because Rocco is a golf professional, not an golf architecture connisseur like most on this board. Between 1990-2004, Rocco Mediate hit 70% (+/-) of fairways (74.4% in 2002), which ranks him right up there as one of the most accurate drivers on tour. Therefore, courses featuring flanking fairway hazards suit his game and allow him to compete better against the long bombers invading the modern PGA Tour.

TK

JNC Lyon

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 10:55:03 PM »
Tyler, excellent point.  He hasn't gone into golf architecture, which is probably good.  He's definitely a great guy, just not someone I'd want redesigning my course ;)
Of course, some members at Oak Hill would disagree ::)
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back