News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Sullivan

Warming up in East Lothian?
« on: March 15, 2007, 09:33:25 PM »
My dodgy back, the long winter layoff , and a cattle class  flight to Edinburgh from Beijing makes me think that I might need a loosening up round on Sunday before the real golfing odyssey begins the next day at Musselburgh and North Berwick.

So I am looking for a recommendation for a place to have a game on Sunday if I am feeling up for it. We are staying in Gullane, so Gullane No 1 springs immediately to mind, but it is 100 quid and I will have to book in advance and pay a deposit, both of which are problems if I decide not to have a game. My wife is also not that keen for us to pay 200 pounds so I can have a warm up game.

So the question -- is Gullane No 1 a real must play? If no, is there a nice, cheapish, quaint, interesting or otherwise worthwhile layout that I could walk on to a 3pm next Sunday if I felt so inclined.

All advice and receommendations welcomed

Sean Walsh

Re:Warming up in East Lothian?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 09:44:05 PM »
Matt,

On another thread (Ruins) Mr Bonnar had some nice things to say about Haddington (£35)which isn't far away from Gullane.  

Also check this site out
http://www.golfeastlothian.com/golf-courses.asp

I drove by Longniddry earlier in the year and that looked like a nice course.  It is £60 on a weekend.

Also went past Kilspindie GC (Aberlady) looked more than good enough for a warm up. £43

Or there's always a practice round at North Berwick

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 09:49:44 PM »
How about Gullane #2 or #3? I just finished reading Curtis Gillespie's book ("Playing Through") about the year he spent living in Gullane. As I recall, he commented that many of the locals considered #3 to be the best of the three courses, despite being not much over 5,100 yards.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 10:34:47 PM »
Matt, Kilspindie is alleged to be on the most lady friendly courses in the area, and with several holes on the ocean, supposed to be fun and challenging par 69.

Michael Christensen

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 10:35:49 PM »
I am sort of in the same boat....even though Atlanta is a little closer!  Just looking for a place with a range to work out the 8 hour flight kinks...maybe I will sneak through the gate at Greywalls ;D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 10:41:42 PM by Michael Christensen »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 12:12:32 AM »
Gullane 1 is a real test of golf. I would think one of the Killspindie or Luffness New or Gullane 3 would be better jet lag courses.

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 12:21:29 AM »
Play Kilspindie or Longniddry.
much better value (which sounds like it's an issue with the Mrs.),
significantly more charming, easier walk jet lagged.
Gullane #1 didn't do much for me (I did like the second hole though)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 12:21:31 AM »
My old friend Laurie Auchterlonie said "Bobby, if you don't play Kilspindie, which has the keenest greens in Scotland, you are missing a real treat."

How could you not listen to the great man?

Bob

Matt_Sullivan

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 12:35:09 AM »
Many thanks for all the replies. Leaning strongly towards Kilspindie. Will drop them an email and see how busy they are on Sunday

Thanks

Matt

Sean Walsh

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 01:36:40 AM »
Matt,

Have been doing a little more browsing.  The reason for Longniddry's higher fees are probably due to it being an open qualifier.  It is also a Harry Colt course.

Kilspindie sounds like a good course with an interesting history

http://www.aberlady.org/Golf%20Clubs.html

Also from our very own site

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/kilspindie000140.html
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 01:37:06 AM by Sean Walsh »

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 01:41:14 AM »
Matt,

Although Gullane No 1 is the best course of those mentioned, we played and had a lot of fun at Longniddry which is nearby. Not long as it lacks par 5s but a great warmup or jet lag round. I recall the clubhouse was full of photos of a visit from Sam Snead years ago. Good character although not a true links.

Bob Jenkins

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 02:22:40 AM »
I was in Gullane for a few days last summer and played Gullane #2 because my wife was playing and #1 looked too hard and too expensive.  Walked parts of #1, and thought that #2 had similar types of holes.  It's a fair walk though, up and over Gullane Hill a couple of times.

Where are you staying?  We stayed at a lovely B&B called Faussetthill House just a couple of blocks from Muirfield and within walking distance of the Gullane golf courses.  Highly recommended.

Matt_Sullivan

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 03:29:51 AM »
Bryan we are at a B&B in Gullane, but the name escapes me and I don't have it handy (I'm at the office). I am pretty sure it is not the one you mention though.

Everything is still suggesting Kilspindie (and Sean thanks for the research -- I feel a fool for not loking myself!)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 03:42:10 AM »

Matt if you aren't up for a round, you could visit N Berwick and do some chipping on the public putting green near the West Course.  I can't recommend it in summer as it's woefully under maintained but I doubt there'll be anyone to collect fees in March so it would be a way of knocking a few balls around on interesting terrain.

Sea air is a fine reviver and a swim would blow all jet lag away!

One of the courses you'll pass (Kilspindie(?) does have a range you can see from the road.  If you've never traveled that road before you won't believe the number of golf courses and you can't see Muirfield even though you know it's close.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 06:01:21 AM »
Gullane No 1 is overpriced for what it is.  Both Nos 2 and 3 are better value and great fun.  If looking for a place for a fun, relaxed warmupround though I'd agree with all those recommending Kilspindie.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John_Cullum

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 09:37:14 AM »
Gullane 1 100lbs???? What is the world coming to
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 09:59:25 AM »
Gullane 1 100lbs???? What is the world coming to
I wonder what the annual membership fee for Gullane is?  Anyone know?

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 11:25:30 AM »
Matt

Having played most of the courses in that area I would endorse Kilspindie as a good relaxing warm up for the tests that will follow on the Monday and Tuesday.  

If Kilspindie is not available I would head for Gullane 3.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 03:34:45 PM »
Gullane 3 is a great warm up course, The Glen is straightforward with a great par 3 by the rocks and good viewd also Whitekirk although modern is fairly interesting and does good food.
Cave Nil Vino

Matt_Sullivan

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 07:02:22 PM »
Once again, thanks to all. Leaning towards Kilspindie and I think I have convinced the wife to accompany me.

Of course, feel free to PM me if you are interested in a hit on that Sunday. We can exchange phone numbers and work out on the day if we want a game

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 07:18:51 PM »
Matt,
Kilspindie is a genuine wee gem. You will have a ball. One or two ho-hum holes, but a great FUN experience. Magical old clubhouse (great filled rolls), driveable closing par 4 (I did and I ain't no Tiger), beautiful views over the Forth to bonnie Fife. A joy.

WARNING: Do NOT, under any circumstances, look over the wall to the adjoining course. You could be seriously 'compromised'. ;)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 05:08:48 AM »
Matt,
Kilspindie is a genuine wee gem. You will have a ball. One or two ho-hum holes, but a great FUN experience. Magical old clubhouse (great filled rolls), driveable closing par 4 (I did and I ain't no Tiger), beautiful views over the Forth to bonnie Fife. A joy.

WARNING: Do NOT, under any circumstances, look over the wall to the adjoining course. You could be seriously 'compromised'. ;)

FBD.

Martin
Agreed its a great fun course but do Kilspindie still have the rule that you must wear a jacket in the clubhouse?  When I last played there (10 or more years ago) they insisted you wore a jacket (no tie).  We simply wore jackets over our golfing attire - looked a set of plonkers but satisfied the rule!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2007, 11:37:43 AM »
Lets have a reality check. If one is going to be price sensitive then almost all of the UK is way over priced. One should not even go over there. I think south Florida is so over priced it keeps me away. I love the golf in the UK and just pay the price. Much like Pebble Beach you just do it, enjoy it and pay the visa bill the next month and go forth. I thought this was about warm up rounds not money.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:38:12 AM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 02:20:32 PM »
Lets have a reality check. If one is going to be price sensitive then almost all of the UK is way over priced.
When did this become the case, or is it more a case of the strength of the £ which is up about 40% from its low in 2002.

My last golfing trip there was in 1998 and I believe that back then courses that weren't on the rota but were top notch like Royal Dornoch, Gullane #1, North Berwick, Cruden Bay were not that expensive at about £40-60 which wasn't cheap back then but wasn't too bad.  When you compared these to in-season prices at places like Florida or Arizona it was great value.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 02:33:11 PM »
Doubling or more prices in 4 or 5 years makes for expensive pricing.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 02:33:25 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back