News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Leahy

Andrews AFB golf courses?
« on: February 28, 2007, 12:29:33 PM »
The golf channel reported last night that the July 4, tourny in DC that Tiger's charity will be linked with may be played on the courses at Andrews AFB. Has anyone played them or know anything about designers, history, etc? Is this the first time a military course has hosted a PGA event?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

David_Tepper

Re:Andrews AFB golf courses?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 01:06:14 PM »
Tim -

The Presidio GC (San Fran) hosted the 1956 Western Open, won by Mike Fetchik. There was a pretty good field, with most of the PGA pro's of that era playing.

DT  

Mike Hoak

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 01:34:05 PM »
I have played all three courses at Andrews numerous times.  It's one of my father-in-law's favorite places to play because its relatively cheap for retired military personnel.  I would be extremely surprised if Andrews hosted a PGA event.  I do not believe any of the three courses measure much more than 6,700 yards from the back tees.  The conditioning is about what you would expect at nicer muni courses.

There are three 18 hole tracks at Andrews--the East, West, and South. The East and West courses are the oldest of the three.  I am not sure when they opened.  I do not know anything about the designer(s) of those courses.  The South course is definately the stongest of the three tracks.  It opened about 10 years ago.  I think it was an Ault-Clark project.  The course has more of a links feel to it, with lots of holes out on open land near the runways at Andrews.

A tournament at Andrews would certainly make for interesting television.  There are several holes on the East course where large surface to air missle installations and ammunition bunkers are less than 100 yards off of the course.  The jet noise can also be deafening.  Imagine playing a golf tournament within a half mile of a major airport.  Whenever I have played there, the air traffic is pretty constant and very loud.

Mike Worth

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 06:16:58 PM »
I've played the new course at Andrews and concur.  No way could it host a PGA event.  The course is not very long, if the card says 6,700, then it's more than fair to say that it plays about 250 yards shorter.  Most of the par 4s are drive and pitch.

Despite the links-like look to the course, many of the holes play like short RTJ Sr. dog legs.  

One benefit, as mentioned, is proximity to the runway.  During a scramble last year, I saw Air Force 1 taxi down the runway and fly directly overhead.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 06:18:33 PM by SS1 »

Mike Worth

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 06:18:59 PM »
I've played the new course at Andrews and concur.  No way could it host a PGA event.  The course is not very long, if the card says 6,700, then it's more than fair to say that it plays about 250 yards shorter.  Most of the par 4s are drive and pitch.

Despite the links-like look to the course, many of the holes play like short RTJ Sr. dog legs.  

One benefit, as mentioned, is proximity to the runway.  During a scramble event last April, I saw Air Force 1 taxi down the runway and fly directly overhead.

Mike Worth

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 06:19:25 PM »

One benefit, as mentioned, is proximity to the runway.  During a scramble last year, I saw Air Force 1 taxi down the runway and fly directly overhead.

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 06:53:41 AM »
  So if not Andrew's then where to we think the tournament will go??  How about Woodmont C.C.?  They are the traditional host of the final stage of US Open qualifier and they have 36 holes. If not there then I really think Congressional needs to vote yes. The new tenth hole should be ready, the club knows how to host an event and it's an Open preview course. I'm sure all the politicians at Congo would love to be associated with the Tiger Woods Foundation.  

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 07:12:14 AM »
Andrews???  Impossible.  The Woodmont member would never allow a regular tournament - the members would vote the idea down 5:1.

Folks - the painful fact is it's not about architecture, tradition, or anything else.  It's about proximity to the Beltway and money.  2009 and after Avenel will be the permanent stop for the Tiger event.  There are no other possibilities.  Let's hope the Avenel redo is a home run.

JC

Sébastien Dhaussy

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 07:57:40 AM »
From the Golf Channel today :

"Congressional Country Club, according to one published report, will have the final word on whether it becomes the venue for the PGA TOUR event that will take place in the Washington D.C. area July 5-8.

The Washington Post, in its Wednesday’s editions, reported that the club has been in discussions with the PGA TOUR to be the host club for the tournament that will replace The International, which was disbanded in early February.

The TOUR has planned a press conference for next Wednesday at which time it will announce a title sponsor for the event which will be run in conjunction with the Tiger Woods Foundation. However, TOUR executive vice-president Ty Votaw told GOLF CHANNEL Tuesday that the venue might not be announced on that day.

The Washington Post reported that Congressional club members will meet March 14 to discuss the proposed two-year move to Congressional. After that, the newspaper reported, the event is expected to move to Avenel, a course the TOUR owns."
"It's for everyone to choose his own path to glory - or perdition" Ben CRENSHAW

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 09:22:27 AM »
Apparently a letter has been sent to all Congo members soliciting their approval.

The thought of using Andrews seems ridiculous for several reasons including the course's are average at best and the level of security necessary to stage a Tour event.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 06:11:43 PM »
I just received this...  We'll see what they say.   JC

As you have probably heard, we announced this week that the PGA TOUR has formed a partnership with the Tiger Woods Foundation to create a new PGA TOUR event in the Washington, D.C. area starting July, 2007.

I’d like to invite you to join me and Tiger Woods for a private reception on Wednesday, March 7, as we introduce our title sponsor and present the vision for this exciting new event.

Unfortunately, due to space limitations, we are unable to accommodate guests. We appreciate your understanding. I hope to see you on Wednesday.

Tim Finchem
Commissioner
PGA TOUR

Mike Worth

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 09:47:55 AM »
Again, agree the thought of holding a PGA event at any course on Andrews is ridiculous.  For those in the Philly area, you might be able to relate to this analogy, just think of the RTJ Sr. public course Rancocas Woods in Willingboro, but without the trees (that's if the new course at Andrews was used).

I'm not sure who posted this, but what is the security issue about holding an event at Andrews?  The gates are guarded, even if it is by the Air Force  ::)  

Tim Leahy

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 07:49:02 PM »
the DC tourney press conf. is supposed to come on 3-7-07, so I thought I would bump this to see if anyone has any new info on it.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mike Hoak

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 09:25:50 PM »
Here is the story that is set to run in tomorrow morning's Washington Post:

Woods to Reveal Details of Local Tournament

Wednesday, March 7, 2007; E02

Tiger Woods comes to town today to fill in some of the blanks on a PGA Tour golf tournament to be played in the Washington area starting this July that will benefit his California-based foundation and likely become his signature event.

Woods and PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem have scheduled a news conference today at 11 a.m. at the National Press Club, ostensibly to reveal the name of the tournament's title sponsor, the purse and the venue. The event will be played July 5-8, and Woods is expected to compete, unless his wife, Elin Nordegren, gives birth to the couple's first child around that time.

The tour has not revealed the new sponsor. Several industry sources have speculated that one of Woods's main sponsors -- Nike, Buick, American Express, Accenture among others -- may put up the $8 million a year to back the event. One source said yesterday AT&T might also be involved, but that could not be confirmed as of last night.

Booz Allen, the McLean-based global consulting firm that was the title sponsor of the last three Washington tour events, was not asked to return as a sponsor, according to chief executive Ralph Shrader.

The tournament likely will be played in 2007 and 2008 at Congressional Country Club in Bethesda. Congressional will hold a membership meeting at the club a week from today to discuss hosting the tournament, with 2,500 members expected to vote by mail. A simple majority is necessary for approval.

If Congressional falls through, the tour also is considering the Robert Trent Jones Club in Gainesville -- the site of four Presidents Cup competitions since 1994 -- as a back-up. After today's news conference, Woods will head to Capitol Hill to meet with the leadership and members of Congress, with more of the same at an invitation-only evening reception at the American Red Cross headquarters in the District.

-- Leonard Shapiro

Mike Hoak

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 11:35:16 AM »
Here is the official word from the Tour:

AT&T title sponsor for new TOUR event in D.C.

Mar. 7, 2007
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The PGA TOUR, in conjunction with the Tiger Woods Foundation, has announced AT&T as the title sponsor of the new PGA TOUR tournament that will debut this July in Washington, D.C.

AT&T Chairman and CEO Ed Whitacre joined PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem and Tiger Woods Wednesday at a press conference that provided further details on the AT&T National, which will be held the week of July 4th.

"AT&T is proud to partner with Tiger Woods, his foundation and the PGA TOUR on what promises to be a first-class tournament and one of the most anticipated events on the TOUR schedule," Whitacre said. "It's appropriate that during the week Americans celebrate their freedom, the AT&T National will benefit young people and will pay tribute to the men and women serving in our Armed Forces."

The host course for the tournament has yet to be announced. The Tiger Woods Foundation will serve as the event's host organization and primary charitable beneficiary. Additionally, each year the tournament will recognize and honor the men and women serving in our Armed Services.

"We are extremely pleased that AT&T has expanded its presence on the PGA TOUR by agreeing to sponsor the AT&T National," Finchem said. "AT&T is a longtime partner of the TOUR and has helped generate more than $100 million for local charities through its existing golf sponsorships. We believe the AT&T National will have a tremendous impact as the newest event on the PGA TOUR."

"We hope to make the AT&T National a great tradition in this community and look forward to a wonderful partnership with AT&T and the PGA TOUR," Woods said. "I'm thrilled the AT&T National is helping facilitate my Foundation's East Coast expansion. We plan to make a lasting impact in this community -- both on and off the course."

In addition to the AT&T National, AT&T is the title sponsor of the PGA TOUR's AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am in Monterey, Calif., and the AT&T Classic in Atlanta; as well as the Champions Tour's AT&T Championship in San Antonio and the AT&T Champions Classic in Los Angeles.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 02:22:07 PM »
Both Tiger and Finchem were asked about Avenel and RTJ.  Neither would go any further than saying that they are ramping up for what they hope are two years at Congressional.  Finchem did suggest that RTJ and Avenel will both be considered in 2009 and beyond.

When asked by Tom Boswell (I think it was Tom), Tiger said that he'd love to see the tourney permanantly placed at Congressional but he added that he knew that wasn't likely.

JC

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back