News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

The Crossings at Carlsbad Pics (Really this time)
« on: February 12, 2007, 09:02:16 PM »
Thought you all might want to see a few photo's of what is going to be THE most expensive municipal course project in history. Greg Nash is the architect. So far, the cost is at $78 million! These photo's were the best I could do since the property is completely fenced off. Enjoy.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 01:51:19 PM by David Stamm »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

rjsimper

Re:The Crossings at Carlsbad Pics
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 09:08:45 PM »
David,
Photos not working :(

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 09:09:39 PM »
David,

I can see them, but they still aren't working.   8)

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 09:28:10 PM »
Did you take these at night?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 10:34:36 PM »
Sorry guys. I'll try to fix it.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 01:15:55 AM »
Sorry guys. I'll try to fix it.

You're in dire need of some photobucket education....phi alpha!
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 01:46:02 AM »
Some information from their website:

Habitat Preservation
"Half of the 400-acre golf course will be preserved for habitat to protect multiple endangered species, and will help tie together more than 1,000 acres of open space in the central part of the city."

Cost and funding

"The Crossings at Carlsbad Golf Course will cost an estimated $55 million to build. Its funding will be split between a loan from the City of Carlsbad and the sale of tax exempt municipal bonds by the City. The construction will be cost-conscious, but not at the expense of the city's high standards for its public facilities. The project will reflect the quality of public facilities Carlsbad is known for and the public has come to expect."

I dont know if its the "cost-conscious" or the "tie together more than 1,000 acres of open space" that these pictures are trying to describe.

or maybe this?

Whats the word on why this course costs so damn much to build. I know there has to be some explination.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 07:45:27 AM »
Why did this cost so much to build?

Take a look:

http://tinyurl.com/3aa22d

This article appeared at geoffshackelford.com
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 09:17:36 AM »
The waterfall sure blends in well with the landscape in Carlsbad ??? OK Legoland.....
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 09:20:25 AM »
Money,taste,and common sense are often mutually exclusive. :( :( :( ??? ??? ???
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 09:35:33 AM »

Do you think they're building a sphinx or a pyramid?

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 10:18:10 AM »
I'm not very impressed by the images. What has Greg Nash done that has good reviews? (or....what has he done that got him this job?)  I've played a bunch of courses in CA and the west, but don't think I've played a "Nash".
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

John Kirk

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 10:18:13 AM »
Another article on the course said they re-routed the fairways 10 times, in part to avoid archaeological sites they uncovered during construction.

Wow!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 10:20:12 AM »
Can we get those photos to work?

My brother lives damn near right across the street from one part of this.  He's excited to have a golf course nearby.  He's not excited about the cost to his city.

;)

rjsimper

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 10:21:15 AM »
Is this going to be on the "SilverRock" fee schedule?  I.E. affordable for Carlsbad residents but absurdly overpriced for everyone else?

Scott Szabo

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 12:45:17 PM »
What kind of green fees is this course going to demand to be able to justify the cost of buildling it?
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »

From the course website:

Course Management
KemperSports, a professional golf course management firm, has been contracted by the City of Carlsbad to manage the course for a fee.

For more information, general questions about the course, or to contact the general manager, please contact the clubhouse number at (760) 476-9933.

Habitat Preservation
Half of the 400-acre golf course will be preserved for habitat to protect multiple endangered species, and will help tie together more than 1,000 acres of open space in the central part of the city.

Greens fees
The golf course will be open to everyone. Residents will be offered a preferential rate. This rate will be established by April and will be competitive with other quality public courses.

www.carlsbadca.gov/parks/golf.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

rjsimper

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 01:25:20 PM »
Habitat Preservation
Half of the 400-acre golf course will be preserved for habitat to protect multiple endangered species, and will help tie together more than 1,000 acres of open space in the central part of the city.

Read: Half of the course is comprised of chasms, ditches, canyons, and the occasional abyss, thus preventing us from actually using that land in any way, shape, or form, and furthermore requiring the use of dozens of bridges to span from hole to hole.  In originally scouting for potential sites, we were enamored with the 1,000 acres of open space in Central Carlsbad, and if the owner of said land is reading this, we're keenly interested at least 200 acres of that property.

rjsimper

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 01:40:01 PM »
Here are David's photos - his host didn't seem to like us.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 01:41:18 PM by Ryan Simper »

David Stamm

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 01:50:35 PM »
Thanks man. I owe ya. :)

ChasLawler

Re:The Crossings at Carlsbad Pics (Really this time)
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2007, 01:57:07 PM »
Looks like a great ride...

Joe Perches

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2007, 02:06:16 PM »

This passes the good walk spoiled test.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 02:09:52 PM »
My best guess is this Nash is a paving contractor.  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2007, 02:10:03 PM »
Joe - can you really say that based on that pic?  Those canyons are pretty steep and weren't exactly a nice walk prior to the golf course... heck if anything the building of the course seems to ALLOW walking to occur, if one is so inclined.

This would appear to be a cart-ball course, though.  I'm just not sure how it could otherwise be on that terrain.

Now if one wants to say a golf course never should have been built there, well that's a different question.  But if you allow a course to be built there, I just don't see how it could have been done better for walkability.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 02:10:35 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2007, 02:12:27 PM »
Well Tom,

Unless I simply cannot see stuff that is there, it looks like that long path was built simple to allow a shorter bridge.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back