News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lawrence Largent

Why not Philadelphia?
« on: February 07, 2007, 07:06:26 PM »
In learning that the International is no longer. Why is there not a tour event in the Philly area. The area is so rich in Golf history and its a major metro area why does this great city not have a tour event. Having only played a few of the greats in the area could some of the Philly contigent recommend some courses the tour could play at.

Lawrence

Kyle Harris

Re:Why not Philadelphia?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 07:24:18 PM »
In learning that the International is no longer. Why is there not a tour event in the Philly area. The area is so rich in Golf history and its a major metro area why does this great city not have a tour event. Having only played a few of the greats in the area could some of the Philly contigent recommend some courses the tour could play at.

Lawrence

They long held the IBV Classic at Whitemarsh.

I think West Chester CC held the Bell Atlantic before it went to Hartefeld and ultimately TPC at Jasna Poa Annua.

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 07:29:36 PM »
The excuse I've heard is that there is "too much to do" in the Phila metro area; ticket sales to past local tour events have been poor.

You don't have to get too far from Phila though;the Senior Open at Saucon had record sales.  Only GAP would consider Saucon in Philadelphia.   ;)
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 07:31:59 PM »
The excuse I've heard is that there is "too much to do" in the Phila metro area; ticket sales to past local tour events have been poor.

You don't have to get too far from Phila though;the Senior Open at Saucon had record sales.  Only GAP would consider Saucon in Philadelphia.   ;)

Cause holding it at Waynesboro had nothing to do with that.

I think people would come in droves to a Huntingdon Valley or Whitemarsh again.

Greg Holland

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 07:34:55 PM »
According to AP, its a possibility, though DC is apparently the leading candidate:

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. (AP) -The International, known for its unique scoring system on a Castle Pines golf course held in the mile-high air outside Denver, will no longer be on the PGA Tour schedule effective immediately, a tour official said Wednesday.

The loss of the 21-year-old tournament was primarily due to lack of a corporate sponsor, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because it has not formally been announced.

PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem and tournament founder Jack Vickers are expected to make it official Thursday morning.

That leaves a hole in the PGA Tour schedule on July 5-8, but tour officials have been working on a contingency plan over the last month and are expected to announce a replacement by April.

The leading candidate is Washington, the largest U.S. market without a PGA Tour event. The nation's capital had a tour event since 1968, but that presumably ended when title sponsor Booz Allen bailed out last year because it was not part of the FedExCup portion of the PGA Tour schedule.

Other markets under consideration are Minneapolis, Philadelphia and Kansas City.

The tour official said there was sponsorship interest in several major markets, although none of those sponsors was interested in the International

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 07:49:31 PM »
Comcast was interested a few years ago in sponsoring an event when the Las Vegas tournament was having sponsor troubles. The talk then was  that Philadelphia Cricket's Hurdzan/Fry Militia Hill course would be the venue. Brian Roberts, the Comcast CEO, is a member at Cricket.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

SPDB

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 07:53:27 PM »
Kyle -

Are you suggesting that the venue had something to do with it?

Generally speaking, I don't think people attend golf tournaments because of the course. I predict that holding it at Huntingdon or Whitemarsh will have no appreciable difference on the attendance.

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 08:06:05 PM »
I know what you're saying Kyle.  My understanding though, through a conversation with B. Kittleman, is that even going back to the IVB, tour events weren't especially well attended.  The majors were another story.

The senior event was played at Chester Valley and White Manor before it went to Hartefeld, then Jasna.

There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 08:11:28 PM »
The leading candidate is Washington, the largest U.S. market without a PGA Tour event.
Isn't Chicago the largest city without an event?  Or do they count holding a tournament every other year as having an event?

Michael Christensen

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 08:12:56 PM »
it is a shame Castle Pines will no longer hold a PGA event.......it was a relaxed venue and the players loved going there

Philly should get a tourney....4th of July weekend would fit with the city's history.....step up Philly and get a tournament!

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 10:17:47 PM »
DC has enough defense contractors and high tech companies that could easily step up and sponsor the tournament.  They are supposed to start work at Avenel but the tour owns it so they could always postpone the work or there are a number of other clubs in the area that would probably welcome it.  The Nationwide Tour does have an event scheduled for late May.  

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 11:09:07 PM »
Who wants to watch another tournament at the TPC in DC.

nce

David Stamm

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 11:15:41 PM »
Who wants to watch another tournament at the TPC in DC.

nce

Lawrence, certainly not I.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

JSlonis

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 11:37:47 PM »
Aronimink would be a very solid venue, but I'm not sure if the club would want to give up a prime week at that time of year.  Although with the recent large clubhouse renovation, the club could probably use the extra $$$.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 11:38:33 PM by JSlonis »

PThomas

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 11:52:30 PM »
The leading candidate is Washington, the largest U.S. market without a PGA Tour event.
Isn't Chicago the largest city without an event?  Or do they count holding a tournament every other year as having an event?

taking the tour out of Chiicago - always well-attended, Tiger usually there, in the third largest city in the country, and removing the Western Open name to boot - has to be one of the dumbest things I have seen done in a LONG time

I had read awhile ago the geniuses in Ponte Vedre were reconsidering, but I haven't heard anything

I would love to know their reasoning behind such a brillant move
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 05:05:27 AM »
Kyle -

Are you suggesting that the venue had something to do with it?

Generally speaking, I don't think people attend golf tournaments because of the course. I predict that holding it at Huntingdon or Whitemarsh will have no appreciable difference on the attendance.

I was more getting at the location of the event in terms of logistics. A major would pull people to Merion or Aronimink, but driving to Waynesboro CC at the start of Iggles season for a third teir Tour event probably wasn't the most appealing idea.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 06:35:57 AM »
Rather than have some "B" tournament at TPC Main Line in Philly which Tiger skips, I would actually prefer to have Ran take the new found "Contributions" and set up a new video/webcasting system for GCA.com. We could then watch Tom Paul and David Moriarity play a match at Merion Golf Club. Wayne and Mike C can caddy and Sully can hold the camera. Pat Mucci will be the MC.

Now let's hear some suggestions about what should happen when the match reaches the 10th tee at Merion!

wsmorrison

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 06:44:40 AM »
Tom will be dormie at that point, he's that good (even with 2 bad shoulders) and with Moriarty's sense of distance, he will surely be that bad  ;)  
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 06:45:05 AM by Wayne Morrison »

JESII

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 09:43:56 AM »
Rather than have some "B" tournament at TPC Main Line in Philly which Tiger skips, I would actually prefer to have Ran take the new found "Contributions" and set up a new video/webcasting system for GCA.com. We could then watch Tom Paul and David Moriarity play a match at Merion Golf Club. Wayne and Mike C can caddy and Sully can hold the camera. Pat Mucci will be the MC.

Now let's hear some suggestions about what should happen when the match reaches the 10th tee at Merion!

Clearly you'd have to stick a flag in the ground across the street and play the "ALPS" hole...hell, Wayne's son knows where it is, he can tend the flag...

Matt_Ward

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 10:00:23 AM »
The Tour's weak underbelly was exposed with the Jack Vickers bailout / re: The International.

Here the Tour has now abandoned the Denver market and an event that provided a special and unique format.

The issue with Philadelphia is that the Tour abaondoned its DC connection and the probability that one of the more established and architecturall rich clubs would desire to take on a tour event is likely doubtful. The more likely situation is that the tour would use sites in which it has a much more deeper business connection -- hence a place like TPC Jasna Polana, etc, etc.

The deeper cracks for the Tour is that when existing long term participants / sponsors are thrown to the wolves with this new FedEx series the long term harm is there to be seen. Why would a new sponsor come forward if you cannot GUARANTEE a world class field. So long as the Tour doesn't provide for appearance money the likelihood is that the elite stars will only play when they feel it works to their advantage.

The International could not land Tiger and Vickers made a play for different dates under the assumption this would be his meal ticket. Not only did Tiger bail but the international players (e.g. Els, Goosen, et al) who had come to Denver now won't go because of the close proximity to the British Open.

The Tour can spin this all the way they want -- if existing sponsors are handled in this manner what does that say about the Tour leadership in regards to getting future sponsors to pony up the dough without any guarantees of a world class field.

JESII

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 10:07:32 AM »
Matt,

Agree with everything you say about the Philly stuff...about the rest, are you suggesting that sponsors will not jump in without a guaranteed world class field? It seems to me there have always been different level events and as with most things, you get what you pay for...how can that not hold in the future?

p.s. when I ask "how can that not hold..." I agree that a constriction of the schedule will makes sense and happen in the next 7 - 10 years, but you'll always have different levels and some people are happy to jump in at the lower level. No?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 10:25:54 AM »
The dates of this tournament, two weeks before the British,  make it very attractive unlike the dates that DC previously had. I would expect a pretty strong field - maybe not Tiger, but certainly a strong field.  I would also suggest that the logistics in setting up a tournament like this on relatively short notice would give the upper hand to DC.  Avenel and Congressional are attractive because they are easily accessible compared to other potential clubs in the area that would probably welcome the event.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 10:44:41 AM »
JES - I think you are reading the sponsorship issue absolutely spot on. There will always be takers when the "price" is right. The trouble (I should say challenge) with these events is how the primary sponsor values the goodwill the tournament will generate. With a proper investment and exection in PR, an inherent need for pertinent client entertainment, a brand, product or service, that has "enough" appeal to the target audience, it should be a pretty sound promotional investment for the right company.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 10:54:59 AM »
Dan: The problem with the tournament is not just the sponsorship of the event.  As I understand it they have to commit to millions in TV advertising as well.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 12:22:44 PM »

taking the tour out of Chiicago - always well-attended, Tiger usually there, in the third largest city in the country, and removing the Western Open name to boot - has to be one of the dumbest things I have seen done in a LONG time

I had read awhile ago the geniuses in Ponte Vedre were reconsidering, but I haven't heard anything

I would love to know their reasoning behind such a brillant move

and, since when is Washington a bigger market than Philadelphia?  

In addition to discussions about Phila. Cricket's Militia Hill course, I thought I read that the ACE Club was redesigned/rebuilt to lure a PGA tour event?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back