News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daryn_Soldan

Water Management - Thesis Topic
« on: February 03, 2007, 11:44:18 PM »
I'm doing some preliminary work and information gathering for my landscape architecture master's thesis.  For the past couple months I've been kicking around the idea of focusing on water management practices related to golf courses and the reasoning behind the decisions that are made with regards to this issue.  More specifically, I've thought of targeting my efforts toward golf courses/developments in the arid southwestern US.  I'm very interested in water issues and the current and future role they play in golf course development and long-term sustainability, but I need to gain a better understanding of the issue before diving much further into the specifics of the thesis writting process.  Fortunately, I'm early enough in the process that changes in direction and details of the methods used can still be made.    

I'd love to hear thought from those on the board about specific ideas related to this topic that I might explore and/or resources that I should be looking into.  For those of you directly involved in golf course development, design, construction and maintenance, what are issues in this area that you face on a daily basis, and looking to the future, what do you see as the most important water management issues related to golf courses over the next 10, 50 or 100 years?

I look forward to seeing some thoughts on this topic and appreciate any input/advice you may have.

Thanks,
Daryn

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Water Management - Thesis Topic
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 08:12:16 AM »
Take a look at The Bridge's process in Southampton, it should give you some ideas:

http://www.town.southampton.ny.us/specialmain.ihtml?id=205

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 08:12:22 AM »
Would like to see the efficiency percentage/ratio for a gallon of water as to how much of it is used by the plant vs how much is dispersed.  Will the future be sub irrigation or how will this efficiency increase?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 10:43:16 AM »
Daryn,

When I get back to the office, I will send you some thoughts I have jotted down on this very subject.  

Your professors have done a recent article in Golf Management on this very subject, using a local course you know well as the subject.

If you check my Cybergolf series, I did a column with a useage chart showing how superintendents use their computers to manage water.

Years ago, I did some studies in Asia, where we figured out chances of a grass plant dying with reduced watering.  As you may know, superintendents water according to the "checkbook theory" basically replacing water lost to ET.  Of course, in the desert, that is required.  The gist of my theories is that in other areas, since turf can survive on only 33% of its field capacity of water, that reducing watering from ET to say 80% of ET, and counting on rain every so often (it would have to vary regionally) that overall watering would be reduced not only because there is a greater chance that rain will not be wasted, but because the plants would eventually learn to use less water because they have deeper roots.

Now, that isn't a new theory, but it seems that many supers have gone away from the deep infrequent watering to small applications every night, for consistency.  
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 11:49:49 AM »
Slightly OT but fascinating none the less:

For many years we've heard the old cliche, when it's 110 degrees in Palm Springs (or Las Vegas, or Scottsdale, fill in the blank), it doesn't feel so hot because it's "DRY HEAT!"  8)

Not any more.  Those who participated in the Kings Putter last June in Palm Springs, when we played 36 holes on Sunday in 115 degree heat  :o can testify that it didn't feel dry, it felt humid.

That's because there is so much irrigation going on in those formerly arid areas, both of golf and non-golf grass, that the humidity must be much higher than it used to be when seriscapes were in style and there weren't as many golf courses.  And maybe the golf courses didn't have to be as green as Ireland in the rainy season.

How long can that kind of "water management" go on?

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 12:27:08 PM »
You could compare two clubs in simlar Climate( ie. Hoylake and the Belfery)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 12:40:41 PM »
I'm doing some preliminary work and information gathering for my landscape architecture master's thesis.  For the past couple months I've been kicking around the idea of focusing on water management practices related to golf courses and the reasoning behind the decisions that are made with regards to this issue.  More specifically, I've thought of targeting my efforts toward golf courses/developments in the arid southwestern US.  I'm very interested in water issues and the current and future role they play in golf course development and long-term sustainability, but I need to gain a better understanding of the issue before diving much further into the specifics of the thesis writting process.  Fortunately, I'm early enough in the process that changes in direction and details of the methods used can still be made.    

I'd love to hear thought from those on the board about specific ideas related to this topic that I might explore and/or resources that I should be looking into.  For those of you directly involved in golf course development, design, construction and maintenance, what are issues in this area that you face on a daily basis, and looking to the future, what do you see as the most important water management issues related to golf courses over the next 10, 50 or 100 years?

I look forward to seeing some thoughts on this topic and appreciate any input/advice you may have.

Thanks,
Daryn

Daryn,

A side topic often overlooked is that of irrigation system maintenance and design, and how the location and usage of irrigation heads help superintendents manage water output and application.

Perhaps a direction you could take is to analyze the design of the irrigation of a golf course and determine how effeciently the water is put down.

For example, do the location and range of the green heads ensure that no water is wasted by being overthrown into the rough, approach or other green surrounds?

Do the speed of the fairway heads sync up so that the amount of water put down is not any different where the heads overlap coverage?

Just an idea, the biological angle is one side of the whole equation. Getting the water to the plant in the most effecient manner is more of the "day to day" type stuff you'll encounter.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 01:29:22 PM »
Daryn,

It might be advisable to bifurcate your thesis.

You mentioned, "courses/developments" in the Southwest.

There are important distinctions between the two.

There are "stand alone" golf courses, golf and country clubs, and their are "residential communities" that have a golf course/s as part of their facility.

The culture of the two can be quite different, and therefore so can the philosophies that affect their operation and maintainance.

It might be an interesting study to discover and analyze those differences.

Good Luck

David Sucher

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 01:52:25 PM »
As I remember from reading it years ago, here is a lot of interesting stuff throughout Tom Doak's "Anatomy of a Golf Course," particularly about the centrality of golfers' "cultural expectations"  (i.e. what a golf course should look like) in determining how water is used.

Steve Lang

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 10:30:20 AM »
 8)

How about the use of multiple location nested lysimeters in directly establishing a course's water balance and water application regimen.  Means of estimating evapotranspiration and water levels in the vadose zones could then be reconciled in the wet and dry regions of a golf course.  THis should lead to a better understand how nature's perturbations influence course conditions under different supt maintenance approaches.

Address the ground layer water balances: in-out = accumulation

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 10:34:43 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Daryn_Soldan

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 03:43:32 PM »
Thank you to all who have replied on this topic and/or sent me PMs.  I've recieved several good ideas regarding direction for the study as well as some assistance with resources that will likely be very valuable as I move forward.  I'll try and expand on some of these at a later time.

Kyle, your thoughts on system design and maintenance are some that I've been looking into quite a bit recently.  Just this morning I was able to talk to an irrigation systems designer regarding water saving measures as well as advances that are being made through R&D by manufacturers.  This is an area that I need to continue to lean about and definitely one that I may pursue more in depth.

-Daryn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back