News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sébastien Dhaussy

"Country Club Magazine & Pacific Golf & Motor" question
« on: January 26, 2007, 12:23:55 PM »
Is there an Internet site where I can consult digital version of this magazine ?

Geoff Shackelford often mentions this magazine in his book on George Thomas (The Captain was a frequent contributor to this magazine).

Thanks.

... and sorry for the "California golfers", I have no other example of page from this magazine  :D
"It's for everyone to choose his own path to glory - or perdition" Ben CRENSHAW

Sean_Tully

Re:"Country Club Magazine & Pacific Golf & Motor" question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 01:04:29 PM »
The Country Club magazine is a very good magazine for info on golf in California and the Pacific Northwest. I know of two places that have most of or, the full run. I wish that they were online!!! They have the full run of the Country Club at the Bancroft at UC-Berkeley and a number of issues at the AAFLA in LA. I have gone through a number of issues at the BAncroft, but it is too much of a hassle. After a 30 minute drive, parking, and signing in I have only an hour and a half to look at the magazines and index the data.

The magazine later joined up with Pacific Golf and Motor sometime during the Depression. This was very common as times were tough. I try to pick up some copies, but they are hard to find and can be a little pricey!

I love the SEGL archive, but it lacks my focus of research in CA. It would be great if they could get there hands on some issues!! ::)

Tully

Sébastien Dhaussy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 04:31:16 AM »
Sean,

Thanks for the information.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 03:18:38 PM »
At first I misread the thread title to be "Country Life Magazine". So I was disappointed to hear it is not available online. But now, is there still hope for Country Life? :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 03:23:28 AM »
The magazine started out as such: Country Club was a magazine and Pacific Coast Golf & Motor Magazine was another. The combined their resources and it became Country Club Golfer and Pacific Golf & Motor Magazine. At this time the issues contained articles form everyone from Thomas, Tillinghast, MacKenzie to Behr with stories by Scotty Chisolm and Editor, Sherman Paddock all based out of Pasadena, with it's printing and circulation office in Whittier, less then three miles away from where I type this.

After the hurt of the depression put a damper on things, Northwest Golfer, who also was more or less needing subscribers, combined resources and writers Chisolm & Paddock with Country Club & Pacific Coast Golf & Motor, thus forming Pacific Coast Golf which was published until the end of 1942. The magazine was then published and circulated out of Seattle.

I think the key to the magazines was Scotty Chisolm, as well as Sheman Paddock's excellent ramblings. Chisolm had an alter ego/psuedo of sorts, clad in a Scottish kilt named, Boles McCracken. His clever writing style, all in the dialect of a Scot at large in the world of Southern California, as well as the many friendships he had fostered from golf, really gives a great insight as to what was going on in golf at that time in LA. And yesterday I came across something at the AAF/Ralph Miller Library that sort of broke my heart in a way. It was the description of how the sport was slowly slipping away, at least the sport that he knew and the personalities that went with it. He wrote how Thomas and MacKenzie, and now Tillie, who he had held in high regard, had passed and that golf in LA would never be the same, and that "Billie" Bell was the last one left. After that, his Boles McCracken writings seemed to be very less inspired and by the end of the year the magazine was gone.

Unfortunately so were the great golf courses that once existed here.

Also, the article by Thomas claiming California Golfers stupid, was about the insistence to always hold the California State Amateur at one place--Pebble Beach. He felt that it should have been traded-off back and forth, year to year. I could be wrong here, but California Golfer's finally stopped being stupid this last year as the event is now being alternated--I think.... But then again, yes, Thomas was right. California Golfers are stupid.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 03:30:07 AM by Tommy Naccarato »

Sébastien Dhaussy

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 05:51:24 AM »
Thanks Tommy.

JohnV

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 12:03:57 PM »
Also, the article by Thomas claiming California Golfers stupid, was about the insistence to always hold the California State Amateur at one place--Pebble Beach. He felt that it should have been traded-off back and forth, year to year. I could be wrong here, but California Golfer's finally stopped being stupid this last year as the event is now being alternated--I think.... But then again, yes, Thomas was right. California Golfers are stupid.

That is correct, I believe that this year they are going to play at Monterey Peninsula and are looking to move it around after that.  We'll see if they get the great courses or just the "hot" new ones in the future.

There is also a rumor that when the Pacific Coast Amateur first got started, it was offered the first week in August at Pebble Beach for a large number of years, but turned it down because they wanted to move it around.  For a number of years it rotated between LA North, Olympic, Eugene and Seattle which wasn't a bad set of courses.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 07:45:30 PM »
Sean,
That Hunter article on Berkeley CC that you sent me was from Pacific Golf and Motor.  I will be at the AAF/Ralph Miller Library during the GIS show in February then up at Bancroft at UC-Berkeley in March.  Hope to see you in Anaheim.
Mark

Sean_Tully

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 08:22:16 PM »
Mark,

What days are you going to AAFLA? I am in if I can swing it! I will be going to the Bancroft on Thursday of this week to look at a number of things that will either have me on cloud nine or at the corner bar drinking away my sorrow. The Bancroft is one of the best sources of info for me and they have some early golf mags and some other interesting things ;).

Tully

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back