News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Gold

Australia & NZ Questions
« on: January 21, 2007, 01:42:57 PM »
My wife and I are heading to Australia and NZ for the first time this April/May and I have a couple of questions for any experts.

1.  Anything within cab distance of Sydney worth taking a day out of our 3 week trip to play?  Afetr doing aquick search on the bards I can't believe how many wonderful relatively inexpensive courses (most open to public) there are in Australia.  Don't seem to be many around Sydney though.  Am I wrong?

2.  We will be in NZ for about 7 days.  Plan on 2 or three days in Auckland and then renting a car and driving to Bay of Islands.  Didn't realize it 'til we started to plan that Cape Kidnappers was in that area.  We plan on three nights in the Bay of Islands and would love to play Cape Kidnappers.  Looks like it will work out to around $600 US for the two of us (green fees, club rental, caddie, caddie tip).  This may be a dumb question but is there any way to play Kidnappers for less than the published rate?  I grew up and learned to play on a Ross course (The Orchards in Mass.) and I think that helped to develop in me a pretty good appreciation of GC design. That being said, we live in the SF Bay Area but have never played Pebble ($1000 per player is just not my speed).  Still, for some reason I feel compelled to play Kidnappers.

3.  If Kidnappers proves to be to much $, what are some other good less expensive options in the Bay of Islands?

4.  We've been thinking about staying in Kerikeri at the Stone Store Lodge.  Their golf special seems quite reasonable.

http://www.stonestorelodge.co.nz/pages/golf-specials.php  

Can anyone comment on Kerikeri, this lodge, or the courses listed in the special?

Thanks,
Bob

Andrew Hastie

Re:Australia & NZ Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 02:06:12 PM »
Sydney is nothing compared to Melbourne for golf but a much nicer city otherwise ;D.However of course N.S.W golf club is worth a game.After that you have Royal Sydney, The Lakes and Australian GC(but you will never get on the Aussie).All Australian open courses.
A good course close to the city is Bonnie Doon and not to expensive.You could also try St Michaels next to NSW.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
Bob - I hope you know kerikeri is a 9 hour drive from Kidnappers.  The course at kk is a hilly little parkland layout - ok but light years from Kidnappers.  Pay the freight and play Kidnappers - a fantastic golf course at one of the most stunning settings in the world.

Many thing in life are over-rated.  Kidnappers is not one of them.

JC

Anthony Butler

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 02:11:44 PM »
My wife and I are heading to Australia and NZ for the first time this April/May and I have a couple of questions for any experts.

1.  Anything within cab distance of Sydney worth taking a day out of our 3 week trip to play?  Afetr doing aquick search on the bards I can't believe how many wonderful relatively inexpensive courses (most open to public) there are in Australia.  Don't seem to be many around Sydney though.  Am I wrong?

YOU ARE NOT WRONG MOST OF THE GOOD COURSES WITHIN SYDNEY ARE PRIVATE... THAT SAID YOU CAN GET ON MOST AS AN UNACCOMPANIED VISITOR FOR APPROX US $70-100. SEND A FAX OR EMAIL BEFORE YOU LEAVE. ROYAL SYDNEY IS TRICKY TO GET ON. AND THE AUSTRALIAN IS MORE LIKE $150. NSWGC OR THE LAKES IS YOUR BEST BET ON EITHER MONDAY/TUESDAY AFTERNOON OR FRIDAY. YOU WON'T GET ONTO A PRIVATE COURSE OR ANY DECENT PUBLIC COURSE ON THE WEEKEND ANYWAY.

2.  We will be in NZ for about 7 days.  Plan on 2 or three days in Auckland and then renting a car and driving to Bay of Islands.  Didn't realize it 'til we started to plan that Cape Kidnappers was in that area.  We plan on three nights in the Bay of Islands and would love to play Cape Kidnappers.  Looks like it will work out to around $600 US for the two of us (green fees, club rental, caddie, caddie tip).  This may be a dumb question but is there any way to play Kidnappers for less than the published rate?  I grew up and learned to play on a Ross course (The Orchards in Mass.) and I think that helped to develop in me a pretty good appreciation of GC design. That being said, we live in the SF Bay Area but have never played Pebble ($1000 per player is just not my speed).  Still, for some reason I feel compelled to play Kidnappers.
KIDNAPPERS IS IN HAWKES BAY.  KAURI CLIFFS IS IN THE BAY OF ISLANDS AREA. KIDNAPPERS SOUTH OF AUCKLAND 3-4 HOURS DRIVE. KAURI CLIFFS 2 HOURS DRIVE NORTH.

3.  If Kidnappers proves to be to much $, what are some other good less expensive options in the Bay of Islands? SEE ABOVE. KAURI CLIFFS ABOUT $250 A ROUND. ONLY DISCOUNT IS FOR NEW ZEALAND RESIDENTS OR LODGE GUESTS. WHICH IS $$$$.

4.  We've been thinking about staying in Kerikeri at the Stone Store Lodge.  Their golf special seems quite reasonable.

http://www.stonestorelodge.co.nz/pages/golf-specials.php  

KERIKERI A VERY PICTURESQUE TOWN IN A SPECTACULAR PART OF NZ. APPROX 1/2 FROM KAURI CLIFFS. WAITANGI NOTHING IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD OF KAURI CLIFFS OR KIDNAPPERS, BUT VIEWS ARE INCREDIBLE.

Can anyone comment on Kerikeri, this lodge, or the courses listed in the special?

SEE ABOVE. HOPE THAT HELPS. BAY OF ISLANDS A VERY SPECIAL PLACE. A LONG WAY FROM KIDNAPPERS THOUGH.

Thanks,
Bob
Next!

Anthony Butler

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 02:14:53 PM »

A good course close to the city is Bonnie Doon and not to expensive.You could also try St Michaels next to NSW.

BONNIE DOON HAS UNDERGONE A LOT OF RECONSTRUCTION IN THE LAST FEW. CONDITIONS MAY HAVE IMPROVED THOUGH... THE BEST SEMI-PUBLIC COURSE WITHIN A CAB RIDE OF THE CITY IS ST MICHAELS. IT IS QUITE SIMILAR TO NSW FOR ABOUT 35% OF THE PRICE. FRIDAYS AFTER 1PM IS WHEN YOU ARE MOST WELCOME OUT THERE.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 02:16:05 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 04:16:43 PM »
Bob,
   I also live in the Bay Area, and will be down in NZ/Australia in the same time frame. Check your IM.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Michael Robin

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 06:56:46 PM »
Bob -

Re: NZ - I highly suggest that you use the small planes to get around the North Island if time is at all a concern. From Auckland, take the short hop to Kerikeri and then drive the 20 minutes to Kauri Cliffs. Especially since you are with your wife, you should stay at least 1 day at the Lodge there at Kauri Cliffs. It is one of the best little hotel experiences in the world. Great rooms, GREAT food, and the Robertsons are wonderful hosts. Their son Jay is actually the GM there. Make sure to time it so you can experience one of the picnics that they do for the guests at their beach. They golf is good and they have just opened a new spa. You'll meet people from all over the world who come to stay there regardless of the golf, and everyone eats together in the dining room at night. Also, try to have them arrange a visit to the Kauri Trees at the top of the North Island. Use a helicopter if you can.

From there, drive back to Kerikeri, puddle jump back to Auckland, change planes and fly to Napier. From there, drive 30 minutes to Cape Kidnappers. I don't think that the lodge is finished yet, but there are some decent places to stay in Napier and Havelock North.

After that, you should try to go to Wellington for Paraparamu. Then find your way back to Auckland or go to the South Island for sightseeing.

One last thing, if you are willing to take a side trip from Sydney, you better take the 2 hour flight to Launceston, drive the hour to Bridport and stay and play at Barnbougle. Not expensive and maybe the best course built since Sand Hills.

You didn't mention Melbourne, but the Sandbelt is obviously a must at some point in time.

Have fun and let me know if you need some other hotel ideas.

Michael.

Justin Gale

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 10:17:44 PM »
Bob

I am from Sydney and stayed in the Bay of Islands area recently for a short holiday. We stayed in the larger town of Paihia, a bit south of Kerikeri. As others have said, Cape Kidnappers is a long way away, but Kauri Cliffs is not far though from Kerikeri. I didnt get the chance to play there, but has a walk around a few holes and it is truly breathtaking. Not cheap at around $350 NZ, but some of the best landscape for a course in the world.

Between Auckland and Kerikeri there are a few decent courses. I played at the RTJ designed Gulf Harbour CC about 30 mins north of Auckland. Decent course, with some great holes on the back nine on the cliff tops, and fairly reasonable at around $85 NZ.

In Sydney, there are many fine courses close to the city. NSW would have to be the pick. Not sure if you can get on The Australian or Royal Sydney (both private), or The Lakes for that matter. Bonnie Doon, St Michaels and The Coast are all great courses withion 20 minutes of the city. A bit further afiled is Macquarie Links (private, but able to get on Wednesdays or as a prospective member) which I highly recommend - which a fellow GCAer, Brett Mogg, designed wth his firm. Its only 30 mins from the city, but about 45kms, so hiring a car would be better.

Hope that helps a bit - have a great trip.

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 12:04:04 AM »
Bob,

I’m from Sydney & suggest that NSW is the only course worth playing if you only have one day to play golf.

Apart from that, you will be able to get onto every other course as an overseas guest. The Australian will set you back $320AUS, Royal Sydney & The Lakes will be between $180 - $230AUS.

Bonnie Doon may have some holes out, so you are best to check if you wish to play there.

St Michael’s may be in a similar situation due to some re-turfing.

The Coast is definitely not worth it, especially with the recent changes due to housing.

We don’t have fully ‘private’ clubs here in Australia in the way you do in America, apart from the courses that are privately owned.

Basically, stick with NSW golf club.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 12:05:18 AM by Andrew Summerell »

David_Elvins

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 12:16:11 AM »
Andrew is probably right about Sydney.

You might however, manage a day trip to Kingston Heath, Royal Melbourne or Barnbougle Dunes.  Return flights can be found for AU$120-AU$150ish from time to time.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 04:40:16 PM »
Bob,

I’m from Sydney & suggest that NSW is the only course worth playing if you only have one day to play golf.

Basically, stick with NSW golf club.

Bob,

I have consulted the NSWGC 2007 Members Handbook and the following times are alloted for unaccompanied visitors play.

Monday after 12:30pm.
Thursday 1:15-2pm
Friday 8:30-11:30am.

It seems they eliminated all unaccompanied visitors play on Sunday.

Unless you really like your golf hard, I would try Friday morning. The wind usually gets up in the afternoon and makes conditions extremely challenging.

I would gladly host you for a game, but I am in Cambridge, MA waiting for the birth of my first child. I might see a golf course again sometime in late August. :) :'(
Next!

ed_getka

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 09:54:51 PM »
Anthony,
   What makes you think you are going to see a golf course in August? ;) The baby will barely be sleeping through the night. :'( :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 10:57:26 AM »

Bob:

Definitely consider Newcastle, profiled by Ran on this site. You would need to rent a car, however.  
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 10:58:23 AM by Jason Topp »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 12:01:38 PM »
Theres a gret deal being put on by quantas at the moment.

Essentially you get airfare to and from Australia and 3 free flights within Australia all for 1 price.  Would be a good way to get around and play those other courses.

"Your international round-trip ticket to Australia plus 3 flights within Australia from US$1099*. "

Here is the link:

http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn/us/specials/webDeals217

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 05:49:24 AM »
A slight amendment to what Anthony posted before regarding times at NSW for unaccompanied guests. (A friend who is also a member at NSW, who reads the threads here, but doesn’t post, asked me to post this).

There is one group time on a Wednesday at 8.18 off 1st tee, this is quite often used by golf tour companies but it's possibly first in, first served, not sure. The Thu times for April/May should read 12.45 - 1.15, 10th tee.

Definitely consider Newcastle, profiled by Ran on this site. You would need to rent a car, however.  

I'm a member at Newcastle GC, but live in Sydney. I'm always happy to help if someone wants to play Newcastle, but it is a solid 2 hour drive to get there from Sydney, which makes it difficult if restricted for time.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 05:53:58 AM »
I drove up and played Newcastle last March - a pleasant parkland course but no NSW by any stretch of the imagination.  A little known fact about Newcastle is that our own Ran M. was once a member there.

JC

Bob_Gold

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 10:04:05 PM »
Last week I sent NSW an email to reserve a tee time in April through their online reservation system but have not heard from them.  Does anyone have any experience with making a tee time as an international visitor at NSW?  Does it usually take them a while to respond?
If i don't hear from them in a few days I'll probably just send a new message to the email address on their site and bypass the online reservation system.
Any suggestions appreciated.
thanks,
Bob

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 11:16:33 PM »
Bob,

My recollection was that they were fairly prompt in corresponding with me. I did not use the online reservation system, but opted to send a letter instead.

TK

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back