News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Jacksonville, FL area golf
« on: January 11, 2007, 04:03:54 PM »
I am looking to play in Jacksonville at the end of February. Any suggestions? It is on a Tuesday and TPC Sawgrass is closed Tuesdays in February.
Mr Hurricane

BCrosby

Re:Jacksonville, FL area golf
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 04:26:57 PM »
JIm -

Try the Ponte Vedra course. Bobby Weed has made some interesting changes ovr the last several years.

Timiquana is a low key Ross that is fun, parts of which have been restored.

In the hidden gem category, try Hyde Park, an old Thompson/Ross course (no one knows for sure who did what) with fees that can't be beat.

If you drive an hour north you might try the mysterious Fernandina Beach Golf Course, a public course that still haunts Tom Paul. Don't ask.

Bob

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 06:30:21 PM »
San Jose CC just went through a very impressive renovation (or should we say reRossification) by Dan Schlegel.  Here are some pics that a friend of mine took during opening day.  

[img]http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos2839/4/42/38/79/95/2/295793842403_0_ALB.jpg [img]

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:33:34 PM »
ooops.  I bricked the photo upload.  can anyone remind me what I type before and after the URL?

Adam_Messix

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 07:49:14 PM »
Jim--

Try to play at Pablo Creek, it's a Tom Fazio design that I enjoy playing very much.  The club is pretty low key and despite it's location near Turner Butler Boulevard is not easy to find.  They are open on Tuesdays.

Chris Parker

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 08:47:25 PM »
ooops.  I bricked the photo upload.  can anyone remind me what I type before and after the URL?

Wayne,

You just forgot the forward slash in the square brackets before the second "img" at the end of the URL.  Also, I don't know if it will work with the space before the closing square brackets.  Hope I wasn't too confusing...

« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:48:15 PM by Chris Parker »
"Undulation is the soul of golf." - H.N. Wethered

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 09:04:44 AM »
Thanks everyone. And Adam, I have a friend whose in-laws are members at Pablo and I have been trying to reach him. So hopefully I can get in there.
Mr Hurricane

BigEdSC

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 09:11:40 AM »
I would like to take Jim's post a step further.

I will be in the process of moving from Charleston to Jacksonville either this summer or the following summer.  The area where I will probably be living is on the SW side of Jax.  Any suggestions on where to put down roots to play?

I've played Hyde Park years ago and liked it.  Also, I heard a great deal is joining the Valley course at TPC.  Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:12:07 AM by Ed Galbavy »

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 01:20:07 PM »
Pablo, if you have access, would be at the top of the list.

Others - all worthwhile (some private) would include:
TPC Valley, Timuquana, Deerwood, San Jose, Ponte Vedra Ocean...  Of those - Ponte Vedra (as a resort guest) and TPC Valley are accessible to the public.

South of town - Palencia is private (Art Hills) and gets mixed reviews, King & Bear and Slammer & Squire at World Golf Village are fine resort courses, and St Johns G&CC is a fine public-access course.

North of town - Amelia National is an excellent new private Fazio course, North Hampton is an interesting publc-access course, and the courses at Amelia Island Plantation are resort courses.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 05:45:28 PM »
Steve and Jim F--

Amelia National is a very enjoyable course and worth the effort to visit.  I played a course on the Western side of town, fairly new called Panther Lake, it is currently a semi-private course but will become a 27 hole private eventually that I rode around but didn't play but want to get back to because it looked very interesting.  Tough too, all three combinations come out to about 7400 from the tips.  I think it's a Dye-Finger-Spann but I'm not sure so don't quote me.  

There's also the original Sawgrass CC across A1A from the TPC which is pretty good but did not blow me away.  

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 05:50:53 PM »
I would definitely put Bobby Weed's Fleming Island in the mix--it would be near the top of my Jacksonville list.

It's probably out of the way, but anyone in northeast Florida needs to try to check out the Club de Bonmont course at Plantation Bay in Ormond Beach. This is a jaw-dropping redesign by Steve Smyers that opened in November. One of the best redesigns I've ever seen.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back