News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Don't laugh, I mean that seriously. It's a legitimate question.

I have no idea if it's probable, possible or practical or not but if not why not?

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Is it possible to build a really good course that doesn't look good?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 12:41:59 PM »
TEPaul,

Very flat courses would probably fit your quest.

TOC might qualify.

Jeremy_Glenn.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 12:42:25 PM »
Absolutely, it's possible.  

However, it won't be as good as the same course that also "looks good".  

So, why would you want to?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:43:17 PM by Jeremy Glenn. »

John Nixon

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 12:45:23 PM »
I've never heard Carnoustie described as beautiful or good-looking. I've often heard it described as really good.

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 12:52:43 PM »
Do you mean a flat, browned out course bounded by factories, an airport and warehouses? How about adding a busy commuter train that runs along one side and dumpy B&B's and apartment complexes on two other sides?

That's Prestwick the last time I was there. I loved it.

Bob

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 12:55:03 PM »
On another recent thread I recall Seaton Carew being described as golf on the set of Bladerunner and I don't think that was meant as a compliment to its industrial setting.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 12:56:24 PM »
I'm also not sure anyone would describe Hoylake as good looking but it's a very, very fine golf course.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 12:56:26 PM »
No.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 12:59:51 PM »
Add Royal Lytham to the list.

I'd also add The Old Course, but I will be shot for such an outrageous thought.  I still think it is fabulous and utterly great.

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 01:03:03 PM »
Guess it depends on what one thinks looks good.

The photos of almost all of the above courses mentioned look flat out gorgeous to me. Then again, so does Oakmont, so what do I know?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 01:06:29 PM »
Tom,

Methinks this thread was inspired by the open, flattish, boring look of the 12th at Rustic, and possibly the original 4th which was as visually exciting as Angela Lansbury, but also with similar depth of character and subtle grace.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 01:07:29 PM by Mike Cirba »

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 01:22:49 PM »
"So, why would you want to?"

Jeremy:

Why would I want to?

It's very simple actually. It's because I am just completely curious, fixated would probably be more like it, how in God's Little Green Earth we can EVER get this total reliance on the part of everyone on some of landscape architecture's "principles" out of golf course architecture where I feel it does not need to belong in every and all cases. I want to debrief and brainwash this fixation on looks out of as many golfers as I possibly can until I reach something in the neighborhood of my own comfort zone in my Big World theory.

You know what they say: "It's not that important if it looks good, it's much more important that it just feels good."

"Tom,

Methinks this thread was inspired by the open, flattish, boring look of the 12th at Rustic, and possibly the original 4th which was as visually exciting as Angela Lansbury, but also with similar depth of character and subtle grace."

No, Mike, it was not. It was inspired by something I'm working on now. There are a few landforms that do not look good and frankly I doubt there is anything possible that could ever be done to make them look good. So I was thinking about what all to do about that.

My first inclination is to simply slap a total copy of Riviera's #10 on one of them but to do it in mirror image. In my book Riv's #10 does not exactly look good and never has. It's basically just a flat open pretty boring landform but the hole is one of the golf architectural wonders of the world, in my book.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 01:29:49 PM by TEPaul »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 01:24:24 PM »
Tom,

Methinks this thread was inspired by the open, flattish, boring look of the 12th at Rustic, and possibly the original 4th which was as visually exciting as Angela Lansbury, but also with similar depth of character and subtle grace.

Hey Careful now Mike, thats dangerous waters

Ms. Lansbury is smoking hot!!!   ;D

ForkaB

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 01:26:48 PM »
So that's what you mean, Tommy!  I'm on board.

And, while we're at it, what does it really mean to "tie in" golf course features to the external environment, and even if we (think we) know, is this actually important to GCA or is it yet another form of eye-candy foist upon us by wannabe landscape architects masquerading as GCAs?

BCrosby

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 01:33:17 PM »
Tom -

Couldn't agree more that landscape architecture needs to be kept separate from gca. Two entirely different disciplines. Neither necessarily involves the other.

(BTW, the Cousins book they use at the HSD course takes the opposite view. It sees gca as a sub-discipline of LA. I think that is wrong. What's going on, I suspect, it that they are trying to find a way to give gca the standing it needs to be taught in academia.)

I too think one of the biggest confusions about gca is that because some great courses are pretty, people conclude that all great course must be pretty.

Bob

Dan Kelly

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 01:35:59 PM »
Tom,

To each his own!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 01:36:32 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 01:39:07 PM »
Tom,

To each his own!

You know, Dan...I only know Ms. Lansbury from her matronly "Murder, She Wrote" role and when I wrote that I figured some wiseguy would probably know that she was a complete fox in her younger years and call me on it.

However, if you can also tell me that Barbara Bush was smokin' when she was young, I think I'll just go away quietly, head hanging low...

BCrosby

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 01:39:26 PM »
Dan - Is that really a young Angela Lansbury? Wow.

Bob
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 01:40:05 PM by BCrosby »

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 01:41:29 PM »
What about Oakmont?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 01:43:00 PM by Matthew Hunt »

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 01:44:19 PM »
"Tom -
Couldn't agree more that landscape architecture needs to be kept separate from gca. Two entirely different disciplines. Neither necessarily involves the other."

Bob:

Do you really think so? Do you really mean that? If so, how far back do you think we need to go, as historians anyway, to begin to determine just how and why so many people began to think otherwise?

Richard the Magnificent:

I will deal with you and your post later. You never cease to amaze me, you bright little duck---you just sort of hang out there somewhere watching from a distance and then something good and philosophical pops up and you come swooping in there like an eagle on the kill or on the make. You're amazing. Bright, bright, bright!

Has your great little daughter even remotely figured you out yet?

If there are golf courses that look like those shots of Landsbury in those snapshots, just let me play them when they first open and I'll be glad to give 'em up for the rest of time. Apparently sometimes maturity sucks but can that ever be said about a golf course in all ways?

But I'll tell you one I would kill to have seen when it popped right out of the box never again to reach that zenith. Cypress Point---there is no question about it. Why could it not have remainded as it was then? That's another great question for another time and place.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 01:56:06 PM by TEPaul »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 01:57:56 PM »

Ms. Lansbury again.

I'll never watch Murder She Wrote in the same way.

And now, as I slink away in total shame...  :'(

Dan Kelly

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 02:04:16 PM »

Ms. Lansbury again.

I'll never watch Murder She Wrote in the same way.

And now, as I slink away in total shame...  :'(

That's OK, Mike.

You probably looked better when you were younger, too.

I wonder: Is that ever true of golf courses? Is it usually true? If it is, what does it mean?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 02:05:50 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 02:08:46 PM »
Tom P. and Mark R.:

Reminds me of Jim Murray's comical observation of Lytham and St. Anne's during his first visit; something about the look of the course reminding him of a vacant lot in Cleveland.

One of the best!
jeffmingay.com

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 02:13:14 PM »
That's OK, Mike.

You probably looked better when you were younger, too.

ain't that the truth...

tlavin

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 02:13:29 PM »
We've been chatting up Riviera in another thread and it occurs to me that from the first fairway to the seventeenth green, the golf course is visually banal, mainly due to the flatness of the terrain.  There are some barrancas that break up the visual monotony and one can look up to the houses at the top of the bowl, but it is otherwise visually vanilla.  And a spectacular design.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back