News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Ralston

How proud are you?
« on: January 10, 2007, 10:34:37 AM »
A thread about 'Joe Sixpack' got me to thinking about what tees people choose, and why. I must choose short tees because, as I said there, 200 yd tees shots are a happy occasion for me; and I try to make all par-4s at least theoretically reachable in regulation.

My question: Could you? If you were getting a bit older, and all your partners still were hitting big, but you were not, could you move up? What if it was all the way to 5000 yd? What if it was labled 'Lady's tees'? Or would you find some excuse to stop playing, pleading 'health' of 'busy' issues? Or perhaps would you insist on still playing back, no matter how out of reach GIR became?

Doug

Tom Huckaby

Re:How proud are you?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 10:44:14 AM »
Doug - I am very glad you asked that question.

I've claimed for years that I have no tee ego; I'm a 3-6 handicap depending on how the putts fall, and I don't hit the ball all that far... so I've always been quite content playing middle tees, short tees, hell I'll play anywhere the group wants to play.  I have zero need to play the tips and in fact 99% of the time don't enjoy playing such as it becomes a slog for me.

BUT....

One thing I have a hard time doing is playing shorter tees than others in the group, unless I am convinced they are plus handicap sluggers and my ego is convinced I have no purpose competing with them.  That does happen; I have no delusions of grandeur.  But it is rare, only because I rarely play with really good players.

At times I have stayed at middle tees playing with yahoos like the guys Paul played with in AZ as they played the tips, just to make a point... but it is tough for the ego to handle.

;)

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 10:47:32 AM »
boy I have no problem playing different tees than others in my group Huck...why should I let total strangers "dictate" which tees I should play, esp when they should move up??

Jerry, i believe as Father Time marches on and I get shorter and weaker off the tee I will move up...and if I don't and am playing with any of you guys pls mention it to me!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John_Cullum

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 10:50:09 AM »
A few years ago I played at Black Diamond from  around the 6700 yard tees. On the back nine we caught up with a single, an elderly gentleman who was playing from the most forward tees, and we played in with him. He was Tommy Bolt, and he played those tees every day and was having a good time.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 10:50:36 AM »
Doug,  I'm pleased to find someone else on this DG who is pleased with a 200 yard drive.  We must play together some day!  In the UK, generally speaking, you don't have any option about which tees to use.  On most courses in the competition season there are two men's tees (white and yellow) and one ladies' (red).  If you were seen playing from the ladies' tees there would be a complaint from the ladies to the Secretary and you would be sent a curt note never to play there again.  For club competitions you play the white tees.  Visitors normally play the yellows unless granted dispensation by the Secretary or Professional.  At many clubs social golf by members is allowed only from the yellow tees, although Conwy, my home club allows members to play the white course at any time.  The championship courses usually have several sets of men's tees, but there is not usually an option of which tee you may use.  A competition will be off one specified tee, other play off another specified tee.  Occasionally there are separate seniors' or juvenile tees.  With cards automatically counting for handicap when submitted for a competition (and there are a lot of men's competitions at many clubs - 3 or 4 a week in the summer plus seniors') you simply cannot have any leeway over the tee of the day.

Many of the resort/coprporate golf courses have several sets of tees, but you are very rarely given an option about which to use.  They almost invariably seem to set people off on the shortest men's tees whether their handicap is 2 or 22.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 10:55:53 AM »
boy I have no problem playing different tees than others in my group Huck...why should I let total strangers "dictate" which tees I should play, esp when they should move up??

The question isn't really about total strangers.  Heck in your AZ situation I too would have played where I want to play and let these yahoos suffer.  Hell I've done that... it is rather hard for me to stomach at first, but after a few holes when it's clear who's having fun and who's suffering, well the ego is soothed.

No, the question is more with people you know, one way or the other....

For example that famous/infamous round at Callippe Preserve, if I would have pushed to play tips and all others joined me, would you have comfortably stayed at middle tees?  You have to have SOME ego....

;)

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 11:01:51 AM »

The question isn't really about total strangers.  Heck in your AZ situation I too would have played where I want to play and let these yahoos suffer.  Hell I've done that... it is rather hard for me to stomach at first, but after a few holes when it's clear who's having fun and who's suffering, well the ego is soothed.

No, the question is more with people you know, one way or the other....

For example that famous/infamous round at Callippe Preserve, if I would have pushed to play tips and all others joined me, would you have comfortably stayed at middle tees?  You have to have SOME ego....

;)

Huck, if those tips are 6800 or more I won't play em, even with you!   ;)...just too damn long for me...I'd be wearing out my fw woods and hybrid if I did, which is no fun
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 11:06:30 AM »
Paul - well... in general I'm with you, as I say.  I have no need to wear out my hybrids either.  BUT... when faced with the shit-giving situation... especially if you are as good or better handicap-wise as the others present... it takes a strength of character to stick to one's guns and deflect shit all day.

;D

Brian Noser

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 11:32:37 AM »
I normally play the back tees where ever I play unless I am playing with a certain group then it is usually the middle. If it is for fun. if it is a little more serious they make me play the back while they play up to kind of even the field a little. I dont mind playing from the up tees it means I can score a little better which is always fun.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 11:34:39 AM »
Brian - the tee choices at Bandon will be interesting.  

Expect some lobbying to move up from us old guys.

;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 11:37:55 AM »
As long as I get my properly allocated shots (hdcp strokes), I could care less.  Having said that, it's not a lot of fun playing behind where you ought to play.  I'm just referring to a game where I'm the shortest off the tee of a group.  In that case I'm going to play where the group plays but be properly handicapped.

Brian Noser

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 11:47:38 AM »
I understand that there will be some of that "lobbying" at Bandon Mr. Huck. But I am sure your ego will take over ;D

rjsimper

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 12:02:19 PM »
I propose we tee off from the tips on every hole with the exception of #1 at PD.

Brian Noser

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 12:06:35 PM »
I guess I will find out why that is in about a month....  ;)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 12:39:59 PM »
Doug,

I started a thread on a similar subject a couple of years ago and the concensus seemed to be that good manners and tradition dictate everyone plays from the set of tees picked, in order of priority, by: a) the host, b) the shortest player specially if age is a factor, and c) the majority.

Personally, I prefer that everyone hit from where they are comfortable provided that it doesn't sacrifice safety as well as the speed, continuity, and spirit of the round.  I've played in groups using three different sets of tees with no problems.

I also generally prefer playing the back tees so long as the course is under 7200 yards at sea level with some roll.  In neutral conditions, my drives probably carry 225-230 yards, so I am now a medium-short hitter.  From this distance I get to use all the clubs in my bag and I get to see the whole course.  When I can't reach the longish par 4s in regulation with a solid drive, I'll know that it's time to move up.    

Cassandra Burns

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 03:37:37 PM »
I always start by looking for 5800 yards, if I have my druthers.  I'll move up to join a single or the rest of the group, but I won't move back if it would take me out of my game.  Par 4s much over 400 yards are out of my reach.  

Cassandra Burns

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 03:39:27 PM »
I also generally prefer playing the back tees so long as the course is under 7200 yards at sea level with some roll.  In neutral conditions, my drives probably carry 225-230 yards, so I am now a medium-short hitter.  From this distance I get to use all the clubs in my bag and I get to see the whole course.  When I can't reach the longish par 4s in regulation with a solid drive, I'll know that it's time to move up.    

Lou, I think 200 yards is still pretty much the average for the typical male golfer.  That means your 225-230 yard drives put you in the medium-long category!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 03:47:32 PM »
Brian/Ryan:

Damn do I regret my posts in this thread... because Brian has me nailed.  If I can't convince you to move up, it's pretty damn easy to get me to move back.

I'm hoping my Santa Clara elders have stronger wills... but I'm also guessing I may be alone in my desire to move up.  Maybe Hendren will get on board with me.

;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 03:48:17 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Brian Noser

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 03:50:53 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D... I knew it. ROTC 4 life

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 03:57:44 PM »
 Maybe Hendren will get on board with me.

Like George and Weezy, I'm moving on up!

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Lou_Duran

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 03:59:42 PM »
What is this about a Bandon trip?  The invitation must have come during the blackout following my move.

Cassandra,

I used to be much longer.  Within my handicap group and people I often play with, I am medium-short.  Just this Saturday I couldn't get within 30 yards of one guy, 20 of another, and usually 5-10 yards from the much straighter, sweet swingin'  Lynn Shackelford.  It does not make me a happy golfer, but such is life.  Regardless, I'd rather shoot an 86 from the back tees than a 78 form the middle set.  Maybe this is evidence of a secure ego.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 04:00:14 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Good man, Mr. Hendren!!!!

You can be George - I'll be JJ.

;D

Brian Noser

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 04:12:47 PM »
Oh man this is going to be great Huck and Hendren with huge afros and Mr. Benham with a red soul patch. They May not let our group Play.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 04:27:11 PM »
I played in a club tournament with an older guy who hit a low ball that didn't carry very far. It was a cold, windy day, and he was really struggling. We came to a long par 4 that played into the wind and had a forced carry of about 200 yards over very thick grass and bushes. I hit a crappy shot and went back to my bag fuming, not paying much attention to what my partner was doing. I heard a funny click and thought, "That's an odd sound for a driver."

I looked up to see my partner putting a wedge back in his bag.

He had hit his tee shot from the back tee to the ladies tee.

His next shot was 3-wood off the deck to the middle of the fairway, followed by a skanked rescue club to the green and a one-putt for bogey.

Never seen anything like it.

That was a man with zero pride.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 04:34:26 PM »
I recently was hosted at a club by a very nice fellow, and he and our other playing partner were both longer than I. Typically, I would have played from a forward set of tees, but I had not met either of these gentlemen before, and felt like I'd miss out on the companionship and cameraderie of a first meeting if I played a different set of tees. The course itself was not exceptionally long, and there were few forced carries I was unable to make. I had a great time, loved the course, and met a couple of good guys. My only hope is that I didn't slow them down too much. If I played the course again, I'd probably move up.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 04:36:16 PM by Kirk Gill »
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back