News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

Celebrity Agronomist
« on: January 10, 2007, 10:33:59 AM »
I just found out that Terry Buchen, who contributes here from time to time as schedule permits, will be featured in Southwest Airlines print ads and a feature in their in flight magazine.

Based in Williamsburg, Virginia, I know he uses Southwest frequently for cost and convenience reasons on his near non-stop travels, and apparently, they have decided to feature a variety of their frequent fliers and thought he made a good story.

Agronomists have not generally achieved the level of celebrity of golf architects, but if there is a celebrity in the field, Terry would be one of the two or three top ones.  I am pleasantly surprised to see it extend outside the golf industry.

Anyway, just thought I would share, especially for those of you who fly Southwest Airlines, or see their ads on the east coast and in CA.  I don't think he will be featured in Texas or Chicago ads.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

RJ_Daley

Re:Celebrity Agronomist
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 12:58:00 AM »
That is nice... I wish Terry and our other more frequent turfhead flyers on GCA would chime in more often with an informative post telling us things we should learn about their work.

So, now we have the celebrity archie with Nuzzo featured in the automobile ad, and Terry flying Southwest...cool.  Jeff, you'd look good doing a pro-mo for Bauer hockey skates. ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 08:03:52 AM »
Terry Buchen contributes on this site occasionally?

I didn't know that. Cool.

Terry was once considered to be one of what was termed the "three killer "Bs". Do you know who the other two are?

However, it seems the Three Killer Bees have somewhat changed their approach to consulting in recent years and so thankfully that term seems not to apply or be used much anymore.

But yes, I think first class agronomists and superintendents are about to break through into that status of "celebrity" in golf. Here's a good example. I was talking to our highly interesting and progressive firm and fast guy and somewhat crazy superintendent friend Matt Burrows now of the New Haven CC recently.

Matt didn't tell me what he's making right now but he did say in his next round of contract negotiations he was thinking of asking those ultra-intelligent egg-heads around New Haven CC for a new contract of $2.68 million per year.

Matt said he wasn't all that sure if he would get that and that he was expecting the negotiations at worst to be of that ultra rapid "Chinese negotiation" variety. And I agreed with him on that and told him that at worst he should expect to make $1,390,000 annually in his new contract.

I then asked him what in the world he planned to do with all that money and he said for starters he planned to buy the entire product line of 2008 Harley Davidson motorcycles.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 10:01:50 AM »
Terry was once considered to be one of what was termed the "three killer "Bs". Do you know who the other two are?

Beethoven and Brahms?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 10:09:51 AM »
Dan:

No, the second was Bator and I can never remember the name of the third one no matter how hard I try.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 11:49:52 AM »
TE:  Maybe Billy Buchanan?  He was the agronomy consultant for the Tour back before Terry was.

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 12:28:30 PM »
TomD:

That's the guy, that's the third of the once upon a time infamous trio known as the Killer Bees. Obviously Buchanan sounds too damn much like Buchen to me to've been able to remember both.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 12:42:50 PM »
TEPaul,

Are you implying that a visit from one of these three led the super to lose his/job?  Or something else?

Before independent consultants were common (although the USGA green section reps have been going a long time, and have had the same perception problems) I think a superintendent who heard that the club was hiring Terry or whoever was more nervous than now.  So, maybe their perceptions have changed as the business has matured as much as the agronomists have changed their tactics. (Or both)

In any case, being a consulting agronomist is tough. I don't know any who haven't been accused of costing someone their job.  They aren't called in often if things are going great.  And there is always pressure on a consultant to find something they can do better.  Often, they bring ideas from higher end clubs, or have more credibility than the guy on the job, or at least can back him up in his requests on the needs for more money, equipment, etc.

They do respect supers, but I do know that some clubs are probably already thinking of replacing their super anyway, and use the laundry list of recommendations to finalize the deal in some cases.  I think its a fairly low percentage, but as always, could be wrong.

And, from time to time, there are supers who, like gca's, are wrong for the job they are in, even if talented and are good in other situations.

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 12:46:55 PM »
"TEPaul,
Are you implying that a visit from one of these three led the super to lose his/job?  Or something else?"

JeffB:

On some serious reflection I believe I will say I was implying precisely nothing. I just think it's a pretty cute term. I'm so dumb I think I'd heard about the "Killer Bees" for about five years before it finally occured to me that all of their names begin with the letter "B".
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:49:16 PM by TEPaul »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 01:04:19 PM »
I suspect that name got started back when the Dophins defense had the same name, because most of their starters had names starting with B.  Or maybe it came from the famous Beatles song, "Letter B." ;)

Anyway, a good chance to discuss yet another aspect of the golf business.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 07:26:51 PM »
Jeff:

Agreed on all your points about the fine line which agronomy consultants must walk -- although that is maybe the first time anyone has even implied that Dick Bator would walk a fine line.  :)

I believe you are correct that the "killer" nickname referred to their potential to get a superintendent fired; I knew an architect once who had the same reputation.  But didn't the "Killer Bees" name get popularized by the skit from the original years of Saturday Night Live, and then transfer over to the Dolphins?

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Touchy subject...I know one guy who doesn't send any of the killer Bs a Xmas card.

On a different note, when an agronomist does...assist in hiring a new supt, do they ever recommend someone who isn't a client?

My experience is hiring the right consultant is a career development tool.  

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 11:11:14 PM »
"although that is maybe the first time anyone has even implied that Dick Bator would walk a fine line."   ;D

TomD:

All I know is Dick never talked a particularly fine line.

We had him over from Merion one time to talk to our Green Committee about regrassing our fairways to bent.

Dick gave us a good and informative pitch on the subject. Towards the end somebody asked him if he thought rye might be a good alternative.

Dick's face got noticeable red and he virtually bellowed--"That "f....ing piece of shit grass...." and then he happened to notice a woman on the committee sitting behind him and he said; "Whooops, sorry maam, I didn't know there was a lady in the room but that rye grass really is a piece of shit"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back