News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Taylor

Ocean Course
« on: January 09, 2007, 09:20:17 AM »
Travelled to Kiawah last week. Had the place to ourselves. Walked the Ocean Course and took some photos.

The place was deserted. Notice the dirt piled along the shore. Much land was lost and they had to dredge soil to restore the shore line. Work is not complete yet.

A view from the 1st tee.

Behind the first green.

Sand on the left. A theme repeated throughout the course.

The fabled 17th. My second attempted was a magnificient shot. I still posted triple.

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:Ocean Course
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 09:47:25 AM »
Lovely photos.  How much is the sea visible as you go round the course.  What sort of green fees are required?

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 09:51:50 AM »
Check my facts but the course was designed to sit away from the ocean. Tons of material were brought in to serve as a barrier from the ocean. They are still losing ground due to normal weather. You can see the ocean from the high points from 14 to 18 with the 18th green providing the best view.
I purchased a vacation pakage that included lodging and food, so I am unsure of the exact cost to play the course. I would guess in the $250 range.
It sure was fun though.
JT

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 10:00:57 AM »
Jeff: I believe it is 14 that is the other par 3 on the back and is one of my favorite par 3s.  Did you take any photos of it?

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 10:10:33 AM »
I have a picture of my golfing partner in followthrough position on the 14th tee. It doesn't do the hole justice. BTW, he fell into that back and forth craziness that the 14th is famous for. I punched a 5 iron into the wind that ended halfway down the hill in front of the green. Putted up to 10 feet and made par. I ran to the next tee. My partner made 8.
I thought the hole was fun. He thought otherwise.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 10:11:35 AM »
When I played there a couple Christmases ago I believe it was around US$190 per round with a rather substantial fee of over US$100 for a second round the same day (which I did not do). That fee includes your choice of cart (paths only) or caddie. So I played two days in a row with a caddie both days and the total including a caddie gratuity and lunch at the turn each day was in the US$500-odd range at winter rates. In high season it would have been more and I suspect they may have had an increase since then.

In US high-end golf resort terms it's just about the same price range as Spyglass Hill but substantially less than Pebble Beach. As Lowcountry SC beach destinations go, Kiawah is nicer than just about any of the others but then I like a laidback feel and gorgeous natural surroundings much more than "entertainment" options other than golf.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 10:18:09 AM »
I have a picture of my golfing partner in followthrough position on the 14th tee. It doesn't do the hole justice. BTW, he fell into that back and forth craziness that the 14th is famous for. I punched a 5 iron into the wind that ended halfway down the hill in front of the green. Putted up to 10 feet and made par. I ran to the next tee. My partner made 8.
I thought the hole was fun. He thought otherwise.

Jeff,

Great thread, thanks for the memories. My first day I hit a full-out 5-iron into a crosswind on fourteen. The flag was up front and the caddie was saying "In the Hole!" but it actually hit on the front fringe and stopped dead. Something about a 38-degree soaking rain all morning that takes some of the bounce out of those greens. Only had 20-odd feet to the hole but ran the chip several feet past and lipped out the par putt. Second day, no rain and only a slight breeze (still quite cold though). Tried a choked-down 5-iron which I cold topped and left halfway to the green. Pitched onto the middle of the green and two-putted for another bogey. Ho-hum  :-[

Unless the flag is tucked behind the contours on the back (hmmm, is it back left or back right that's the brutal placement) that spot on the front fringe or even just short of the green is a fine spot indeed of double-digit handicappers to put their tee shot. Long or left or right can all lead to big numbers if your short game isn't up to snuff.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 10:19:46 AM »
I agre with your comments about ambience. We cooked dinner at the villa most nights and the whole excperience was relaxing. It didn't even occur to me that therer was no night life. There is a peaceful feeling about the place.
I will go again.
The only sad part about the trip was that we were scheduled to play Yeamans Hall onThursday. It rained all night Wednesday and was still raining in Charleston at 11:30 AM Thursday. So we went to Osprey Point and never felt a drop of rain.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 10:37:10 AM »
In my view 14 is a great hole.  It is at an angle where it is usually subject to a cross wind which is very challenging.  The pin sits there atop the green with the horizon as its backdrop - beautiful and simple yet daunting - great.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 11:05:08 AM »
I tend to think of the pin on 14 as a big middle finger pointing right at you.

James Edwards

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 11:18:10 AM »
I visited there in August 2002, when Pete Dye was making some changes to the 3rd... and i remember thinking on that visit how good the 13th and 14th golf holes were... the drive particularly at 13, and then the exposed elevated short 14th///...

...also because the golf course was closed, a wacky guy in his own cart loaded with research tools and distance markers, paints and art brushes was making a note of the course for his up and coming stroke saver... does anyone know him?? id love to track him down... he was overweight and balding and eccentric beyond belief...

Also, if Mike is around, maybe he can enlighten us on the 17th green and how it has changed??
@EDI__ADI

Greg Tallman

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 11:54:56 AM »
The Ocean Course is a bit more pricey than noted above. I believe their rack rate is in the $325-$350 range... and in the grand scheme of things worth it.

Great track, probably the most challenging I have ever played... Not bad for "the other Ocean Course"  ;)

Doug Wright

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 12:41:01 PM »
In my view 14 is a great hole.  It is at an angle where it is usually subject to a cross wind which is very challenging.  The pin sits there atop the green with the horizon as its backdrop - beautiful and simple yet daunting - great.

Here's a link to another thread on Kiawah Ocean that has a photo of 14. I really liked that hole--very difficult into the wind as it was the day I played it. I enjoyed the Ocean Course. Pricy but worth a visit.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=25220;start=msg468967#msg468967
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 07:50:05 PM »
I have experienced the crosswind on the 14th both times I played it. I am sure it is coincidence.
Pricey or not, the feeling of shaking my good friend's hand while walking down the 2nd fairway (with nobody around) will always stick with me.
Glad I went, glad I paid.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 08:03:11 PM »
The 14th. Sorry but it's all I have.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 10:55:43 PM »
Thanks for the pictures!

I'm making my first ever charleston trip in early April to visit extended family that has moved to the area...hope to get out there and play!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 10:08:03 AM »
Rates on The Ocean Course are:

Now (Winter)--
$230 walking up to the counter.  $196 if staying in resort accommodations.
March 2-May 31 and August 31-November 29 (Spring/Fall)--
$320 walking up to the counter.  $240 if staying in resort accommodations.
June 1-August 30 (summer)--
$239 walking up to the counter.  $203 if staying in resort accommodations.  (After 2pm - $221 and $187)
November 30-February 28, 2008 (Winter)
$242 walking up to the counter.  $205 if staying in resort accommodations.

It's walking only on all tee times before noon.  You can carry your own or take a caddie (suggested tip is $65+ per bag).

The only change to No. 17 was lessoning the spine that bisected the green (coming off the back bunker) making it an easier green to putt but making the shot into a back pin placement much harder...

No. 14 from a different angle...

Make sure to tune into NBC May 25 and 26 and watch the Senior PGA Championship in The Ocean Course... 8)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 04:25:09 PM by Mike Vegis @ Kiawah »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back