News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Cenci

North Carolina - Sand Hills Golf
« on: January 05, 2007, 06:08:14 PM »
Fellow GCA'r Dave Neveux and I are taking our third annual trip to the North Carolina (possibly South Carolina) area in early March.  We have a few courses we're playing for sure (just based on cost and past experience).  

We're going to start with Tanglewood Park.  In the mix we'll play 36 at Tobacco Road and probably play Southern Pines as well.  But for the other 3 or 4 days what do you guys recommend?  Keep in mind cost is a bit of an issue.  We've played Pine Needles and Mid Pines so we're not really looking to get back there.

Of the following, which are best for the price:
*Anderson Creek
*The Carolina
*Carolina Trace
*Foxfire Resort & Golf
*Legacy Golf Links
*Little River Golf Resort
*National Golf Club
*Pit Golf Links
*Seven Lakes
*Talamore
*Tot Hill Farm
*Whispering Pines
*Woodlake
*Beacon Ridge
*Hyland Hills
*The Preserve
*Whispering Woods
*Pinewild
*UNC-Finley
*Bayonet
*Mid South
*Deercroft Golf & CC
*Carolina Lakes
*Quail Ridge

Any info. on what to play / not to play would be appreciated.

-Brian

Dan Herrmann

Re:North Carolina - Sand Hills Golf
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 06:18:46 PM »
I really didn't like The Carolinia (Palmer).  I was bored there.

rjsimper

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 06:24:49 PM »
Of experiences both of my own and of trusted friends, I would say the following (over-simplifying on purpose):

Carolina - Nay
Legacy - Yea
National - Abstain, if but for the price which makes it nay
Pit - Yay
Talamore - Nay
Tot Hill - Nay (unless you want something truly weird, then yay...but it's far)
Woodlake (Maples) - Yay
Hyland Hills - Yay
Pinewild - Nay
Duke - Yay
Mid-South - Unenthusiastic Yay

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 07:13:52 PM »
Check out the photo tours at this link to give you a small idea of what some of the course you listed can offer.

http://golfholes.com/

Of the course that I've played in the area...

*The Carolina - I played it in the winter for dirt cheap. It's got some fun holes. Not a must play but it makes for a fun day.

*Tot Hill Farm - Very unorthodox, but I loved it and the price is definitely right. If you love Tobacco Road you should give it a try, despite the longish drive. A unique experience, even if you decide it isn't for you in the end.

*The Preserve - Lots of forced carries but some good fun if you're up for a challenge. Many memorable holes of merit. Longish drive.

*UNC-Finley - A fun track but an extra-long haul from Pinehurst and contains some indifferent holes

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 07:59:29 PM »
Brian -- Did you have the Tobacco Road travel book sitting in front of you??  ;D

Carolina, Duke (you didn't list this one), Legacy (it's ok).

Also, IM if you need some lodging. My parents have a condo off of #5.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 08:02:42 PM »
Tony,
     Yea...I did get a "Sandhills Golf" brochure sent to me (I think from Tobacco Rd. last year).  We were going back anyways but the book is enticing.

-Brian

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 09:52:09 PM »
Tot Hill Farm is dirt cheap and a real different golfing experience, I think everyone should play it at least once.

Actually, everything that Strantz did should be played.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

michael j fay

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 09:59:13 PM »
Southern Pines CC at $ 28.00 including the cart will give you a very enjoyable day. No to the Carolina, yes to both Woodlake and Whispering Woods (Maples). Whispering Pines is decent. Tobacco Road ahs a good winter rate and is worthy. Tot Hill Farms is a good hour away. National is a good strong layout with very silly greens, if you only play it once you willl not have a very good time. Legacy is OK but nothing really special. Mid-South is overrated and not much better than the Carolina IMHO. The Pit is different and difficult but sporty. I did not care for Little River Farms. The Foxfire courses are well kept but a little goofy.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 10:05:18 PM »
Duke and UNC are over an hour away, and neither is worth a special trip from Greensboro or from the Sand Hills.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Andy Hughes

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 10:20:54 PM »
I tend to get slapped around when I admit to this, but I like the Pit.  A hole or two teeter just on the edge of silly (maybe the wrong side?), but the place has a nice feel and some nice holes.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Greg Holland

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 10:58:02 PM »
Tot Hill Farm will be pretty much on your way if you play Tanglewood in the Triad (you go down 220 to So. Pines, and Tot Hill is on the way).  It is my least favorite Strantz, but worth a see.  Old North State is private, but a pretty good Fazio (with 4-5 really good holes) near Tot Hill (but opposite direction from Pinehurst).  There are several good courses in Greensboro too -- publics include Bryan Park Champions is a good Rees Jones (do have to tolerate the Rees Pieces), Oak Hollow is a very good Dye course (both for around $30) and Greensboro National is a good course as well (around $50 - so all are pretty reasonable).  Grandover Resort has two good courses by Graham & Panks (I like the East course best) in the $70 range.  The private courses are quite good in Greensboro as well (Greensboro CC has 2 (Ross & Maples), Sedgefield is a very good Ross but closed for restoration now, as is the Cardinal (Dye & Coore), Starmount Forest and Forest Oaks).  

Pine Needles after the renovation is worth a look too.  I've never played Anderson Creek but I've heard it is fun (DLIII).

Steve Lang

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 12:26:02 AM »
 8)

Have played there since 1980.. we did 25 straight years in spring time weather with some excusions into NC/SC hills, TN, & KY and never made it to Myrtle beach..

Bottom Line
If you get golf package at Fairway Motel.. (say hi to Jay & Judy if they're still there)... spartan accomodations as i remember, but pool/sauna was fun..  Over the years, with most all packages you only pay for cart on 2nd 18.  Get first tee time of day 7:30-8:30 and 2nd between12:30-1:30 to make sure you get it in.. make your own lunches from grocery store buying and do cooler thing.. Play skins for choice of eatery.. have you done John's BBQ?

Southern Pines.. Dbest for price..played every year except when they had some major work going on there ..almost always first rounds.. great opening hole.. don't get above the cup..

$0.02 INputs:

*Anderson Creek .. good if you hit it like DLIII up/down long slopes.. too far from SoPines/Aberdeen to make 36 real comfortable day outing if you have limited time there,pass

*The Carolina.. played often in last 10 years.. generic holes draped across sandhills.. you'd swear you've played holes before (in area) due to familiar topography/slopes.. great fun with big driver

*Carolina Trace.. Use to play there.. owned by several different operators??  Conditioning poor last time

*Foxfire Resort & Golf.. first years.. never went back, easy to make loops and play till you drop... blurrr

*Legacy Golf Links.. several times..nay to hype

*Little River Golf Resort..  some nice stretches, challenges, no great continuous gca, good fun quotient on many holes

*National Golf Club.. several times..nay

*Pit Golf Links.. many times.. often well conditioned.. some goofyness wasily overlooked

*Seven Lakes.. many times in 80's, not seen in a while

*Talamore.. nice condos,.. stayed there many years.. used to think it was tricked up gca.. too demanding when you want to have fun.. no heater on pool.. seems too expensive.. nice condos though

*Tot Hill Farm.. done it once, played back nine first.. as mentioned everyone should play it once.. I'll play again if travelling by, enroute to Southern Pines

*Whispering Pines..  seems like we used to play 45-54 blurred holes there in 80's due to price.. not been back in ages.. too much CC atmosphere when we played there

*Woodlake (Maples).. always a favorite track.. had lost some of its conditioning last time there ~2003

*Beacon Ridge.. been there, done that ... blurrr from 80's

*Hyland Hills.. First course played in Sandhills.. still fun, unpretentious, good match play course

*The Preserve.. no comment

*Whispering Woods.. no comment

*Pinewild.. played several times, left tired, wanting

*UNC-Finley.. one not played

*Bayonet.. Enjoyed this one, atypical grass collection makes for interesting adventures.. remember trees encroaching a bit like some familiar Ohio courses.. need to go back

*Mid South.. been there, done that ... more enjoyment elsewhere

*Deercroft Golf & CC.. when it first opened was great, worth the extra ride time to Laurinburg.. fell on some hard times, heard it had made a comeback, hosting some tourneys, new owners, etc.  perhaps not unlike The Carolina but older

*Carolina Lakes  .. used to be a regular stop for some reason.. convenient.. generic

*Quail Ridge.. played many times.. not real differentiated from others in area these days  

play, have fun
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

David Neveux

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 01:32:13 AM »
Steve some very real and excellent advice.  Thanks to all.  Per standard usual I'm trying to fit in another spring break golf trip on my college budget.  We hope to have two others with us, if not I will try and have Cenci comp me out on the duece!!!!!!!  Graduate in May...long overdue....one more trip is a must do.  Thanks again to all.

Steve Lang

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 11:24:49 AM »

Southern Pines-Elks (are there two separate Souther Pines?)

one-in-the-same

we also used to play another 9 holes there, first tee about about a lob wedge down the street from the "lower" parking lot.. but it fell into disrepair.. often thought it might have been a Ross experimental construction techniques course..  you can see parts of it from several holes
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 01:38:47 PM »
Southern Pines.. Dbest for price..played every year except when they had some major work going on there ..almost always first rounds.. great opening hole.. don't get above the cup..

One of the members there loves to play with the hickories.  You might be able to get a game.  ;)

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 08:23:01 PM »
I will be in NC this March/April and plan to play

Tobacco Road
Bald Head Island

Considering

Keith Hills (can anybody tell me about Keith Hills.  Is it worth a go and if so, which course?)
Wildwood Green
UNC Finley

Any other courses close to Raleigh that are worth considering?

Ciao

Sean,

I recommend "The Heritage," on the north side of Raleigh in the Wake Forest area (designed by Bob Moore of JMP Design).
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Bryce Mueller

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 09:26:10 PM »
bryan park champions is the best public layout for your money in the state... its awesome.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 08:34:49 PM »
I will be in NC this March/April and plan to play

Tobacco Road
Bald Head Island

Considering

Keith Hills (can anybody tell me about Keith Hills.  Is it worth a go and if so, which course?)
Wildwood Green
UNC Finley

Any other courses close to Raleigh that are worth considering?

Ciao

Sean,

I recommend "The Heritage," on the north side of Raleigh in the Wake Forest area (designed by Bob Moore of JMP Design).

I played the Heritage last year....wasn't that impressed with it.  Prety bland. Nice residential type course.  From everyting I've heard that Bryans Park is the cream of the crop.

-Brian

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back