News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Joines

Puerto Rico question...
« on: December 26, 2006, 02:53:36 PM »
My family will be spending a week in Puerto Rico this month and I've been trying to get some golf plans set. My research on this site hasn't come up with any "must-plays" on the island.

If anyone has played in PR, I'd love to hear some thoughts about some of the courses (Where to play or where NOT to play).

We are staying at the Westin Rio Mar Beach. There are two courses at the resort; Fazio and Norman designs. But at $165 a pop, we'd like to find some other options as well. Is El Conquistador worth a trip? It's supposed to be on a pretty wild piece of property.

Any suggestions or info is much appreciated.

Thanks

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Re:Puerto Rico question...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 03:04:55 PM »
Brian,

Unless changes have been made, skip the Norman course. The George Fazio design is not bad. If I remember correctly, El Conquistador is ridiculously hilly.

About three years ago I spent time on a 36-hole project that Westin was building with Tom Kite in on the design. Did those ever open?

Anthony

Jim Dawson

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 03:17:29 PM »
Brian,
I have been going to PR for about 20 years and the golf is underwhelming.
The Westin is a great resort, weather is wet and HUMID. You are only about 3 miles from a rain forest.
The Fazio course is not bad.
The El Conquistidor is a fun course to play.
If you drive to the other side of the island, about 2 hours, there is an old Air Force base in Aquadilla. Course is rough, but views are similiar to good. In Ponce there is a Hilton that has 27 holes, not bad, but typical Florida golf.
If your primary reason is golf, PR is not the place to go. If you want great weather and beaches, PR is your ticket.
Feel free to drop me a message and I can give you more details.
Thanks,
JD

Brian Joines

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 03:19:59 PM »
Anthony,

Coco Beach Golf and Country Club has 36 holes designed by Tom Kite. Perhaps this is the same project you're talking about and the Westin got out if it or something??

http://cocobeachgolf.com/

Also, El Conquistador has a 200 ft elevation change from start to finish. It must be pretty hilly.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 03:24:32 PM »
Brian,

That is the project. Initially the people that ran the Westin were involved with the design-build. I have no idea what happend or how the courses turned out.

Anthony

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 05:14:06 PM »
Brian Jones,

Dorado Beach had two 18 hole courses that evolved by taking holes from the original 18.

Dorado Beach closed the hotel recently for a reconstruction project, but, it's my understanding that the golf courses may be open.

If so, I'd look into playing both of them.
I don't think you'll regret the decision, architecturally.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 05:34:51 PM »
Brian Jones,

Dorado Beach had two 18 hole courses that evolved by taking holes from the original 18.

Dorado Beach closed the hotel recently for a reconstruction project, but, it's my understanding that the golf courses may be open.

If so, I'd look into playing both of them.
I don't think you'll regret the decision, architecturally.

It has been many years since I have been to PR, but I agree with Pat, both Dorado Beach course were worth playing.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 02:26:33 AM »
I just played in a pro-am at El Conquistador and Coco Beach.  The earlier posts are spot on to an extent--El Con is Art Hills with the worst par4 I've ever played--#13!  Coco Beach is alright, but somewhat bland.  Rio Mar Norman is very good if it is somehow dry--dry is a potential rarity--the rainforrest drains onto the course.   If you are not locked into this resort---by any means make it to Casa de Campo--ToD is as good as Pebble!

Scott Stearns

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 09:21:08 AM »
i liked DB a lot better than conquistador, but DB can be a long way from the other resorts

play the closest course to your accomodations.  none are good enough to spend an hr in a car to get to.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 09:54:08 AM »
good advice, play where you are staying and save the driving challenges. work on the rate with the Pro shop!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

David Wigler

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 11:13:58 AM »
Brian,

I do not have a lot more to add.  Golf is Puerto Rico is fun but the conditions are atrocious and the courses somewhat bizarre.  I agree with everyone re. the Norman course are Rio Mar (The resort is very nice though).  The Fazio course is fun and worth playing but not even Huckaby would call it a top 100.  The Hills course is at El Conquistador is a train wreck (Turn your head if shots at Hills offend you).  This was built in the period where Hills struggled on great sites and this site is severe, confusing, restricted and potentially unsuitable for a golf course, so you can imagine the result.  Dorado and Cerromar are both nice courses and I would recommend playing but none of the four will knock your socks off.  Gary Player did a course at Palmas Del Mar that was fun to play as well (Although not a world beater).  Rees Jones added a course there a few years back (I think) but I have not played it.  

I think that covers my trip advice (Other than the resort at the El Conquistador is one of the nicest in the hemisphere) and enjoy yourself.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Brian Joines

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 02:22:47 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! It should make the planning much easier.

Robert,

Is a side-trip to Casa de Campo feasible? Can you hop on a cheap flight and make a day or two trip worth it? This seems like it could be a good idea if the price is right.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 02:23:26 PM by Brian Joines »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 02:39:09 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! It should make the planning much easier.

Robert,

Is a side-trip to Casa de Campo feasible? Can you hop on a cheap flight and make a day or two trip worth it? This seems like it could be a good idea if the price is right.

You would want to make that a 2 day trip and play Teeth of the Dog and Dye Fore, both very worth playing.

I hear that Dye's new course should be open or about to open.

Anyone have any info on that?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back