News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Pennell

Where are you playing 2007?
« on: December 19, 2006, 01:02:43 PM »
I've spent a bit of time thinking about the courses I've played this year and trying to put together a rough list of where I want to play next year, given the financial restrictions of an impending wedding :)

The things that stood out this year were the first-time courses that I instantly fell for - New Zealand, Royal Ashdown Forest, Deal, Rye, The Addington, Pennard - and the experience of getting a lot more out of certain courses when returning for a second or third time - Coombe Hill I enjoyed so much more this time, Sunningdale New as well. It was also obvious how beneficial sitting down a day or two after playing and thinking about the course was when it came to later recollection of the individual holes. New Year's resolution: make time for a post-round drink where possible ;)

I came up with about 20 that I desperately wanted to revisit and narrowed the first-time ones down to 10 (not easily done!) Here they are:

First timers
West Sussex, St George's Hill, Royal Worlington, Berkshire (Blue), Royal West Norfolk, Woodhall Spa, Notts (Hollinwell), Royal Porthcawl, Southerndown, Beau Desert.

Revisits
Coombe Hill, Swinley Forest, New Zealand, Royal Ashdown Forest, Tandridge, Royal St George's, Royal Cinque Ports, Rye, Pennard, Wenvoe Castle (Braid course, site of a youth misspent), Temple, The Addington, Woking, Worplesdon, West Hill, Royal Wimbledon, Walton Heath Old & New, Hankley Common, Liphook.

Where are you going?
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

cary lichtenstein

Re:Where are you playing 2007?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 01:27:43 PM »
I've covered just about the entire US and Canada with the exception of the Toronto area, which I understand has a wealth of fine courses...so 10-14 days in Toronto is one definite trip this summer.

Back to Snowmass/Aspen as my wife loves that part of the country and most probably we'll spend some time in the North Carolina Mountains.

We'll go to Wisc to Erin Hills and Kohler, then to Chicago

We missed several courses in the Boston area due to the rain, so we might go back there.

Other areas maybe Utah, Northern Nevada, Maine and Vermont.

There are a number of courses I'd like to revisit and play a few times, but my wife is pressuring me to cut the travel down and stay in one place and I think I'm getting ready to give in.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 05:02:33 PM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 03:15:15 PM »
I promise I'm not making this up.

Scotland in March and then my wife wants to take an extended family trip to Ireland for Easter.  On the net she finds a large house in County Clare that takes dogs, and reads me some details.  "It's on a surfing beach and there's a Golf Course 5 miles away called Lahinch. Will that do?" 8)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 04:09:24 PM »
The anniversary trips begin in late January, and the first shall be to Kapalua.  We'll probably just play the Plantation Course a bunch of times - are the others there worth a break to mix things up?  My wife does not want to hop islands (though I'll continue to work on that), so we'll most likely stay on Maui and near the resort.

Hope to get to Bandon at some point in 2007, and will also probably finally play the American Club courses in Kohler (all four) and perhaps Erin Hills.  Shoreacres is another possibility.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 04:19:09 PM »
The anniversary trips begin in late January, and the first shall be to Kapalua.  We'll probably just play the Plantation Course a bunch of times - are the others there worth a break to mix things up?

Brian: Short answer, no, unless you want the weird pleasure of being one of the last to play the soon-to-be-NLE Village Course. Stick with the Plantation, you're not missing much at the Bay....

But make sure you get out crack of dawn one day and drive the Road to Hana....it's one of the best day trips I've ever experienced.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 04:23:32 PM »
Plans always get changed, but with relocating from South Bend to Albuquerque and switching halves of the country, I should have a large amount of possibilities. I'd like to revisit Paa-Ko and Black Mesa as the easy ones, and hopefully explore courses in Arizona and Colorado as well as New Mexico obviously. Lots of options to choose from in those locales, I'm hoping to see some of the Engh courses in Colorado for one. Suggestions are welcome via IM so as not to hijack the thread.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 04:34:08 PM by Andy Troeger »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 04:38:20 PM »
Let's see...Giants Ridge (both Brauer courses), Black Mesa again!!!,   (woo hoo!), cuscowilla and reynolds, atlantic city, old white, PGA Golf Club (Dye Course), lederach, colorado (incl. Harmony Club!), whiskey creek, bulls bay again! woo hoo hoo!)  and maybe Utah...and a couple private gems along the way :o :D

Gems, I say!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 04:40:18 PM by Jay Flemma »

Jfaspen

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 05:03:36 PM »
Wherever KP goes, Oakland Hills (North and South), World Woods (both courses), Hopefully the dixie cup courses, revisit to Arcadia Bluffs, Hopefully Greywalls, Angels Crossing, Hopefully Bulls Bay.

If I can make 2/3 of the above happen, it'll be a helluva year.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 05:07:06 PM »
I've spent a bit of time thinking about the courses I've played this year and trying to put together a rough list of where I want to play next year, given the financial restrictions of an impending wedding :)

The things that stood out this year were the first-time courses that I instantly fell for - New Zealand, Royal Ashdown Forest, Deal, Rye, The Addington, Pennard - and the experience of getting a lot more out of certain courses when returning for a second or third time - Coombe Hill I enjoyed so much more this time, Sunningdale New as well. It was also obvious how beneficial sitting down a day or two after playing and thinking about the course was when it came to later recollection of the individual holes. New Year's resolution: make time for a post-round drink where possible ;)

I came up with about 20 that I desperately wanted to revisit and narrowed the first-time ones down to 10 (not easily done!) Here they are:

First timers
West Sussex, St George's Hill, Royal Worlington, Berkshire (Blue), Royal West Norfolk, Woodhall Spa, Notts (Hollinwell), Royal Porthcawl, Southerndown, Beau Desert.

Revisits
Coombe Hill, Swinley Forest, New Zealand, Royal Ashdown Forest, Tandridge, Royal St George's, Royal Cinque Ports, Rye, Pennard, Wenvoe Castle (Braid course, site of a youth misspent), Temple, The Addington, Woking, Worplesdon, West Hill, Royal Wimbledon, Walton Heath Old & New, Hankley Common, Liphook.

Where are you going?

Richard, Beau Desert was really terrific in October after the Hoylake caper.   ;D  A really good way to go is to spend the night at Beau Desert's lovely new dormy house.  They offer a package of 75 pounds to include green fee, accommodation and breakfast, a real bargain for a wonderful golf course with amazing greens.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 05:11:49 PM »

Scotland in March and then my wife wants to take an extended family trip to Ireland for Easter.  On the net she finds a large house in County Clare that takes dogs, and reads me some details.  "It's on a surfing beach and there's a Golf Course 5 miles away called Lahinch. Will that do?" 8)

What a wife! What a woman! We are all envious.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 05:38:49 PM »
Garland I am in deed a most fortuitous fellow.  Two years ago for a family weekend she found a house in Lincolnshire, with a swimming pool.  “Oh don't worry not all of Lincolnshire is flat this is on the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds and it's supposed to be lovely.  And with this house you get £10 off the local course in a village called Woodhall Spa".

This is the same woman who in discussing family holidays last year said “you know I’ve always fancied Scotland” (Dornoch/North Berwick) and the year before booked a house 400 yards from Golf de Biarritz le Phare.

I swear on my original copy of The Badminton Library ‘Golf’, not a word of this is made up. ;D ;D
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 05:56:32 PM »
Richard - I enjoyed our round at Deal despite the weather and am delighted it's down for a revisit. Shamefully West Sussex is on my list of not yet played I'm told May is a good time to go. Email me sometime and we'll see if we can hook up.

New courses for next year - Brancaster, Sheringham, Queenwood & Royal Worlington are planned. Hopefulls are Swinley, West Sussex, Royal Birkdale & Woking.

Revisits - Royal St Georges, Rye & Littlestone on reciprocals. Pennard any combination of Sunningdale, Berkshire and Walton Heath, RD, TOC and HCEG.
Cave Nil Vino

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 06:52:29 PM »
Sean - have you played Fortrose & Rosemarkie?  It's up by Dornoch more or less.  If you haven't, well... you should, as long as you have plans to head north.  It is great fun.

TH

Doug Bolls

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 07:18:34 PM »
I put together a trip for 8 this April that starts with TOC - Reverse...can't wait for that expereince.  Along with the usual well played Scotland courses, we are also including North Berwick, Cruden Bay, Montrose, Royal Aberdeen, Boat of Garten...and we'll see what else we find along the way.

Doug

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 07:34:57 PM »
We are not quite as busy next year as this, so I hope to have some more opportunities to play.

Of my own courses, I should get back to Pacific Dunes this spring as we further our planning work in Bandon; probably to St. Andrews Beach and Barnbougle toward the end of the year; and I look forward to playing my first rounds at Rock Creek and The Renaissance Club at Archerfield sometime in 2007 even though they won't open until 2008.

For research on Old Macdonald, I plan to play The Old Course at St. Andrews (forward and back), Prestwick, Lundin Links, and Brancaster, and hopefully a quick nine at Royal Worlington & Newmarket en route back to London.  I should play the two courses at Pronghorn while we are working on our new project in Bend, and maybe I'll finally take the time to go to Banff and Jasper en route there.  And I hope to get back to Yeamans Hall in the spring, too.

Throw in a handful of rounds at Crystal Downs and that sounds like a pretty good year.  

Andy Doyle

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 07:42:51 PM »

Garland I am in deed a most fortuitous fellow.  Two years ago for a family weekend she found a house in Lincolnshire, with a swimming pool.  “Oh don't worry not all of Lincolnshire is flat this is on the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds and it's supposed to be lovely.  And with this house you get £10 off the local course in a village called Woodhall Spa".

This is the same woman who in discussing family holidays last year said “you know I’ve always fancied Scotland” (Dornoch/North Berwick) and the year before booked a house 400 yards from Golf de Biarritz le Phare.

I swear on my original copy of The Badminton Library ‘Golf’, not a word of this is made up. ;D ;D

Between this and the "Best Courses I Played This Year First Time" thread, I'm really depressed.

This coming year I hope to manage the impossible - play more than 20 times and stay married.  Since ~75% of my rounds this past year came were played on three trips, I hope to play more around home in 2007.  I'd be happy with more rounds on Brown's Mill, Charlie Yates, Stone Mountain, Wolf Creek, Cherokee Run, The Frog, and Heritage.

I do hope to get a chance to play the new Creek Club at Reynold's Plantation as well as a second crack at Cuscowilla.

No notable golf trips planned, but this time next year I'll post my plans for my first trip to Scotland.

Andy

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 07:59:12 PM »
The only new thing set is Nantucket GC courtesy of Steve Curry. Hopefully I will finally get my kid logistics worked out and get to Berkshire Hills in June.

Paul_Lorenzen

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 08:07:52 PM »
Headed to Split Rock in the Bronx the first week after New Years, with Dyker Beach in Brooklyn as a back up in case of snow. End of January, the wife and I are headed to Port St. Lucie for a week and then to a friend’s in Clearwater for another week. I probably won’t remember any of the 8 -10 courses in those areas I will play, unless I can get up to Wild Woods.

In the first February thaw, we head up to Mohansic and wait in line to tee off even though the course is closed until April (you have to be a veteran NY muni player to understand the unspoken rules). Generally fast and firm is an understatement on Westchester County courses in February.  We got a modified Biarritz and several standout Skyline greens at Mohansic, but Tom Winton gets no respect….

Couple of trips planned to Long Island in March – hoping that Eisenhower Red, Spring Lake and Island’s End are open because each was designed by guys whose last names are easily misspelled which is an indication that they must be innovative and have architectural merit along with the fact that they visited the British Isles some time in the early 20th century and took notes because of the sandy soil similar to the Hempstead Plain.

Son graduates from Tulane in May, and I have resolved to finally play Audobon Park across the street.

April brings warm weather, baseball, and the uphill struggle to compete with the Nassau Players Club for a weekend tee time at BP Black. Do these guys have a T1 line directly into the call–in reservation system? I think we need a Warren Commission to investigate….

Merry Christmas all – peace and good golf to all in 2007.

Paul Jones

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 09:26:58 PM »
1st Trip to Ireland June 07:

Lahinch
Ballybunion
Euro Club
Portsmarnock
Royal County
Royal Portrush
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

mike_beene

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 09:43:25 PM »
Received a generous invitation to play CPC this spring(never played it before)Also Banff this summer for first time.Will do my almost annual trek to St Andrews at some point.

Steve Lang

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 10:08:55 PM »
 8)

Upper Midwest.. WI and perhaps the MN headwaters of the Brauer Trail..

Eastern CO.. look out Adam..

AL's RTJ and LA's Audubon Trails
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bill Gayne

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 10:47:19 PM »
On the books I have a trip to Pinehurst and two trips to Ireland. I'm hoping to extend one of the Ireland trips to add a couple of days at Machranish. Hopefully 2007 will have more golf than 2006

John Nixon

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 11:33:33 PM »
I still have a few of the top courses in central Indiana to play for the first time, let alone dream about playing elsewhere in the country.

For first-time visits I am planning on playing Purgatory, Rock Hollow, Prairie View and Trophy Club. I will also strive to finagle myself an invite to Crooked Stick and the new Dye/Liddy re-do of Woodland CC.

I haven't played The Fort for a few years, so that should be on my list as well.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2006, 12:47:39 AM »
Doing Bandon in March.

I have not played Trails yet and I'm planning for 36 there.  Anything to keep my eye out for from those who've already played Trails?

I also am looking forward to a trip to Chambers Bay after it opens.

Mostly just more golf in 2007!
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Jesse Jones

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 02:34:07 AM »

1. C&C at We-Ko-Pa
2. Bandon
3. Wherever KP is..
4. Chambers Bay
5. Wynn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back