News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Need one "wacko" for Atlantic City--Thur. at noon
« on: December 19, 2006, 09:39:25 AM »
 Anyone want to play Thursday? I convinced my buddy to allow me to add one of you "wackos" to the foursome. If no reply by 2 P.M.(Philly time) this offer will expire.
AKA Mayday

Jerry Kluger

Re:Need one "wacko" for Atlantic City--Thur. at noon
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 09:44:28 AM »
Make sure you get to Chef Volas for dinner.

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 09:45:40 AM »
 What kind of burgers do they serve?
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 10:40:16 AM »
 A Flynn original with a Doak redo is something worth seeing. Well , at least at winter rates it is.
AKA Mayday

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 10:50:00 AM »
A Flynn original with a Doak redo is something worth seeing.

I think Macdonald was on the Atlantic City Beach Patrol where he studied beach erosion and land forms and this lead to a trip to ..................  ;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 10:53:39 AM »

I think Macdonald was on the Atlantic City Beach Patrol where he studied beach erosion and land forms and this lead to a trip to ..................  ;)

I hear Whigham loved seeing burly Charley in his striped, one-piece swimwear.  

JESII

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 10:53:50 AM »
Sweeney,

If you had been really paying attention to the Merion thread you would realize that Wilson was on the beach while CBM was building Merion for him and in his name. It has been 90 years, but I think we have just about removed all traces of CBM's involvement from a Philadelphia treasure, thank goodness. Where do you think Wilson met Flynn?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 11:01:33 AM »
Mayday,

I wish I could make it, but I'm already taking next week off and hopefully I'll get down there then.

What's the winter rate?

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 11:07:13 AM »
 My friend setting it up said $79, but the website gives $100 as a minimum.
AKA Mayday

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 11:09:05 AM »
My friend setting it up said $79, but the website gives $100 as a minimum.

Mike

I'm betting everything's negotiable in Atlantic City.  ;)

T_MacWood

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 01:06:24 PM »
I have visions of the Philly contingent hanging the effigies of Macdonald, Whigham and Colt from the Boardwalk, stoning them with Finegan's latest tome before lighting them ablaze, urinating on them, all while singing 'Philadelphia Freedom'.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 01:38:07 PM »
I have visions of the Philly contingent hanging the effigies of Macdonald, Whigham and Colt from the Boardwalk, stoning them with Finegan's latest tome before lighting them ablaze, urinating on them, all while singing 'Philadelphia Freedom'.

Nah,

Colt gets a pass because the only course he tried to contaminate is one we simply adopt due to proximity and the fact that New Jersey has no idea what they have.  It's not a real Philly course.

On the other hand, wait til you see what we do with the effigy of J.B. McGovern!!!   :o :o :o   ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 03:11:54 PM »
"I have visions of the Philly contingent hanging the effigies of Macdonald, Whigham and Colt from the Boardwalk, stoning them with Finegan's latest tome before lighting them ablaze, urinating on them, all while singing 'Philadelphia Freedom'."

Listen here, MacWoodenhead, you hallucinating putz, we true-blue ultra manly Philadelphians would never think of singing "Philadelphia Freedom"!! It was written and recorded by a 4' 11" British homosexual who dresses like a Christmas tree. Plus his definition of "Freedom" ain't the same as our definition of Freedom. As for urinating on those New York National School architects, Wayne already did that last month on their graves in Southampton.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 03:47:16 PM »
"I have visions of the Philly contingent hanging the effigies of Macdonald, Whigham and Colt from the Boardwalk, stoning them with Finegan's latest tome before lighting them ablaze, urinating on them, all while singing 'Philadelphia Freedom'."

Listen here, MacWoodenhead, you hallucinating putz, we true-blue ultra manly Philadelphians would never think of singing "Philadelphia Freedom"!! It was written and recorded by a 4' 11" British homosexual who dresses like a Christmas tree. Plus his definition of "Freedom" ain't the same as our definition of Freedom. As for urinating on those New York National School architects, Wayne already did that last month on their graves in Southampton.
I vote this winner o' the "Best post of the year award." Tom, you made me spit coffee all over my laptop.  ;D

T_MacWood

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 06:04:48 PM »

Nah,

Colt gets a pass because the only course he tried to contaminate is one we simply adopt due to proximity and the fact that New Jersey has no idea what they have.  It's not a real Philly course.

On the other hand, wait til you see what we do with the effigy of J.B. McGovern!!!   :o :o :o   ;D

Gets a pass? PV is not a Philly course?

Colt is persona non grata. He comes in somehwere between TO and the guy who cracked the Liberty Bell. And he did get his grubby hands on other Philly courses...Huntingdon Valley not to mention the very large role he played in designing Merion.

McGoverns effigy will be spared, unfortunately his elderly daughter will not....she'll will be given the waterboard treatment, with Philly wannabe TE Paul riding that board sporting very large eye-glasses, a singlet bathing suit and singing in a British false setto.

JESII

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 07:20:28 PM »
...singlet bathing suit...

You know Tom, you really do have a sense of humor.

Frighteningly, I will have that image in my head for a long time.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 07:51:17 PM »
Philly wannabe TE Paul riding that board sporting very large eye-glasses, a singlet bathing suit and singing in a British false setto.

Tom Mac,

Actually even though Tom did not go to Haverford, Episcopal or marry into a Prep or Malvern family, we gave him Philly status after spending a summer at Steel Pier in his singlet.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 08:07:12 PM »

Nah,

Colt is persona non grata. He comes in somehwere between TO and the guy who cracked the Liberty Bell. And he did get his grubby hands on other Philly courses...Huntingdon Valley not to mention the very large role he played in designing Merion.

McGoverns effigy will be spared, unfortunately his elderly daughter will not....she'll will be given the waterboard treatment, with Philly wannabe TE Paul riding that board sporting very large eye-glasses, a singlet bathing suit and singing in a British false setto.

Yeah, and routed that Huntingdon Valley course over a few road crossings.

Somehow, it survived in some form as Baederwood Country Club until the 50s.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 08:20:29 PM »
...singlet bathing suit...

Sorry, after watching for a second time in theatres today, I have to ask if this is what you are thinking of...

;D

James Bennett

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 08:57:11 PM »
Jordan

I was thinking more of Rodney Dangerfield in his 'back to college' film.  "Your a Mellon!"  And that dive he performed at the end.  Was it a triple Latzy or something similar.  Going from the high board, onto the middle board, onto the lower board and then into the pool, complete with twists and somersaults.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 09:51:49 PM »

Tom MacWood,

I frankly do not find the humor in your post where you deride Tom Paul and Mother McGovern mercilessly.

First, if she set her mind to it, Old Lady McGovern could kick his ass back to Newtown Square for implying that her sonny Jimmy took all those Ross bunkers and turned them into sub-divisions!   She also said that her Jimmie didn't care all that much for that drunken lounge lizard Flynn either, as Jimmy was a true teetotaler.

Second, I've heard Tom Paul sing often, and given his years of smoking I find it preposterous of you to imply that he can hit the high falsetto notes needed for proper waterboarding torture.   Once more, MacWood, you jump to erroneous conclusions without all of the proper facts.   Your research on Philadelphia has more holes in it than swiss cheese, frankly.

Just because you've seen it written in the society pages of the Main Line Times that Tom Paul is regularly spotted in a singlet as he cavorts in the local neighborhood, and just because he wears glasses to read and detests old lady McGovern doesn't necessarily mean that he waterboards the old bag, Tom.   I think that requires a real leap of faith that you've neither proven herw, nor convinced any of the rest of us, except perhaps your entertainment lawyer friend Moriarty.

As far as Harry Colt, if you've known all along that he designed Merion, I wish you had just come forward with it.   You would have saved us all about 80,000 words each of typing at each other, and we could have gone back to our more meaningful lives of protecting Philadelphia from the regular onslaught of historical revisionists, fey golf architect groupies like Whigham, and speculative left-coast liberals who masquerade as seeking the truth.

Yo...you guys want the trute?   Come to Philly and we'll give you some trute!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 09:53:59 PM by Mike Cirba »

mike_malone

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 10:23:42 PM »
I tried to delete this thread since it went beyond my time for an answer, but it is great to see the Merion battlers getting along so well.
AKA Mayday

JESII

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 10:28:11 PM »
As to the original topic however, better get while there's gettin' to be had...Harrah's just sold to private equity...and I doubt they give a damn about a Tom Doak / William Flynn collaboration.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 10:28:36 PM by JES II »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2006, 11:02:59 PM »
As to the original topic however, better get while there's gettin' to be had...Harrah's just sold to private equity...and I doubt they give a damn about a Tom Doak / William Flynn collaboration.

C'mon Sully, lighten up, willya?

Man...what a buzz kill!   ::)

I'm sure if we stay here long enough we'll probably only learn that ACCC was originally designed by Macdonald and Whigham anyway...no great loss.   ;D

mike_malone

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 04:04:09 PM »
 I'm happy to say that we have our "wacko"---Doug Braunsdorf ;D
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back