News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Hunt

Dixie Cup
« on: December 18, 2006, 01:58:03 PM »
What exactly is the the "Dixie Cup". I gather it is a event for GCA.com members but what is it and where did it get its name?

Tim Bert

Re:Dixie Cup
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 05:35:33 PM »
An event??  I think you've got it all wrong.  The Dixie Cup is just a small paper cup that you keep in your bathroom (usually by the hundreds) in a convenient plastic dispenser.   ;D

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 05:39:03 PM »
Some Dixie Cups have flat bottoms and others are in the shape of a cone. The ones south of the Mason/Dixon line are the latter, and used upside-down as KKK skull caps by mice.

Any other questions? ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 05:46:48 PM »
Matthew,
The Dixie Cup is an incredibly fun event held in Dixie where we Yankees get our butt whipped while experiencing some really super golf course architecture.  

We did a tour of Mike Strantz' courses in SC this year - Bulls Bay, Caledonia, and True Blue.

Bulls Bay is now one of my favorite courses.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 05:49:41 PM »
Matthew,
The Dixie Cup is an incredibly fun event held in Dixie where we Yankees get our butt whipped while experiencing some really super golf course architecture.  

We did a tour of Mike Strantz' courses in SC this year - Bulls Bay, Caledonia, and True Blue.

Bulls Bay is now one of my favorite courses.

Dan:

You spoiled all the fun. surely you could delete your post and post something cute?????????????????????? 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:50:06 PM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 05:50:14 PM »
Dan  - interesting - the Yankees did the whipping at DC I.  Perhaps the RIGHT Yankees need to come down and set things straight next year?

;D ;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 06:20:33 PM »
Next time they will know better and get a captain that actually knows something about golf!  No more last minute drafts...  It is sort of hard to match things up when the south team's handicaps go from scratch to about 11 and the north's start at about 12 and go pretty high...  ::)  ;D 8)

As for that scamp and skalleway McBride, I know I can beat him if the moon and stars line up right next time.  >:(  I want a rematch!  Even Frazier gave Ali a second chance, before the rubber match...  which will called the "thrilla in Cuscowilla" ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 06:22:28 PM »
Who is captaining the South?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 07:15:53 PM »
Next time they will know better and get a captain that actually knows something about golf!  No more last minute drafts...  It is sort of hard to match things up when the south team's handicaps go from scratch to about 11 and the north's start at about 12 and go pretty high...  ::)  ;D 8)

As for that scamp and skalleway McBride, I know I can beat him if the moon and stars line up right next time.  >:(  I want a rematch!  Even Frazier gave Ali a second chance, before the rubber match...  which will called the "thrilla in Cuscowilla" ;D

Apollo Creed in Rocky I: "Ain't gonna be no rematch!"  ;D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 10:18:19 PM by Bill_McBride »

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 09:33:11 PM »
which will called the "thrilla in Cuscowilla" ;D

well done  ;D!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 10:30:44 PM »
What exactly is the the "Dixie Cup". I gather it is a event for GCA.com members but what is it and where did it get its name?

Matthew, now that all the jokers are finished -

The Dixie Cup is a gathering of GCA.com members and hangers-on that takes place every fall, at least since 2001, in the Southeastern United States.

2004- Cuscowilla, Eatonton, Georgia
2005 - Pine Needles / Mid Pines - Pinehurst
2006 - Caledonia / True Blue / Bulls Bay - Myrtle Beach SC

The 2007 Dixie Cup will be back at Cuscowilla and will add Longshadow GC and an optional round at Jim Engh's new course at Reynolds Plantation.

There will be further information in a couple of months and you will be able to sign up to join the group if you wish.

Any questions send me an IM.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 11:30:31 PM »
Dan  - interesting - the Yankees did the whipping at DC I.  Perhaps the RIGHT Yankees need to come down and set things straight next year?

;D ;D

Huck - Funny you should be calling out the RIGHT yankees... considering. Do you still have my club championship hat?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 08:49:38 AM »

;D ;D

Huck - Funny you should be calling out the RIGHT yankees... considering. Do you still have my club championship hat?

It's good to see that co-host Michael Whitaker is already talking trash.  This is a good sign!  8)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 10:10:46 AM »
Michael, it was a team game... and that was my only loss that weekend.  But well said.

;D

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 11:50:59 AM »
I have not seen the word Yankees this many times since baseball season ended and last months playing of Gone with the Wind. The South has risen in the Dixie Cup and will stay on top. On tap the next thirty days are Southerners vs Yankees, 1. Florida/ohio state 2. LSU/notre dame 3. Arkansas/wisconsin 4. Teneessee/penn state 5. Auburn/nebraska 6. Texas/iowa

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 03:22:24 PM »
The ACC football schedule just came out (SEC's has been out)....time to set the dates!  

Just kidding Michael W.....your work is appreciated.  Let the dates fall where they can.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 06:49:58 PM »
Much more to come, but the dates are now official:

(Drum roll please)

(Trumpet fanfare)

The first weekend in October, which I believe is October 5-7.

Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth commence!  ;D

Guy Phelan

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 07:06:25 PM »
McBride,

Stop worrying about some match in the fall and start thinking about picking this southern gentleman up at the airport on Friday morning.

Guy

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 07:17:15 PM »
McBride,

Stop worrying about some match in the fall and start thinking about picking this southern gentleman up at the airport on Friday morning.

Guy

Who is this really?

;D

Mike Benham

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 07:32:47 PM »
Evidently you forgot to bounce this against the Pac-10 and Indie schedule ...

Oct. 6th:  NOTRE DAME at UCLA
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Michael Christensen

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 08:36:59 PM »
alright.......just booked my club level room at the Ritz.....now all I have to do is get our wines into there!  ;D

Anyone up for Augusta National on Monday?

Bill Gayne

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 09:25:24 PM »
Be careful not to mess with the ACC defending champion game against UNC on 10/27.

(As an aside, I'm the biggest ACC basketball apologist but I have to admit the pac ten is the best to watch and the highest quality of play this year. Come NCAA tournament time you don't want Stanford in your bracket. I saw them play UVA in Charlottesville and they have twin freshman seven footers. They will probably come in as 6-8 seed. Chase Buddinger at Arizona is the real deal and Lute Olsen will have them ready at year end. UCLA is really talented and tournament tested. Tim Floyd is doing a great job at USC and is hitting the recruiting trail. They took UCLA to the brink about ten days ago.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 10:31:33 PM by Bill Gayne »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2007, 10:54:50 PM »
Evidently you forgot to bounce this against the Pac-10 and Indie schedule ...

Oct. 6th:  NOTRE DAME at UCLA

I could certainly miss that one!

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2007, 11:45:13 PM »
Much more to come, but the dates are now official:

The first weekend in October, which I believe is October 5-7.

Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth commence!  ;D

Wailing material conflicting that weekend aroud the South:

UGa@Tenn
UF@LSU
VT@Clemson

Other info for Eatonton, GA on that weekend:

avg high 80, avg low: 52.  sunset: 7:13 pm

Chris Cupit

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2007, 12:30:15 AM »
Matthew,

Wikipedia has some interesting info but basicly, today, Dixie is pretty much a reference to the "Old South"--the former States of the Confederacey: Virginia, N. Carolina, S. Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas Tennessee and Arkansas.

Although difficult for a Southron to admit, Dixie was written by a blue-dick, er Yankee from Ohio--Daniel Emmett.  Prior to the War of Northern Aggression it was perfomed mainly in the north as a very popular minstrel show.  Mr. Emmett supposedly had a benevolent slaveholder from New York in mind (Mr. Dixy--no kidding) when he composed the song.

Today the original lyrics, particularly given that the song was sung and danced to in black face, would offend most anyone--even heartless Yankees ;)

A cup is, well......

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back