News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

peter_p

Golf in the Kingdom - The Movie
« on: December 07, 2006, 01:47:53 PM »
will be filming at Bandon. As if the courses need more publicity. Link to website and a 10 minute promo:  
http://www.findshivas.com/

Francis Fisher will play Eve. Arturo Smith is cinematographer.
Catch 'movie news'.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 01:52:42 PM by Peter Pittock »

Tom_Doak

Re:Golf in the Kingdom - The Movie
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 03:18:49 PM »
One of the highlights of my summer was having breakfast with Michael Murphy in July ... he was up with the film producer looking at locations for the various golf scenes.

Todd Rohrer

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 03:43:07 PM »
We're pretty excited way out here in Oregon that it looks like "Golf in the Kingdom" will finally get filmed.
Tom, I was at the same B&B that Murphy and his wife stayed at on that trip.  Whiskey was consumed.  He was really excited that everyone connected with Bandon was so supportive of the project.
Didn't hurt that the gods decided to make that Curtis Cup weekend one long infomercial on Pac Dunes!  What weather that was...

The promo that Peter referred to in his post has some interesting characters in it; worth the watch!

peter_p

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 05:19:14 PM »
Todd,
Welcome to GCA. Looks like you are in a good fit with Mackenzie bags. They'll get some good pub from being used in the movie.

astavrides

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 12:01:15 AM »
Don't mean to divert the thread but if anybody taped the curtis cup and can loan it to me, please IM me.  I somehow missed it.

ForkaB

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 03:31:35 AM »
OK all you talkers out there!

Digging into the website cited above, it is clear that they are crying out for someone to play the Michael Murphy character!

Chance of a lifetime to escape the drudgery of the day to day job and whatever else you do other than post on GCA.com!

As I see it, the successful character needs to be young and have a combination of:

--Jim Sullivan's golf game (Murphy has an ego bigger than Tom Paul's weekly Merlot bill)
--Barney's zen-like attitude to life
--Huckaby's loveable balance between naivete and certitude
--Jordan Wall's inability to convincingly prove his existence

Line up for the casting couch, studs!

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 09:12:53 AM »
Somebody needs to tell that fella to tuck in his shirt.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 10:31:18 AM »

Dammit you summed me up well...  ;D

ForkaB

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 10:43:56 AM »

Dammit you summed me up well...  ;D

Huck

If you could lose 20 years, one wife, three kids, 30 pounds and 1.7 off your GHIN index, you'd be in like Flynn (oir was it Whigham....????).

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 11:21:35 AM »
Rich, I now have a goal.  Interestingly I fear though that the wife and kids would be the easiest parts of that to shed.

;)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 05:18:29 PM »
Could someone tell me why the hell I should give a damn about this book.  I'm thinking of downloading it to listen to on a long series of plane rides coming up.  Is it about golf and architecture at all or is it just an Ophra show about men and thier inner feelings.  I had never heard of the thing until the first time I asked Shivas what was up with the name.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 05:21:01 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmmm

I sure as hell won't be the one to recommend the book to you, John.  I loved it, but many hate it.  Put it this way:  if you read or watched Baggar Vance and found too much Oprah-ish crap in that, you'll REALLY hate Golf in the Kingdom - particularly the second half of the book.

It's not for everyone, that's for sure.

But I do think it isn't about men and their inner feelings... but more about what golf can mean to anyone.

TH

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 05:26:27 PM »
I just listened to the preview on Itunes...He hooks up with a classmate from Stanford and they set up a get together at Big Sur to talk about his time in India and Scotland.  This sounds like the perfect book to listen to on a trip out to LA to see if that is where I will let my daughter set out on the rest of her life.  The preview is monsteriously horrible.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 05:27:12 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 05:29:41 PM »
 ;D ;D
Well, that's the book in a nutshell... or is to the same extent that Huckleberry Finn in a nutshell is about two guys river rafting.

And sending your daughter to SoCal will be risky indeed... they're crazy down there.  You might want to consider the central/northern parts of the state, and a certain fine Jesuit institution in silicon valley.  ;)

TH

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 05:29:53 PM »
It is a fascinating book but I cannot imagine trying to listen to it as a "book on tape".

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 05:31:06 PM »
That's a good point also.. I have my own inner voice for Shivas Irons and there's no way in hell the voice on the tape will come close... and that would piss me off.

TH

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 05:35:07 PM »
It is a fascinating book but I cannot imagine trying to listen to it as a "book on tape".

Tom,

Is that because you do not like books on tape or because of this books content.  I always like to download books onto an Ipod when I have long plane flights to deal with.  You have to understand that I can not read books on planes because I am too fat to be able to properly hold the book above my belly in a postion to read without elbowing the passenger next to me.  Not to mention the thought of being seen in public with a golf book in my hands makes me ill.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 05:36:53 PM »
That's a good point also.. I have my own inner voice for Shivas Irons and there's no way in hell the voice on the tape will come close... and that would piss me off.

TH

Huck,

Do me a favor and click on Itunes and take a listen to the preview.(might be the author so be careful)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 05:47:30 PM »
I can see how that preview doesn't have you jumping up and down ready to buy the book.

No offense to Mr. Murphy, but a dynamic vocal storyteller he ain't.  At least not on this Itunes preview.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 05:51:15 PM »
I just listened to the preview on Itunes...He hooks up with a classmate from Stanford and they set up a get together at Big Sur to talk about his time in India and Scotland.  This sounds like the perfect book to listen to on a trip out to LA to see if that is where I will let my daughter set out on the rest of her life.  ...

Only if you want to fall asleep and run off the road.

Let's see. You have eco freaks in OR, just plain freaks in NO Cal, diva freaks in So Cal. I guess WA is the only safe place on the west coast to send your daughter.  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Pazin

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 05:51:48 PM »

Disagreement with Tom #2! :)

One of the last books I've read that I would call fascinating. Spawned a bunch of crap. Nothing good came of the book.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 05:51:58 PM »
Huck,

I'm downloading the book as we speak.  The very idea of how much I'm going to hate it has put me in a very good mood.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 05:54:36 PM »
Huck,

I'm downloading the book as we speak.  The very idea of how much I'm going to hate it has put me in a very good mood.

I understand that perfectly.... and I must say imagining your report on the book has me in a very good mood as well.

;D

George Pazin

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 05:54:51 PM »
Jax, send me your address, you can have mine.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 05:57:06 PM »
Garland,

The other choice is Boston at a university that overlooks Fenway Park.  I'm not sure but I have a feeling the golf is better in Boston...and the one place on earth I might see a better baseball game than in St. Louis.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back