News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

Ballesteros Planning to Play
« on: December 05, 2006, 01:30:09 PM »
Ballesteros Planning to Play More Competitive Golf

By Sports Network - December 04, 2006

MADRID, Spain -- Five-time major champion Seve Ballesteros will return to competitive golf in 2007 and will join the Champions Tour in April.

Ballesteros, who will turn 50 the week after the Masters, hopes to play in a few PGA TOUR events prior to the Masters, which will be played April 5-8. After that, he hopes to play a "significant schedule" on the Champions Tour.

The Spaniard has not played in the Masters since 2003. Ballesteros, who has been battling back problems for several years, has played in just four events over the previous three seasons, including last year's British Open.

"I am very excited to return to championship golf and look forward to competing against many of my friends again," stated Ballesteros, who won three British Open and two Masters titles. "At first, I was unsure about this decision, but after playing at this year's Open Championship at Royal Liverpool, where the crowds were so kind to me and cheered me on to play better than I had expected, I started to become very excited about playing competitively again. I will be happy to see all my friends and look forward to having a lot of fun re-connecting with the fans on the Champions Tour."

Ballesteros won 50 times on the European Tour and nine times on the PGA TOUR. He played on eight Ryder Cup teams and captained the European squad to victory at Valderrama in 1997.

"We look forward to seeing Seve in the United States. He certainly brings charisma whenever he is in a tournament field," said Champions Tour president Rick George.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

George Pazin

Re:Ballesteros Planning to Play
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 01:34:58 PM »
I'd actually go to a senior event to see Seve.

Hope he regains his form at least somewhat.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 01:36:24 PM »
 8)
Can't wait to see him hitting recovery shots!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Gary Slatter

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 02:02:56 PM »
Great news! It took him quite some time to shake off all the advice he received a few years ago. (Mac O'Grady & Co)
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 02:10:28 PM »
Nothing could benefit the Champions Tour more than a healthy & happy Seve being competitive on a regular basis.  I would love to see it happen.  Sadly, I doubt it will.  

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 02:10:43 PM »
is it just his driver that he can't hit or is it all full shots??

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 02:13:29 PM »
I have always loved to see Seve stalk a golf course.  I remember watching him play a match with Colin Montgomery at Druids Glen.  He never hit a fairway or a green, or even the fringe.  He broke monty's spirit by getting up and down from everywhere.  I can't wait to see him play again.  I hope he has discovered some of his long lost long game.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 02:14:35 PM »
8)
Can't wait to see him hitting recovery shots!

The way he's been hitting it off the tee lately, Steve, we'll be seeing plenty of that!

BTW, Shackelford put a funny spin on Seve's quote. Check it out everyone.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 02:27:16 PM »
Nothing could benefit the Champions Tour more than a healthy & happy Seve being competitive on a regular basis.  

I don't think Seve's been happy since the 1979 Open Championship.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 03:49:53 PM »
I thought you meant play cards.

JESII

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 04:16:07 PM »
Definitely gives reason to go out and watch...even a practice round would be cool if you ask me.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 05:36:12 PM »
Definitely gives reason to go out and watch...even a practice round would be cool if you ask me.

. . . with a helmet and some protective eyewear, of course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back