News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

DO or DON'T die holes
« on: November 14, 2006, 10:42:34 AM »
All this strategic/penal mumbo jumbo on the JH Taylor thread got me thinking about one of my favourite types of holes in golf.  The type of hole that is quite penal for the first shot, but very strategic for the recovery.  The concept is similar to the heroic hole except you can pull the ball out of the hole even after failing the test of heroism.  

This type of hole also helps to illustrate why I don't think architecture should necessarily be discussed in strategic-penal terms because it is often an innaccurate portrayal of the hole, the course or the architect.  Simply put, architecture is far too complicated to describe using such blunt terms as "strategic" or "penal".

In any case, the example I would like to use is Pennard's 11th.  A 170ish yard hole playing over a stream at the bottom of a wee valley onto a shelf on the side of a hill.

A view of the hole from the 10th fairway.

From the tee.  The shot can call for anything from an 8 iron to a driver.  It is possible to slide a shot in from the left and use the hill as a backboard, but this is a very difficult shot.  It is easiest to take aim just left of the bunker and fire away.  Of course the player must decide if he is going to err on the side of being short or long.  Both mistakes can leave the player in an awful, but not impossible position.

The green features a serious false front.  The level area is about 8 paces wide.  If approaches are left short they can roll 30 yards back down toward the water.  As you can see the backboard is gradual so an approach which is a tad too firm will continue up the hill and not come back.  You can also see the depression which defends against approaches bouncing in from left to right.

I think this is one of the best par 3s I have ever played because it offers a bit of heroism off the tee without resulting in disaster for a good or nearly great shot.  Getting up and down is very difficult, but doable.  Four is not a bad score here at all.  

Does anybody else enjoy this type of hole?  Any examples with photos?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John Chilver-Stainer

Re:DO or DON'T die holes
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 03:40:41 PM »
Sean

I just checked out the GCA Profile of Pennard and it definitely is a “must do”.

The hole you feature is slightly reminiscent of the short 4th at Machrihanish – not as demanding in length as Pennard. However dropping short at Mac provides all kinds of difficulties. In a strong cross wind it gets tricky – behind the green it doesn’t have the advantage of the Pennards “Backboard” but at least it’s wider than 8 paces. Still a do or die hole without having water hazards or being surrounded by bunkers.

Picture from the GCA Profile

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 12:14:43 AM »
John:

The 4th at Machrihanish is a neat hole, but I just don't think -- at 123 yards from the medal tees -- it has the length to really qualify as a true do or don't hole (maybe in a very stiff wind, but even in moderate winds, it's not that intimidating).

For my money, the best par 3 on the Kintyre Peninsula can be found down the road at Dunaverty -- the 14th, "Rest and Be Thankful," which is 194 yards of all carry over some the nastiest gorse and brush imaginable. A bunkerless hole that's just brutal.

Paul Payne

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 11:25:26 AM »
Sean,

I love holes like the one you illustrate here. I also agree with you in the fact that I always see too many gray areas along the lines that supposedly separate the penal from the strategic.

I wish I had photos but there is a hole very similar to this at an old course here called Keller. It is a par 3 of about 150 yards that carries over a valley of tall rough to a green that is perched on a ledge on the far hillside. I have always liked the number of options and problems it presents. It is one of my favorite holes on the course.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 11:36:23 AM »
If I get you right Sean then the 18th at Broara fits the bill perfectly.  

Can it only apply to par 3's  or would a shortish (dogleg) par 5 with a hard to hit green qualify? 17th at John O'Gaunt, a drive up the left opens green with severe fall off's to front and sides. No bunkers near greens but they do have one on fairway.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Paul Payne

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 12:18:20 PM »
Sean,

Generally speaking the ball will not be lost. I failed to mention that this is why I think it fits your criteria. The heroic shot could have a spectacular result, but if you miss you still have a fair chance at recovery. It may be difficult but all is not completely lost.

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 12:27:37 PM »
A fun “ledge green” can be found at the 17th at the Braids Municipal in Edinburgh.

The green is also only about 8 paces wide with a backboard and played over a valley If you play short of the green the ball will trickle down to the bottom of the valley which is maitained as fairway.

In one of my less inspiring rounds there, during a very dry period, I managed to top the tee shot which raced down into the valley and climbed up the steep slope just managing to pop onto the green. I then proceeded to putt out for a birdie to the complete disgust of my playing partner.

Now that’s what I call the ground game. Do or bir-die.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 12:27:55 PM »
Ok so other example's of multiple shot holes.

Foxy. You haven’t a hope with your second shot unless your first is spot on. In fact going too far right with your first makes 6 a real possibility.

A hole where you have to be precise or suffer penalties with more than two shot's is surely kind of rare.

The 12th and 16th at the Addington where the diffiiculties after landing your ball in the wrong place in the fairway are severe?

I love all the above, you're on to something.

Another example that I haven't seen would be the one at Brancaster that plays across 3 spits of land. (But that could fairly be described as Penal – at least when when the tide is in.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 12:29:09 PM by Tony Muldoon »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 12:32:20 PM »
Sean, I believe that is Ran's brother John's wife, who is reputedly a very good golfer.  I think she gives Ran 3 a side.   ;D

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 02:54:42 PM »
Foxy is a great hole on so many levels.  

How bout some pix?

F&F this past July.  Pic taken where I desired to be after my tee shot, makes it look a lot simpler.

Phil McDade

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 12:07:03 AM »
Sean:

The 4th at Machrihanish is playable if short and short of the bunker, although it will likely be in some fairly tough stuff and difficult to get up and down in 3, to say nothing of 2.

My example of the 14th at Dunaverty is a more penal hole -- a true, all-carry hole that is just long and tough. No recovery possible without a carry of at least 160-170 yards.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back