News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

redanman

The apparent demise of www.golfcourse.com?
« on: November 03, 2006, 01:39:22 PM »
I have been unable to find it lately, too, especially today, nothing at all loads with the url.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 12:26:41 PM by W.Vostinak »

Tom Huckaby

Re:The apparent demise of www.golfcourse.com?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 01:45:25 PM »
r - it still exists, it just got purchased or otherwise subsumed by Golf Magazine's website, golfonline.  

http://www.golfonline.com/golfonline/

Look halfway down on the left.

TH

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 02:00:43 PM »
This is a direct link to the search page:

http://www.golfonline.com/golfonline/coursefinder/search

Looks like they have upgraded so that you can see the map and convert it to an aerial of the course.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 02:04:11 PM by Jason Topp »

Cory Lewis

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »
In one respect it has improved because it gives you map locations and aerials if they are available, through google's map and imaging software.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 02:05:15 PM »
r - yes, it does suck relative to what it once was... kinda like other separate sites subsumed by magazines.  In this case I assume they just bought the URL and the name... wanted all of that directed to their site.

But still... RIP golfweb too.

:'(
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 02:05:55 PM by Tom Huckaby »

ChipRoyce

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 02:38:32 PM »
A 72-year old friend of mine who has played almost 900 courses including every one in New Jersey recently asked me what happened to the above noted website.  (He's terribly computer illiterate)

It used to be a great search engine to find old courses you'd played but could only remember bits and pieces, to find courses in an area and especially in a state or by architect. Incomplete, but a really good database and search engine.

The Seth Raynor "Top 10" thread made me think of this site again; I had told Joe it had changed the last time I accessed it a week or so ago and for him to to get back to me if he had any trouble. The format had changed, but it had still been there.

I have been unable to find it lately, too, especially today, nothing at all loads with the url.

I was hoping to "advanced search for "Raynor" and find some forgotten or public ones, but no gc.com

hopefully, it's just down.

Anyone know anything?

wah...

Redanman;
Tell me about it!
I used to work for iGOLF and was the product manager and led the development of Golfcourse.com, launched back in late '96 I believe with the help of a great development team and Gary Galyean.
It really bummed me out to see the new version.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 02:46:09 PM »
I have used golfcourse.com for years.

Golfonline has very few of the massive number of courses that golfcourse.com had. But I had a transitional position in GC saved also, and it still worked for a while, then I guess they closed it down too.

Too bad! GC was a GREAT search engine! It's 'advanced search' features were just awesome. information is too good. I expect GC to come back, as a PAY site!

GOL simply sucks.

Doug

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 03:51:46 PM »
But still... RIP golfweb too.

:'(

True, but Golfweb's course guide still exists on PGATour.com

http://www.golfweb.com/courseguide/html?page=detailedsearch

I used it to find all the courses in particular counties which can be useful if you are looking through a large part of a state.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 03:52:41 PM by John Vander Borght »

JohnV

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 03:54:32 PM »
A 72-year old friend of mine who has played ... every one in New Jersey recently asked me what happened to the above noted website.  (He's terribly computer illiterate)

That is cool to meet someone like that.  There was a guy who used to go course rating with us in Oregon who had played every course there plus most of Washington.  He still had score cards from the 1950s and when we went rating he'd bring them with him for the courses we were doing.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 03:58:45 PM »
I concur with the above complaints.   I really see no reason why they had to completely overhaul the site.  It was BY FAR the best golf course search engine out there, and while its replacement uses Google Earth, the rest of it is garbage.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 08:10:11 AM »
John V - you know Joe.  He's one of your brethern.  JC

ChipRoyce

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 05:54:59 PM »
Chip

I remember way back like '95 or something, winning a golf hole architecture contest or two.  I have a hat from that somewhere!

We also had some get-together in Denver, my memory is fuzzy, help me out here!!!

WOW!  I cannot believe that I completely forgot iGolf.  :-[

Redanman;

That's awesome - really glad you still have your hat.
iGOLF really was groundbreaking at the time, and if it had still existed, would still be the best online golf outlet. It was started on AOL back in 1995 and I came onboard to help bring the site to the web.

We had a lot of talent involved back then who are now household names. Brad Klein was one of our orig. contributors and it was interesting as the minimialist thing was going on to learn from his and Gary Galyean's articles. We had Feherty and McCord doing a lot of contributing articles.

The local events were a blast - I remember playing with Brad K. and a number of our active users at Black Bear, in Central Floriday. Those were the days when Brad continued to rave about his international membership at RD (Royal Dornoch) and we all scratched our heads trying to figure out why that was so cool. Know we know....

It got really fun when we branched out into the golf course world. The acquisition of GolfAmerica brought us a robust directory - you should have seen the file cabinets of scorecards from all around the country that data-entry folks would use to keep the database up to date!

One of the best parts of golfcourse.com was the ratings / comments section. It can still be found in the current incarnation, but is pretty buried.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 01:48:01 PM »
bump

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back