News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

A View From the Hill--The Home of Golf In America
« on: October 26, 2006, 02:56:42 AM »

Thank You Mr. MacDonald. Thank you for everything.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 02:57:34 AM by Tommy Naccarato »

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:A View From the Hill--The Home of Golf In America
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 03:02:05 AM »
And thank you Mr. Flynn too!

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 07:37:43 AM »
Tom,

Great photos my friend.  I think we now know who our cover photographer might be  ;)  Do you have a nice photo from the landing area on the 16th up the fairway to the clubhouse?  To me that is the covershot.  Shinnecock looks wonderful in these photos and somehow you capture elevation change very well.  It sure is a mystery to me how to do that.

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 08:37:52 AM »
Tom,

You were sworn to secrecy.  If you see a black windowless van pulling up your long driveway, you better hide in the root cellar.  Don't worry, if you're taken away never to be seen again, I'll tell Susan you simply pissed off the wrong people.  I'm sure after her grieving period she won't be all that surprised.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 10:25:50 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 08:38:08 AM »

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 08:39:39 AM »
Great, Tommy.  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 10:25:30 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 08:39:54 AM »
Part of me is going to miss those old buildings, but I hear they are pretty rancid inside of them.

Gotta go to work! ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 08:44:32 AM »
Tommy, did you take that NGLA photo from a neighbor's backyard?  ???   That looks like the Short green and #12 fairway down below, so must be taken from way OB.  Great photo, just put it on my desktop background.  The windmill, what an icon!  8)

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 08:57:56 AM »
"Tom,
You were sworn to secrecy."

Wino Wayno:

Sworn to secrecy about what? If you're talking about any building removal, I never said anything like that. If you think I did let's see you prove it. I don't know where that idea came from but it wasn't me---it appears to be from you or that Left Coast reactionary ultra purist Thomas Q. Naccarato.

If I find that Shinnecock is actually looking to generate a bit more income I'm gonna recommend to Charles and the brass that they put a Macdonald's sign on top of that old fashioned windswept clubhouse and sell some burgers and fries on the side.

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 09:35:04 AM »
Tommy,
  Great pics - it took me a minute to recognize Trevino's par 5 11th hole.

To me at least, it's impossible to recognize enough how far above its Top 100 peers National & Shinnecock are.

SPDB

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 09:44:34 AM »
Wayne -
Do you really want to use that picture, even though
the same shot is featured on Bill Quirin's "Golf Clubs
of the MGA."

wsmorrison

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 10:03:24 AM »
Sean,

I think it is an outstanding photo although I'd move up a bit more to show the bunkering on 9 a bit better.  Tommy has other photos that he's going to share with me and I'll see if any work better.  Even if it was used in Bill Quirin's book (I don't have it but would like to get it if I can find one) I think it is the outstanding Flynn course (and my favorite course of all) so a photo of it should be on the front cover.  What do you suggest?

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 10:08:21 AM »
Wayno:

When it comes to the Flynn book, its title and a great photo for the front cover, I have a few suggestions.

First of all, I can't even remember what that pathetic title is you have for the book. It's so bad or so usual I think I've totally repressed it and forgotten what it is.

There is only one available title that would be great and also extremely applicable and representative of Flynn, his work and its basic place in the evolution of golf architecture.

It's the phrase that his daughter let slip one time when we asked her how he looked at himself as an architect and what HE may've called himself.

REMEMBER? She said he called himself "THE NATURE FAKER".

So, come on Piss Boy, what could be a better and more representative title for the book than that? It's will be far more catchy than that long boring title with something to do with the Golden Age in it that you've selected. Mention of the "Golden Age" in golf architecture book titles are a dime a dozen these days anyway.

Furthermore, the "Golden Age of Golf Architecture'" is completely unrepresentative of the truth of that era anyway.

As Tom MacWood proved the most accurate label for what we think of as the Golden Age of Golf Architecture should be "Arts and Crafts Golf" anyway.

As for a photo for the cover of the book it should be a really good photo of Shinnecock's 11th hole from the tee after Charles finishes obsoleting Tuckahoe Rd, moving it through that hole on Southampton G.C. and removing all those trees you can see in the distance on the right behind the green thereby making #11 green one of the coolest and most fearsome looking total "skyline" greens on earth. Even without that #11 is one of the best medium length par 3s on earth anyway and it's got the history in tournament play to prove it.

Furthermore, right under the photo on the cover we should put as a caption Trevino's neato remark about it;

"Shortest par 5 in the World".  ;)

What in the hell would you ever do without me?

And don't forget, once we all get finished chucking all that fill and verticality some idiot put under that tee, the hole will look even greater and more "up there".  :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 10:18:48 AM by TEPaul »

Brad Swanson

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 10:12:11 AM »
Tommy,
   I especially like the picture of #11.  Maybe my alltime favorite par 3, and not the easiest to effectively capture in a photo.

Cheers,
Brad

« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 12:25:40 PM by Brad Swanson »

Gene Greco

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 12:07:51 PM »
Tommy, did you take that NGLA photo from a neighbor's backyard?  ???   That looks like the Short green and #12 fairway down below, so must be taken from way OB.  Great photo, just put it on my desktop background.  The windmill, what an icon!  8)

Appears to have been taken from back of the 13th tee at Shinnecock.

Hole in your foreground is #15 Shinnecock.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

TEPaul

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 12:24:58 PM »
Thomas Q. Naccarato;

That truly is a world-class beautiful photo you took from Shinnecock looking over towards NGLA.

I have just one question, however, since I don't see any trace of Sebonack G.C in the distance;

Did NGLA buy Sebonack and tear Sebonack's clubhouse down and plow under the golf course?   ;)

Just wondering because NGLA should've bought that land at least two and possibly three times in the past---first time, C.B should've bought it when he had the chance to buy it with the NGLA land before he built NGLA. Second time they should've bought it when Mrs Whatshername, following the death of her husband, wanted to sell it only to sell it to the Electrical Union. And third they should've bought it from the Electrical Union. I was just wondering if they just bought it finally from Mike Pascucci for like $549 million and tore the clubhouse down and plowed under the golf course. That way perhaps NGLA can finally get a little peace and quiet around there.

SPDB

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 12:27:20 PM »
Sean,

I think it is an outstanding photo although I'd
move up a bit more to show the bunkering on 9
a bit better.  Tommy has other photos that he's
going to share with me and I'll see if any work better.
 Even if it was used in Bill Quirin's book (I don't have
it but would like to get it if I can find one) I think
it is the outstanding Flynn course (and my favorite
course of all) so a photo of it should be on the front
cover.  What do you suggest?

Wayne -
I think we've come full circle. I've been on here
 long enough to remember your very first post
- which, if I remember correctly, notified the
world of the Flynn bio you were writing, and
sought advice regarding which pictures should
grace the covers. My, the more things change,
the more they stay the same.  Let's get the lead out.
Finish that thing!

I can't even recall what I suggested back then.
Perhaps it was the 8th on the Primrose?
An autumn shot from the Cascades? Lancaster #4?

BTW -

Buy the book HERE
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 12:28:40 PM by SPDB »

wsmorrison

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 01:50:54 PM »
Thanks for the link.  I just ordered a copy.  That's a nice looking cover, and I guess you're right that it would be too similar to have the same cover, especially if they're in both found in the same pro shop.  

Ahh, yes.  Now I remember...that was probably my first post on here.  You have a great memory.  The book is essentially finished and in the editing process.  As of now 661 pages without drawings and photographs.  229,000 words, not all of which are in proper grammatical order.  

It should be out holiday 2007 either by our contract publisher or as a private printing if we part ways on the final version.  I think we'll be fine even though the market has gotten very soft.

For the cover shot, maybe we'll go with #11 at Shinnecock even if Charles doesn't end up taking over Tuckahoe Rd.  The lowering of the back tee will be a welcome change.

SPDB

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 04:09:46 PM »
Wayne -
I know nothing on the subject, but I would also be curious
if a cover that is strikingly similar to Quirin's might run afoul
of copyright laws.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 06:50:10 PM »

Gene, isn't the green on the left the Short #6 which would mean the 13th fairway in the foreground?  Is there a green in that relationship to 15th fairway?  I thought the 2nd green maybe was pretty high up above the 15th fairway.  I'm having a hard time tying it all together.

But I now have a new favorite golf course east of the Mississippi!

Ted Kramer

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 07:38:55 PM »
Wayno:

When it comes to the Flynn book, its title and a great photo for the front cover, I have a few suggestions.

First of all, I can't even remember what that pathetic title is you have for the book. It's so bad or so usual I think I've totally repressed it and forgotten what it is.

There is only one available title that would be great and also extremely applicable and representative of Flynn, his work and its basic place in the evolution of golf architecture.

It's the phrase that his daughter let slip one time when we asked her how he looked at himself as an architect and what HE may've called himself.

REMEMBER? She said he called himself "THE NATURE FAKER".

So, come on Piss Boy, what could be a better and more representative title for the book than that? It's will be far more catchy than that long boring title with something to do with the Golden Age in it that you've selected. Mention of the "Golden Age" in golf architecture book titles are a dime a dozen these days anyway.

Furthermore, the "Golden Age of Golf Architecture'" is completely unrepresentative of the truth of that era anyway.

As Tom MacWood proved the most accurate label for what we think of as the Golden Age of Golf Architecture should be "Arts and Crafts Golf" anyway.

As for a photo for the cover of the book it should be a really good photo of Shinnecock's 11th hole from the tee after Charles finishes obsoleting Tuckahoe Rd, moving it through that hole on Southampton G.C. and removing all those trees you can see in the distance on the right behind the green thereby making #11 green one of the coolest and most fearsome looking total "skyline" greens on earth. Even without that #11 is one of the best medium length par 3s on earth anyway and it's got the history in tournament play to prove it.

Furthermore, right under the photo on the cover we should put as a caption Trevino's neato remark about it;

"Shortest par 5 in the World".  ;)

What in the hell would you ever do without me?

And don't forget, once we all get finished chucking all that fill and verticality some idiot put under that tee, the hole will look even greater and more "up there".  :)

While I wouldn't even consider myself a competent photogragher, I can offer you this photo of #11. I think it is an outstanding hole to use for the cover of your book.

wsmorrison

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 07:41:07 PM »
That is a nice photo, thank you Ted.  Imagine the tee is lowered a bit and the skyline green effect is returned.  It is going to happen!  See you soon, right?

Ted Kramer

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 07:47:25 PM »
That is a nice photo, thank you Ted.  Imagine the tee is lowered a bit and the skyline green effect is returned.  It is going to happen!  See you soon, right?

I think that change would make an already viusally stunning hole even more impressive looking. Shinnecock remains head and shoulders above any course that I have ever played, simply magical . . .

-Ted

Gene Greco

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 09:05:17 PM »

Gene, isn't the green on the left the Short #6 which would mean the 13th fairway in the foreground?  Is there a green in that relationship to 15th fairway?  I thought the 2nd green maybe was pretty high up above the 15th fairway.  I'm having a hard time tying it all together.

But I now have a new favorite golf course east of the Mississippi!

No.

It's as I stated.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

SPDB

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 10:41:36 PM »
Bill - The course in the immediate foreground is Shinnecock, not NGLA. All that can be seen of NGLA is its clubhouse and windmill. Also - "13th fairway"? At NGLA?

Gene - Are you sure this is from the 13th Tee? I'm not sure where it is, but from the orientation 15th seems to be moving left to right below, which would make this somewhere other than the 13th tee, perhaps off of the property.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back