News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Kramer

The best hole in all of golf
« on: October 10, 2006, 09:36:27 PM »
#4 Bethpage Black.
Looking over a bunch of pics from a website linked to the "image fanatics" post has made me sure that I consider #4 Bethpage Black to be the single greatest hole that I have ever seen or played.

#4 tests it all. Good shots are rewarded. Poor shots are punished. Strategy exists throughout the hole. There is room for the heroic . . .

If I had to use one hole to define golf and its varied thrills and challenges, I would choose #4 Bethpage Black.

Gene Greco

Re:The best hole in all of golf
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 10:39:15 PM »
Great choice, Ted.

#4 at The Black is definitely a candidate.

One must be able to hit his irons long and high for the heroic side to come to fruition but it has been shown it can be done. Though it is not the preferred way to play the hole.

What's more astonishing is to contemplate that it may be the best hole in the world yet one must consider that it may not be the best hole on the course!!! (The next one, #5).  
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 10:40:02 PM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 10:42:14 PM »
Ted

I don't think that I can define a single hole as being the "best" in all of golf as how does one distinguish between a P3 / 4 /5 ? but I certainly have some favourites them being...

P3 15th = Kingston Heath
P3 11th = The Old Course
P3 5th = Royal Melb. West
P3 15th = North Berwick (West)
P3 8th = Royal Troon

etc..

P4 11th = Ballybunion (Old)
P4 17th = The Old Course
P4 14th = Royal Dornoch
P4 6th = Royal Melb. West
P4 3rd = Kingston Heath

etc...

P5's...

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 10:48:24 PM »
    #8 at Pebble Beach.  Hands down!

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 10:54:18 PM »
#7 at Chicago Golf Club

The Redan

Historic and exhilerating - as well as the site of my hole-in-one!!!

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 11:36:40 PM »
#8 at Pebble for the world, 15 at Cypress for me. If I had one hole to play before I died it would be 15.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 11:44:08 PM »
Tiger --

Having played #8 PB but not #15 CP, I think I might have to agree that, if I could only play one more hole in my life, it would be the latter.

Having said that, I don't think a par 3 can be the best hole in all of golf, no matter how great a par 3 it may be. Seems to me the best hole in golf almost has to be a par 4 -- allowing for a wider variety of ways to play the hole (but, unlike a par 5, not too many; the exam must be fairly exacting.)

So I vote for #8 at Pebble (I haven't played #4 BB, either, but geez, visuals have to count for something, right? ;) )
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Bill_Ryzewski

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 12:04:45 AM »
I would nominate Bethpage #4, Perfect drive, layup right to 85y, sand iron to 2 feet, tap in. One month before the US Open (from the black tees).

On the way to 84.

;D
Bill

Evan_Green

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 12:14:42 AM »
16th at Cypress Point

Bill_Ryzewski

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 12:18:26 AM »
16th at Pasatiempo.

Bill_Ryzewski

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 12:27:00 AM »
Seriously,

I hit what I thought was a bad hook only to find myself on the only level lie on the fairway. Hidden away, tucked up against the jungle, affording the best view of the green, the perfect little spot (and I mean little). Pin back, 8-iron to 12 ft!

;D
Bill
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 12:28:52 AM by Bill Ryzewski »

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 12:56:54 AM »
Looking over a bunch of pics from a website linked to the "image fanatics" post has made me sure that I consider #4 Bethpage Black to be the single greatest hole that I have ever seen or played.

#4 tests it all. Good shots are rewarded. Poor shots are punished. Strategy exists throughout the hole. There is room for the heroic . . .

WHAT?

John_Conley

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 02:13:27 AM »
16th at Pasatiempo.

If a hole gets the nod from this course, I'd lobby for 10 or 11.  Diff'rent strokes.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 05:19:38 AM »
what was number 1 in the "best 500 holes in golf" book?... was there a number 1?

anyway, i'd have to go with the road hole for any number of reasons... why they put tarmac over the actual road 8 years ago though, i'll never know...   :'(

...and doesn't 16 at cypress point always beat 15?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 05:50:15 AM »
Ally, you're probably talking about the book by George Pepper and Golf Magazine.  No number one hole in the world, but they did give their top 18, which consisted of 4 par 3's, 10 par 4's and 4 par 5's:

Par 3's:

#4     Banff
#17   TPC Sawgrass
#15   CPC (not 16)
#4     NGLA (redan)

Par 4's:

#17    TOC
#11    Ballybunion Old
#9      RCD
#5      Bethpage Black
#14    Shinnecock
#13    Pine Valley
#16    Merion (Quarry)
#12    Southern Hills
#5      Mid-Ocean (Cape)
#6      Royal Melbourne West

Par 5's:

#18    Pebble Beach
#13    ANGC
#3     Durban
#6     Carnoustie

TEPaul

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 05:59:54 AM »
My new favorite is the 12th at Oakmont. There is just more strategic stuff going on with that hole than a barrel of monkeys.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 08:30:26 AM »
Isn't it always thus on GCA? You are so certain that the 'best hole in golf' MUST come from the few famous favored courses of the ideologues here!

There are COUNTLESS courses out there, never mentioned here, who have great holes. How could you possibly begin to answer such a question?

I would wager that most of you also believe, because YOU have only seen Earth, that only this planet has 'intellegent life'.

What a horrible thread. No one could possibly know what the 'best hole in golf' is, even if there were objective criteria to determine.

On the other hand, it IS fun to talk about OUR favorite holes. That does not require any criteria but our own likings.

Eagle Ridge [KY], #13, no doubt about it. Just too fun!  :D

Doug

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 08:52:47 AM »
Rick, I agree with you 100%.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 09:03:30 AM »
The first at Hollinwell because it's the next hole I'll play (on Tuesday morning) and it's the first of 108 holes I'll be playing in three days, so I'll still have 107 holes to play when I finish it.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 09:54:41 AM »
The Old Course's no. 12.

That d**n hole is my daddy.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

SPDB

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 09:56:24 AM »
My new favorite is the 12th at Oakmont. There is just more strategic stuff going on with that hole than a barrel of monkeys.

TEPaul - What kind of strategic stuff goes on in a barrel of monkeys? I'm intrigued, do tell more.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 09:56:53 AM by SPDB »

JESII

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 10:20:50 AM »
Hell, I take him to see Tom Paul's barrel full of monkeys. I do need to hear about the strategy of that barrel though.

Evan_Green

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 10:34:56 AM »
...and doesn't 16 at cypress point always beat 15?

Quoting none other than Ran himself from his Cypress Point writeup:

"The greatest hole in the world. " under the picture of #16

"The 16th is the author's favorite golf hole in the world, thanks to its unsurpassed beauty, strategic options, and the feeling of being at one with nature. Many people speak of the 15th hole in equal terms but to the author (and MacKenzie too), the hole holds only a fraction of the strategic interest of its big brother. "

Anthony Butler

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 10:40:49 AM »
Hell, I take him to see Tom Paul's barrel full of monkeys. I do need to hear about the strategy of that barrel though.

While I am intrigued by how much 'strategery' Tom Paul has found both in a barrel full of monkeys and the 12th at Oakmont, I'm going with the 17th at The Old Course. Due to Faldo and Tiger's dominance in three of the last four British Opens played at St. Andrews, we haven't seen how crucial that hole is–both in the way it is played and how it fits into the round. Can't remember exactly what happened in 1995 as I was playing in a tournament and saw only the Rocca putt from the Valley of Sin on the highlights.
Next!

JESII

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 10:46:21 AM »
Bare with me because I have never been there, but are there really more than two options on the 16th tee at Cypress Point? And to take that line of reasoning a step further, doesn't that become one realistic option for a very large percentage of the golfing population?  When I say realistic I would ask that we go outside the box of the "I am only here once so I am giving it a go"[/i] mentality.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back