News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Williams

Royal County Down - Hotels?
« on: October 10, 2006, 05:05:31 PM »
I have a friend who is planning on heading out to Ireland and surrounds.

Most of the trip is tentatively planned, but he has no idea regarding lodging around Royal County Down.

Any suggestions from the treehouse?

Thanks,

Keith.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 05:00:01 AM by Keith Williams »

Larry_Keltto

Re:Royal County Down - Hotels?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 05:09:19 PM »
The Slieve Donard Hotel is quite nice (big rooms, good food, nice bar), but it's going to cost a lot more than anything else. The Slieve Donard is the building that can be seen in all the photos of the 9th hole. The hotel is across the street from RCD.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 05:16:12 PM »
Keith,

If $$$$$ is not an issue, stay at the Slieve Donard. However, if all you need is a bed and a shower, you might consider The Donard Hotel, 5 mins from the course.

Aidan.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 05:41:37 PM »
You now have the two best options layed out for you.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 06:07:02 PM »
The last time I played RCD was in 1984. We stayed at the Slieve Donard Hotel which was more than adequate. However, what struck me as odd there was this enormous disco in the basement that had more stobes and sound stuff  than you would see at a Stones concert. It would take a helluva lot more people to fill the place than one could find nearby.

Bob

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 07:54:58 PM »
Another vote for the Slieve Donard.  They are either adding or renovating right now.  Had a great time there and it was very nice.  One bad thing is that the windows dont open very much and if its warm bring a small fan with you.  The course is right across the sidewalk from the course and it was awesome to walk out there in the evening and check it out

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 09:01:59 PM »
Keith:

If you are looking for something at the other end of the price spectrum you may want to look into the Brier's Country House.  At less than £30 per night it is a bargain.
http://www.thebriers.co.uk/

I stayed there in 2005.  As you would expect for the rate, the rooms were modest, however they were also suprisingly large, and most importantly, clean.  The family that owns and operates it was very friendly and welcoming.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 09:43:25 PM »
I've been to the Slieve Donard and the Donard Hotel. Both are nice with the Donard being considerably less expensive (and not as nice). If was going and had time to plan then it would be a B&B.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 11:16:35 PM »
We have booked rooms at the Kilmorey Arms in Kilkeel for the Walker Cup next year.

http://www.kilmoreyarmshotel.co.uk/

Anybody thinking about the Walker Cup needs to book soon, rooms were tight months ago.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 03:48:50 AM »

Most of the trip is tentatively planned, but he has no idea regarding lodgine around Royal County Down.

Thanks,

Keith.

Keith:
Currently I am in Ireland and heading to RCD tonight and will be staying at the Slieve Donard Hotel will give you an update tomorrow.
Best
Dave

Dave_Miller

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 03:43:59 AM »

Most of the trip is tentatively planned, but he has no idea regarding lodging around Royal County Down.

Thanks,

Keith.

Keith:
Just spent the pasttwo nights at the Slieve Donard Hotel.  It is an outstanding facility, good food, good rooms, etc.  With the additional advantage of being able to walk out the door to the first tee of Royal County Down.
Enjoy.
Best
Dave

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back