News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Anticlimax......
« on: September 28, 2006, 11:57:36 PM »
Is there a greater anticlimax to a round of golf than facing the 18th at Cypress Point?

Bob

RJ_Daley

Re:Anticlimax......
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 12:03:48 AM »
Perhaps this was the genius of "the Good Dr.'s" melding of medicine and golf design for healthful living.  Perhaps he thought that after the excitement of the previous 3 holes, the heart and mind needed a short respite and short leisurely walk in to get calmed down and reflect on the experience.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 12:17:19 AM »
I believe the Dr. and Mr. Hunter toyed w/ the idea of building a tee on the rocks in the middle of the water behind the existing tee complete w/ bridge to reach it, but decided against it because the inclimate weather would've destroyed the bridge in no time. But oh to think about how that would've looked and played!

But I agree, perhaps the Dr. decided to softly end the crescendo of the previous three, sort of like a Wagner piece.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Steve Burrows

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 01:08:06 AM »
But why, after 17 holes, the last three of which are absolutely breathtaking, did he do such a thing?  The notion of a soft denouement to the round seems wasteful and apologetic.

Could it be that he made an error in the entire routing and just ran out of real estate?  Could it be that the Good Doctor made a mistake?
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

peter_p

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 03:00:48 AM »
He was just trying to say the clubhouse is in the wrong place. :)

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 03:02:17 AM »
The bigger anticlimax - certainly for a non-member who can't expect to play the course again soon, if at all - is finishing the 18th hole and realising that you're done with Cypress Point! ;)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 04:04:16 AM »
Given where 17 ends, did Mac have some other, better options for 18?  

Steve Burrows

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 06:37:37 AM »
" Given where 17 ends, did Mac have some other, better options for 18?"

This assumes that the first 17 holes had to happen in the way that they do.  So, yes, there was, and always is, another option.  Right?  
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

ForkaB

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 07:36:49 AM »
Bob

Have you ever parred that hole? ;)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 08:14:14 AM »
As someone who has only played it once, I was not disappointed. Mostly because I had no expectations, but also because of the uniqueness of the hole. I have never seen anything like it before or since.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

James Bennett

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 08:26:34 AM »
Has the option of making the last a dogleg left been considered, finishing below the clubhouse rather than up to the right of it? Not sure whether the land would suit, but it would retain the ocean linkage at the finish withouy destroying the clubhouse view.  I was too much in awe and mentally tired after 15-16-17 to have a good look.  In fact I remember very little of #18.

That said, I think most here would be very happy to play #18 again as it is!

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 08:34:29 AM »
In a gambling game with friends..which would have the greatest shot dispersion, the 18th at TOC or the 18th above....thus making one hole less of an anticlimax than the other.  Please do not assume double on birdies for this answer.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 08:45:27 AM »
If the 18th had been completely different and in a different location, would we be wondering why the final stretch didn't make better use of the coast?  Can you imagine a better use of the challenging, rugged beauty that is 15-17?

I've also only played it once, but I didn't think the 18th was all that bad.  From my perspective, it just seemed the natural way to get back to the clubhouse.  It demanded your full attention on the tee shot and approach, and it seemed to penalize any half-committed shots.  I'm sure some people get into a lot of trouble around that green - I was fortunate enough to get a lucky bounce out of the surrounding Cypress trees and escape with no harm, but it could have easily gone the other way.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 08:46:31 AM »
Has the option of making the last a dogleg left been considered, finishing below the clubhouse rather than up to the right of it?

James,

Interesting thought. If the 18th were to dogleg slightly to the left, there would be room for a 365-370 yard par four finishing beneath the clubhouse. The terrain remains a question mark, but there is certainly enough room without causing a safety concern from the 17th. Further, the new hole wouldn't have to dogleg sharply at the akward 225 yard mark like the present hole creating more options from the tee.

TK
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 08:48:22 AM by Tyler Kearns »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 08:53:00 AM »
Bob, I agree 18 is the low point of the course. However, 18 has a wonderful green complex and occasionally gives one an interesting run up or low punch 2nd shot. The view back from the green is second to none in golf as well.

Brad Klein

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 08:55:10 AM »
There has never been a good reverse camber uphole hole in the history of golf. Oh well. MacKenzie batted .944 on that project.

ForkaB

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 08:59:43 AM »
Brad

Have you ever played Olympic? :o  As for 18 CPC, you would have to carry your drive 320+ to be affected by any "reverse camber."

I will agree that the hole is uphill.

James Bennett

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 09:02:17 AM »
Tyler

the land has a strong slope to it - so I'm not sure what is possible.  I'm no archie.

Here is a photo of the view from the vicinity of such a green if #18 doglegged left.  The ugly 'gnome' in the foreground has been removed in real life.  

James B

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 09:03:15 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Paul_Turner

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 09:05:13 AM »
Prestwick 18?

15-17 at Prestwick are as good as Cypress?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 09:40:03 AM »
Is there a greater anticlimax to a round of golf than facing the 18th at Cypress Point?

Bob

Yes, playing it and hacking your way home (hitting the tree twice) with an 8.

ForkaB

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2006, 09:42:14 AM »
Prestwick 18?

15-17 at Prestwick are as good as Cypress?

Now that I think if it, Paul--yes.  Maybe even better!

However, for all its faults, 18 CPC is better than 18 at PGC....
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 09:42:46 AM by Rich Goodale »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2006, 10:05:28 AM »
Reading this, at first I thought Rich "16 CPC is just a simple driver to the right side, no big deal, and I'm gonna steel Tom Paul's idea again and say the course would be better reversed" Goodale was on one of his anti-Cypress kicks again... but then thinking about it....

Damn, Prestwick 15-16-17 are three DAMN good golf holes.  it's not completely insane to say they're as good as 15-16-17 Cypress, maybe better.  I personally would say they are maybe as good... but if someone makes the argument Prestwick's are better, I won't press it.  They're in the ballpark anyway.

Which gets us to anticlimactic 18ths... Man I have never gotten why people are so against 18 CPC.  As Rich asks, how many have made a par there?  I think I'm one for 6.  It's a weird hole for sure, but it's also not an easy golf hole.

Prestwick 18 is very simple - if one wants to say it's like TOC 18 in that you expect a 3 and somehow don't get it, well I can buy that.  But it also has no valley of sin or the like.  It's a pretty simple hole, and to me the most anticlimactic after three previous great ones.

It's funny but I look forward to playing 18 CPC... it's a very tough tee shot and then even if you succeed, a very challenging 2nd.  I'd never call it a great hole, but I sure wouldn't call it a bad one.  If it is anticlimactic - and in many ways it is - it's just due to the greatness of the previous 3, 4, 5, 6, hell 17.

TH
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 10:06:18 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2006, 10:25:29 AM »

Bob, it's nothing a sharp chain saw couldn't cure!  ::)

Brad Klein

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2006, 10:26:03 AM »
Rich Goodale, only 4-5 times at Olympic, which is why I feel confident saying what I did.

ForkaB

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2006, 10:49:10 AM »
Huck

I thought I stole that idea from you!

Brad

As HL Mencken may or may not have said, confidence is the next to last resort of scoundrels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back