News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hoak

Building A Younger Club Membership
« on: September 25, 2006, 12:01:15 PM »
I visited several clubs in the Washington DC area (primarily Northern Virginia) in an effort to narrow down choices for a private club membership.  I was amazed by the large initiation fees at several local clubs.  I expect large initiation fees at traditional clubs such as Congressional and Columbia, but marginal (and that is being generous) courses were charging $30K or more.

I am a 31 year old guy with a decent salary, but a 2-year old daughter and considerable daycare expenses.  The monthly dues are well within my reach but many of the initiation fees are not.

Do many clubs offer junior memberships aimed at younger golfers.  I can not imagine that many 30-year old people have the funds to pay $50K plus initiation fees.  I have found that very few clubs in this area offer such a membership unless your parent is a member.  

A member at one local club that I talked to lamented that the average age of the membership at his club is approximately 60 years old.  I'm certain that his club's $60K initiation fee may have something to do with that.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 12:01:50 PM by Mike Hoak »

Brian Joines

Re:Building A Younger Club Membership
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 12:45:36 PM »
Most of the courses in my area do offer payment plans for Junior Members. These plans make it possible for younger members to afford the initiation fees by paying it off over 10 or 15 years. Some also offer junior members discounted annual dues.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 12:53:26 PM »
Have you tried Chartwell, Manor, or CC at Woodmore? They are in MD.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Hoak

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 01:11:11 PM »
Tommy,

One of my clients has taken me out to Woodmore on several occasions and I really like the course.  I live in Vienna, so that drive around the Beltway up to Landover is a little longer than I am looking for.  I'll check out the other courses though.  Thanks for the tip.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 01:23:14 PM »
Mike,

In an effort to promote younger members, my home club cut the initiation fee by 50% for those under age 30, and allowed that fee to be paid over 10 years. Further, annual dues are reduced for full members under the age of 35. Most clubs in my area have similar structures to ensure the older ranks are being replaced by people who will be joining for 20-30 years. Obviously we live in drastically different areas, as our maximum initiation fee is a mere $6,000, and perhaps there are enough wealthy 30-somethings in DC to not require such actions.

TK
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 01:23:34 PM by Tyler Kearns »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 01:42:49 PM »
I joined Crystal Downs 18 years ago under a similar junior membership program.  The initiation fee was reduced to 1/2 price and payable over several years, plus junior members only had to pay half dues ... with the combination it was as if I paid no initiation fee at all.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 01:46:56 PM »
Tom,

Everytime an architect, golf writer or rater writes out a check for monthly dues and angel gets his wings.  I'm surprised you are not yet the in house consultant for free dues in return.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 02:05:22 PM »
I visited several clubs in the Washington DC area (primarily Northern Virginia) in an effort to narrow down choices for a private club membership.  I was amazed by the large initiation fees at several local clubs.  I expect large initiation fees at traditional clubs such as Congressional and Columbia, but marginal (and that is being generous) courses were charging $30K or more.

I am a 31 year old guy with a decent salary, but a 2-year old daughter and considerable daycare expenses.  The monthly dues are well within my reach but many of the initiation fees are not.

Do many clubs offer junior memberships aimed at younger golfers.  I can not imagine that many 30-year old people have the funds to pay $50K plus initiation fees.  I have found that very few clubs in this area offer such a membership unless your parent is a member.  

A member at one local club that I talked to lamented that the average age of the membership at his club is approximately 60 years old.  I'm certain that his club's $60K initiation fee may have something to do with that.

Mike:
While there are many clubs that do offer a break in dues and initiation for Junior Members most clubs I know of restrict it to the sons and daughters of members.

I know of one Phoenix area Club that offers a very good deal to persons under age 40.

In the Boston area where I live I don't know of any clubs that offer this to someone not related to a member.  It is a problem and the reason the average age is rising.

Best
Dave

Robert Gusick

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 02:39:01 PM »
20 years ago, my club didn't have a "reasonable" junior golf membership program, and the aging population definately reflected it.  We surveyed other clubs in the area, and came up with a program that really revitalized the club.  (All juniors get the same break; no special deal for legacies, other than making it easier to get in!).  I forget the details, but under a certain age one is exempt from initiation (with a three year pro-ration as one nears the cutoff for regular membership).  There is also a break on dues, and a cap on the number of junior members.

I believe that we went from 1 junior member before these changes, to a waiting list, in a very short time.

Though there has been some problem with people dropping out when the dues bump up, many of the junior members stay on, and are active users of all the club facilities (often playing 36 a day), which helps keep a strong caddy program, and fully-utilized kitchen.

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 05:49:15 PM »
Mike - At my Club we call the type of Membership category you are referring to an Associate.  Typically age ranges from 21 - 36 and the initiation fees are a subset of the more substantial Regular Member fees.  We do allow for payments to be spread over time.  At the time of election to Regular status the difference between what was paid at the time of acceptance and the current initiation is due.  Dues are tiered in 3 categories within the 21 - 36 year bands.  Each band has a structure that increases as you move up the bands.  In addition a portion of the dues is credited to offset the bond when election to Regular status is achieved.  I hope this helps.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

David Mulle

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 06:01:36 PM »
At my club they made a concerted effort to attract more young members.  It is done through a combination of reducing initiation fees and annual dues.

I joined when I was 26 and there is no way I could have managed to do that if I had to pay full freight.

It has worked.  There is a very solid group of younger members and that in turn has helped to continue attracting other young members.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 04:59:28 PM by David Mulle »

David Stamm

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 06:38:16 PM »
Mike, in my area, clubs are really desperate to bring in young blood. Almost all offer junior or associate memberships w/ reduced intiation fee's and lower monthly dues. some will defer the majority of the initiation fee until after the member turns 40.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 09:12:02 PM »
We too have a junior membership, called Associate Preferred.  Those under 35 pay 10K, have reduced dues until age 35, and upon reaching 35 must pony up the difference between the 10K and the full initiation fee at the time they joined.  However, all dues paid up until that time are also credited toward the initiation fee.  If you join early enough, you pay very little when you switch to regular membership.  There are also very few restrictions on play or rights.  Needless to say, when folks find out about it it is very popular.

Jeff Goldman
That was one hellacious beaver.

Mike Hoak

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 09:37:06 PM »
Based on everyones comments, it sounds like I need to move.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 09:39:20 PM »
We too have an under 35 membership and it's exactly what clubs that want younger members in our area need to do.  Legacies have sweetheart deals at most clubs and that's a priviledge of membership, our children will benefit from that, however clubs that want younger folks need to attract non-legacies too.  

Junior memberships are the way to go in that department.    

JohnV

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 08:27:04 AM »

Mike, out here in Pittsburgh, almost every club is dropping initiations way down and in some case eliminating them for anyone who walks in the door.  Of course, the biggies like Oakmont and Fox Chapel are not, but most others are.

A member of our board was telling us yesterday how his club will create a new class of membership for anyone who has any kind of special need.  For example, one guy who is only here for 3 months in the summer got a deal on that.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 08:30:04 AM »
The only key to negotiating a membership deal for yourself is that you need to keep it to yourself...

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 08:57:00 AM »
move to scotland and pay $1,000 or less initiation to join some of the best clubs in the country...

...i realise this comment probably isn't helpful

Michael Moore

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 12:01:54 PM »

I'll throw another on the pile - a very nice private course down the road from me in southern Maine is 6K to join and 2.5K per year. Can't afford that? Take a "social" membership for 3K and 1K per year until you can afford the rest. Pay $25 a round, host a few guests per month, and no playing weekends before 11.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Lou_Duran

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 12:55:41 PM »
I posed the same question 25 years ago to a well known member of Brook Hollow Golf Club in Dallas during a local competition.  His reply was that there were plenty of "kids" my age who had the wherewithal to plump down the money.  I asked him if these were primarily rich legacies, and he replied that they were from a variety of backgrounds.  He then asked me what type of car I owned which drove home the point that it really comes down to priorities.  Think of the initiation fee as a downpayment to be amortized over a life's worth of experiences.  I regret having been too conservative and passing on a couple of great opportunities.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 01:04:01 PM »
Lou - great post!

Would you rather drive a fancy $50K car or be a member at a club where you can have fun, meet wonderful new people, and enjoy the world's greatest game?

My parents are both in their mid-upper 70's.  Both have Parkinsons, arthritis, various ailments, etc..  They both told us not to live solely for retirement and to enjoy life while you can.  It's darn good advice.

Is a membership at a private golf club a good financial investment?   For 99% of us, absolutely not - but it can be one of the most rewarding things you ever do for yourself.

And John K is absolutely correct.  Membership terms are like your salary - something that should be kept confidential.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 01:06:06 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 01:11:00 PM »

Mike, out here in Pittsburgh, almost every club is dropping initiations way down and in some case eliminating them for anyone who walks in the door.  Of course, the biggies like Oakmont and Fox Chapel are not, but most others are.

Very timely story on this exact point (lifted from Geoff's site):

PA Private Clubs article

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 09:02:05 PM »
Central and Eastern PA too.   :'(

Even Moselem Springs is advertising for members on WFMZ and we just received 2 post cards today - one from Moselem and one from C&C's Hidden Creek (NJ)

Mike Hoak

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 12:19:46 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice.  I have actually discovered that one of the nicer clubs about 25 minutes from my home has a junior membership available with a significantly reduced initiation fee (but not dues unfortunately).  My wife and I are headed there for a tour in two weeks.

I have noticed that clubs in this area are making a concerted effort to target families.  The clubs inside or near the Beltway are still predominantly expense account driven, but the clubs further out of the city are beginning to actively market programs for kids and activities for non-golfing wives.  This change in focus is certainly making it far easier to sell my wife on club membership.  I also find it interesting that virtually every club in the area has openings besides the obvious suspects.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back