News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jg7236

Mecca of Golf
« on: September 07, 2006, 09:49:18 PM »
Good Evening To All:

As some of you are aware, others maybe not, my father and I went to Scotland on our dream golf trip from past August 26-September 4th.  

We had a great time on our trip.  It was everything we expected and much more.  The monetary exchange rate really hurts in the UK.  Everything is so expensive due to the poor exchange rate from the US dollar to the UK pound.

Below I will list my scores, where we played, weather, etc.  I wanted to list my scores first and then give you my opinion on each golf course. That way you will realize it isn't the score that made me feel one way or another about a particular golf course in Scotland.

New Course=92  
(The weather was over cast, slightly windy by US  standard, not by Scotland standards, and some drizzle of rain off and on through the entire round.)

Old Course=94
(The weather was over cast, slightly windy by US  standard, not by Scotland standards, and some drizzle of rain off and on through the entire round.)

Carnoustie=82
(Slightly windy and some sun)

Balbounie Park Golf Club-Match play with local Fife resident and golfclubatlas observer Martin Bonnar and his boss.  We played about 12 holes until it got dark.  This was a great inland golf course with plenty of tree lined fairways and plenty of elevation change.  Martin, thanks again for all of your hospitality at your golf club.  We would love to host you sometime when you come to the states.  I don't know if we can afford buying your drinks again, damn, you must of been really thirsty that night.

Gullane=89
(65 mph winds, some drizzle, and a downpour.  The most extreme conditions we endured while in Scotland.  My Father got a hole in one on #9.  A 162 par 3 in to the wind with the North Sea behind the green.)

Kingsbarns=82
(Overcast, drizzle through the entire round, and some wind)

All the golf course were great to play.  Each one was extremely different from one another, which was great.  The New Course and Old Course were extremely hard, as  you can see by my score.  The courses had beautiful bunkers with plenty of mounding and obstacles to get to the green.  I was in awe most of the round.  I wasn't hitting the ball bad at all.  The undulating greens and bunkers killed me.  The greens weren't rolling to quick at all.  I wish I could of played both of those courses again because I would of played completely different.  To let you know I was hitting the ball just fine.  On 17 I wrapped my ball around the Old Course Hotel right in the middle of the fairway and I got a 8 on that hole.  On 18 I melted my drive past the road about 40 or so yards from the green and I got a 5.  

On the first tee of the Old Course my right legged started shaking.  I was so nervous with the crowd all around me while I teed off.  Luckily both of us hit descent shots down the fairway.  It was really something to play the Old Course.  A course that has so much history and has been around for like 500 or so years.  

Carnoustie was just OK in my books.  There was nothing that really stood out to me to make this course better than one another.  It just seemed ordinary to me.  Most great courses one plays, one can remeber a few holes.  I can't really remember very much, just 17 and 18 because we were almost finished.  It feels good to shoot an 82 that could of been a 79 and the British Open is playing there next year.

Balbournie Park was really fun.  I didn't realize Scotland had inland golf courses with tree lined fairways.  I felt like I was back in Ohio on this course.  The course had a great layout.  The greens rolled just fine and plenty of interesting holes that one could see the pin flag but not the green.  Martin Bonnar really took care of us.

Gullane had great views of the North Sea throughout the entire round.  The course had lots of elevation change.  The first nine was pretty tight.  The back nine opened up a bit. The rough was high, high and rough.  It was so windy out there when we played we had to take in consideration of the wind while we putted.  The topper was my Dad getting a hole in one on #9. That was fantastic!  The only bad thing about it.  The Gullane staff and golf pro's didn't know what we should do to register the hole in one.  The acted like it was no big deal.  I guess they have had a few hole in ones in the 160 or so years they have been open.  We had plenty of drinks that night.

Kingsbarns was fantastic.  The golf course staff was unbelievable!  The course had great views through the entire round.  I can't believe the course is only like 6 years old.  The layout was fabulous.

If any of you write travels books or you are Alan Ferguson, one needs to comment in these books about food in St. Andrews.  We had a lot of trouble trying to get food.  If we missed our breakfast at our bed and breakfast because we teed off early no restaurants opened for food until 12pm.  For dinner most places one needed reservations so we would have to go to a local bar and have many drinks before we could finally eat at 9pm or later.  No food is served past 10pm.  I found a great pizza place that serves food pretty late.  I forgot the name, probably because I was probably pretty drunk by that time of night.

While on my trip I met golfclubatlas observer Mickey Boland from Texas and his 3 good friends.  By chance we were all on the same flight out to Scotland and back.  It was really great meeting you Mickey and your comrades.  Make sure you call me when you come out to Vegas in October.

I also ran into another golfclubatlas observer from Northern California Scott Clem.  I knew he was over in Scotland the same time as I was but I didn't get a chance to speak with him before he left.  My Dad went home early one evening and I was still ready to go out and have a few more pints.  I was walking down an alley and I happened to run into Scott and his buddy.  It was good to see you Scott.  How was the rest of your trip?

I know many of you have posted questions on posting pictures.  Can someone let me know how to do this and I will post some pictures for all of you to browse thru.

I got to run, I hope you all have a great evening and I will talk to you soon.

Cheers,

John

« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 12:25:08 PM by John N. Gunning IV »

Bill_McBride

Re:Mecca of Golf
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 11:21:08 PM »
That is great you met Scott Clem.   :D  I only met him once, played a round with him at Pasatiempo during Kings Putter II.  He had six birdies!  I love to watch good players making those birdies.

Scotland is so fun, envy you the time there.  You can get decent food almost any time in the pubs in St. Andrews, no need to get stuck waiting for a restaurant.

I had to miss a round with FBD at Balbournie Park after the 2005 Open, it does sound like fun and look forward to next time.

Tom Roewer

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 06:55:17 AM »
John:  I'm so glad to here of Balburnie House.  I stayed there with some members on a trip - what a great place!  We played a 36 hole match with their members.  After a night of incredible partying we were piped of the first tee in a beautiful Scottish mist.  Happy that you liked it.  The next day we went up to Ladybank, another really good treelined course.  It defends itself well as an Open qualifier for S.A.O.

ForkaB

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 07:00:37 AM »
Y'all are getting closer, but it's Balbirnie, and a fine course it is.

Just had to intervene before Martin exploded from courteous apoplexy......

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 08:15:31 AM »
Thanks Rich,
I was considering carrying out an ongoing experiment to see just how many variations of the name our dear colonial cousins could conjour. (Dear oh dear, how I become more alliterative as I age - see I did it again!) I just loved Cyprus Pointe, Passiontiempoe and Mon tres Penile Sheila when I played 'em.

Balbirnie - for it is she - is of course correct. We must golf it soonly together...

Good to hear that Gunnings 3 and 4 enjoyed their trip and have returned home safely. During the round, John rather neatly tested us on our botanical knowledge but luckily asked us about trees we knew! John - repeat after me: Sorbus aucuparia, Araucaria araucana and Cordyline australis... ;)

On the culinary note, I was only too happy to guide the boys to the MickeyD's closest to BALBIRNIE after the game. Luckily. it is a mere 5 minute drive. I can only hope it met with the strict Gunning family standards.

I'm Lovin' it!
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

jg7236

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 03:18:52 PM »
Martin,

Sorry about misspelling your golf club.  My Dad and I enjoyed your McDonald's.  McDonald's is good anywhere after a few pints and driving on the wrong side of the road in Scotalnd.

I will email you some pictures when I get a chance.

Adam,

Thanks for the email, I will try to post some pictures very soon.

ed_getka

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 04:46:50 PM »
John,
  Thanks for sharing about your trip. What did your Dad think of the courses?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

jg7236

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 06:44:23 PM »
Ed,

My dad loved all the courses except Carnoustie.  He couldn't believe they are going to have the 2007 British Open on that course.  He thought the course was just mediocre and very over priced.

He of course loved the New Course and Old Course, and Gullane.  His favorite besides the Old Coure and New Course was Kingsbarns.  The loved the layout and the condition of the course, and he thought the golf staff was unbelievable.

Do you know where he needs to register his hole in one at Gullane?

He had trouble driving on the wrong side of the road, that was a big problem.  I don't think I could of done any better.

Cheers,

John

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 07:30:59 PM »
Excellent. I look forward to having that experience one day with my sons.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 10:13:12 AM »

I've posted these photos for John.

Here's one that looks like a blast to shoot.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 10:33:43 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

jg7236

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 10:28:45 AM »
Thanks a lot Adam.

1-Carnoustie
2-Hell's Bunkers Old Course
3-New Course
4-Kingsbarns
5-My Dad chipping at Kingsbarns
6-Myself driving the ball at Kingsbarns
7-Myself finishing the Old Course

Jim Franklin

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 10:33:41 AM »
No picture of the hole-in-one?
Mr Hurricane

jg7236

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 10:34:52 AM »
I have a picture or two.  If Adam gets a chance maybe he could post it for me.

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 10:48:13 AM »
John:

Thanks for your report.  I leave for Scotland in a month and you played some of the courses I am scheduled to play so your thoughts are of particular interest to me.  One questions...in his new book, Jim Finegan writes something to the effect that unless there is a proclaimed break, about 80% of the putts on the Old Course are straight.  Did you (or anyone else who has played there) find that to be the case?

Andy
All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

ForkaB

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 11:45:37 AM »
Andy

That's a bizarre statement from Mr. Finnegan.  It MIGHT be true IF he is talking about short putts (3-5 feet) AND he is talking about the pin positions used for visitor play.  For long putts to any pin position or even short putts to the Open pin positions the statment is definitely not true.  IMHO.

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 12:21:42 PM »
Rich:

I read it as a general statement without any qualifiers.  Though I don't have the book in front of me, I believe that he was referring to putts of all length.
All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

jg7236

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 03:13:48 PM »
If that is true about 80% of the putts on the Old Course are straight.  I am a idiot and that is why I shot such a high score.

80% of the putts aren't straight by any means.  Hell some of the 2-5 putts have breaks.

ForkaB

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 04:01:32 PM »
John

With that swing of yours posted above, I'm astonished that you didn't shoot in the low 70's in all of your rounds :o

jg7236

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 04:14:32 PM »
Thanks Rich, you are too kind.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 04:16:07 PM »

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

jg7236

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 06:14:54 PM »
Thanks Adam.

1-Gullane #9 my father got a hole in one
2-My father picking his ball up from the cup
3-Hanging out with golfclubatlas.com lurker Scott Clem in St. Andrews.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 11:54:08 PM »

jg7236

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2006, 12:44:15 AM »
Thanks again Adam!  This is a picture of myself with golfclubatlas.com lurker Mickey from Southern Texas.

jg7236

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2006, 05:54:15 PM »
Good Afternoon:

I am currently posting my scores on GHIN from my trip.  I can't seem to find the slope and course rating for the Old Course, New Course, and Gullane.  I have Kingsbarns and Carnoustie.

Does anybody have this info so that I could finish posting my scores?

Thanks again,

John

David Sneddon

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2006, 10:04:42 AM »
Good Afternoon:

I am currently posting my scores on GHIN from my trip.  I can't seem to find the slope and course rating for the Old Course, New Course, and Gullane.  I have Kingsbarns and Carnoustie.
Does anybody have this info so that I could finish posting my scores?

IIRC the Old is 71.4 with a slope of 128

I have the scorecards for both Old and New somewhere around here.  I'll see if I can dig them up later this afternoon and post a more authoritive rating/slope.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back