News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

The Brilliance of Ballyneal
« on: August 25, 2006, 06:46:47 PM »
In my most recently concluded travels to the west I had the pleasure in playing Ballyneal -- Tom Doak's stunning creation in the town of Holyoke -- roughly 2 1/2 hours northeast of Denver and near to I-76.

What amazes me in driving to Holyoke you see nothing but flat and uninspiring terrain. If I had not seen photos of the course from this site and others I would have been wondering what all the fuss was about.

Once you leave the town of Holyoke you drive for a few miles on two different county roads. It was at this point that I could make out distinct mounds and hills in the nearby distance. As you come closer to the actual site you drive on a dirt road for the final five miles and at this point you begin to sense something is present on the far side of the mounds encountered

Once you enter the grounds of the club you begin to understand the magic of what the course provides. The various holes are not all present visibly when you come near to the clubhouse. Many of them reside in natural folds in the property and like a good book await to be discovered when playing.

Right up front -- I have played 10 Tom Doak courses and Ballyneal is on par, if not slightly more exciting than Pac Dunes which I have played. However, my Doak course listing does not include his efforts down under in Australia / New Zealand or his co-effort with Jack Nicklaus at Sebonack which I will likely play in a few weeks time.

Given the fondness many have for Pacific Dunes -- including myself -- I know I am saying much when I equate Ballyneal at or above that level but I hope to offer as much detail as I can in the analysis to follow.

During the course of my visit I had the good fortune to have a gal by the name of Maeghan Bishop serve as my caddie. The joy of Sebonack is that walking is front and center at the course as carts are persona non grata.

The practice range is still being created so one can hit balls on the 1st tee out to an open field located between the 1st and 9th fairways.

Maeghan is attending college in nearby Kansas and had completed the caddy training program the course offers. I don't know if she ever looped for a guy from Juuursee but her affable nature was indeed a good mix for the clearing skies and the moderate wind that blew during my round there.

Turf conditions were also decent given the lack of rain the area has encountered. The greens were also a good bit slower than those encountered at Pradera which I played the day prior.

With no further delay, a hole-by-hole assessment.

One other thought -- my round featured the prevailing sw winds and varied anywhere from 5-15 mph.

1st hole / 382 yards / par-4

IMHO, the best Doak starting hole I have played. Unlike the blah opening tee shot at Stone Eagle the opener at Ballyneal is quite impressive from both a strategic and land perspective. The hole is slightly uphill and the hole aligns on an angle from the back tees.

The most immediate feature that Maeghan pointed out to me is the right fairway bunker which is roughly 315 yards or thereabouts from the tee. I played a drive towards the left center of the bunker and natural contour of the land moved the ball back towards the middle of the fairway and left me with roughly 50 yards to the green.

What one doesn't see from the back tee is how well done is another fairway bunker that lurks on the left side. If the player hits an overcooked draw this bunker will grab you so swiftly and what looked like a birdie hole will quickly become a bogey or worse.

The green is neatly divided into different sections so your approach has to be precise if birdie is indeed a part of one's agenda.

Of course, the player can opt for less than driver to avoid these bunkers. If I played a second round there I would likely opt in that direction with either a 1-iron or 3-metal.

A solid opening act indeed.

2nd hole / 490 yards / par-4

As you walk up the hill to the 2nd tee my mind was racing thinking what this hole would offer. Maeghan asked me to wait till I arrived at the back tee location before looking down the fairway.

As I turned I could see that indeed the game was on at Ballyneal. The fairway offers more movement than a rough day in the North Atlantic. Doak provides a fairway that bobs and weave better than most middleweights. Fortunately, for me I nailed one of my best tee shots with a slight draw.

I had roughly 130 yards into the target and fortunately for me the pin placement was front left. I was able to snuggle a PW to roughly 15 feet and dropped the putt.

I have to add that placements on this rather large green can vary club selection immensely. Also, should the wind come from the N / NW then it's length will become even more of an issue.

The 2nd certainly merits its 3 handicap position on the card and is on par with the likes of other long Doak par-4 holes I have played such as the 18th at Stone Eagle, to name just one example.

3rd hole / 145 yards / par-3

Likely, the weakest of the four par-3 holes at Ballyneal. The hole provides the Doak-like look with plenty of unnatural visual appeal but the shot with a short iron is merely mechanical rather than magical in its requirements.

The key element is making sure you don't allow your tee shot to drift towards the right. There are a few bunkers that inhabit that area and anything that leaks that way will become a house guest with no-welcome mat (no pun intended!) offered.

4th hole / 573 yards / par-5

Well done par-5 that provides a stunning look at the entire property -- and if memory serves -- from the highest point on the property.

Maeghan indicated to me that hitting fade would work best even though the fairway is quite wide. The proper side to finish on is the left as it allows the entire hole to open up. I was able to finish on that side and have roughly 235 yards to the hole.

I played a four-iron but the ball was not hit soundly and finished in the deep right hand greenside bunker. The pin was cut in the left rear and in order to hit it close I needed to hit a 30-yard bunker shot. My effort was for naught -- and I two-putted from 45 feet for par.

The 4th is a good risk and reward type hole. It requires you to decide at the tee what type of line of attack will work best. The decison on the 2nd shot is also well crafted because the slightest push with a long approach will gather towards the bunker complex I reached.

5th hole / 165 yards / par-3

Much more demanding hole than the 3rd. The tee shot is dictated by the pin placement. The day I played the pin was cut tight just over a frontal bunker -- a treat indeed. The green complex is also much more sophisticated and failure to keep your approach relatively near the hole can mean a likely three-putt.

6th hole / 480 yards / par-4

At the 6th hou turn back towards the SW and the wind greets you warmly but tenaciously.

Maeghan pointed out a single tower off in the distance to play at and it does provide an aiming point because the tee doesn't afford a clear view of the fairway. One cannot miss left here because you then face any number of daunting obstacles from high grass to a neatly placed bunker that interjects itself quite well.

You can hit further right but all that does is increase the approach distance and leaves a more demanding angle.
One other thing to note -- the fairway has plenty of movement and if you can catch a draw from the tee (right handed players) it can run out for additional distance.

Last item -- the green is slightly elevated and anything that moves right had best hit the target because of a fall-off on that side. A solid par-4 that has plenty of muscle and challenge.

I have to split now -- but the next six holes will follow on this grand layout.

Wayne Freeman

Re:The Brilliance of Ballyneal
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 12:30:47 AM »
Matt-  thanks for the info.  A couple of friends of mine have played there and thought it was fantastic.  
  Interestingly enough, your comments about how the terrain just surfaced out of nowhere reminded me of my experience going to Prairie Dunes-  you are in the middle of Kansas driving mile after mile on dead flat land, and all of a sudden you turn off the highway and are into a different world-  you think you're in the highlands of Scotland.  The sudden contrast was amazing and of course Prairie Dunes is one of our country's most hidden gems.  

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 12:54:48 AM »
Matt,
   Thanks for sharing. The Pac Dunes comparison is nice, but what inquiring minds want to know is how it stacks up to Sand Hills? :) Sounds like you had a nice trip.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike Policano

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 07:47:01 AM »
Matt, your caddy has looped for a Jersey guy before.  Can you comment on how the firm and fast fairway conditions gave you different shot options.  Also, while 3 was the easiest par 3, do you think the elevated tee, open surroundings making it susceptible to wind and the internal contours on the green provide more challenge than it may appear?

Thanks

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 10:49:19 AM »
Ed:

I know where you are headed for the Sand Hills / Ballyneal discussion and I'm prepared to write on it when time allows. A little mysery goes a longway for now partner. ;D

Wayne:

Agree on the terrain situation you mentioned / re: Prairie Dunes. When you arrive in Holyoke you truly have to scratch your head and ask if you made the right call. That clearly changes when you finaly access the property and stand on the 1st tee with game set to begin.

Ballyneal reminded me of the land you find at Lahinch and Ballybuinion -- the hole just seem to emerge from the wonderful folds and creases the northeast Ciolorado landscape provides.

Mike P:

Glad to hear the Jersey contingent has ventured to Ballyneal. Maeghan is a great gal and added immeasruably to my time there.

The conditions were not at top firm and fast speeds. The reason? A good bit of the turf is still coming around and much of that is due to the severe drought that has impacted the overall region. I would say that a year from now the ultimate combiantion of firm and fast will be present.

You do get a good bit of rollout on a number of holes and clearly that situation will only develop more so in the time ahead.

You are quite correct about the open conditions that are faced at the 3rd hole. Unfortunately, I believe the 3rd hole is an indicator that just because you can make a certain "look" which Doak and his team are skillful at in creating, however, the "play" aspect is just not as rigorous as one finds with the other par-3 holes at Ballyneal IMHO.

The next three holes ...

7th hole / 352 yards / par-4

Obviously, the 7th has drawn a fair amount of attention. It is Doak's attempt to provide a possible driveable short par-4 and the 7th at Ballyneal is indeed a 19th hole conversation piece.

Fortunately, for me I walked up to the far right side where the front tees are located to scan closely at what the landscape offered.

The clear option is to play the safe right side and leave yourself anywhere from 100-125 yards to the target, The hole does turn left and there are directional bunkers on that side that are more for a guide than in catching the tee ball of the better / longer player.

I wanted to see what would happen in going for the green. My first tee ball was pushed a bit right and eventually found the frontal bunker that guards that side of the green. This is a serious bunker and one not to trifle with -- especially when the pin is cut towards the far back of the green.

I did reach the front third of the green. The key issue when playing the hole aggressively is to attack the left side. You have more room than you think when on the tee. So long as you carry the bunkers on the corner there is a sufficient "ramp" for the ball to propel towards the green.

The worst situation is to push your tee ball to the right. You can either catch the right greenside bunker or worse yet -- finish up on the hillside to the right and get any type of lie imagineable.

The greensite is well done. Shaped like a boomerrang you need to be pinpoint on where you land. The green flows with a heavy left-to-right tilt and it's possible for someone on the front right to access a back left position simply by using the contours provided.

The 7th is a fine hole because it follows the long into the wind 6th and you need to really think about what you want to do before pulling the trigger. An eagle is indeed possible -- so is DB or TB.

8th hole / 515 yards / par-4

Plays back into the prevailing head wind. In a number of ways the 8th at Ballyneal is similar to the 15th at Pac Dunes. Doak and his team have included a bunker that cuts across a good bit of the fairway -- much in the same manner as the bunker that angles in on the 15th at Pac although the one at Ballyneal is a good bit more demanding in its dimensions and appearance.

What Doak has done is provide an alley-way in which players can attempt to fire a tee ball through in order to gain the maximum amount of yardage in order to shorten one's play to the hole.

The key is avoiding the pushed tee ball that finds the fairway bunker on the right side. This is one deep and menacing bunker. There is no guarantee that a ball that finds its way there will get a clean lie or stance -- and that's more than fine because the player needs to really understand what can happen if you miss on that side.

The green is also well done and sectioned to ensure that an indiifferent approach is not given a free pass to an easy birdie. I like the hole but I can see how certain past concepts have been brought to fruition at Ballyneal on this hole particularly.

9th hole / 362 yards / par-4

A gem of a hole and gets little attention that I read before arriving at Ballyneal.

You head uphill for the bulk of the hole and once again face the same headwind from the sw. There is an alleyway about 25 yards wide in which you can opt to go through if you dare. The mound complex on the right side is well done and there is menacing bunker that awaits the slightest of pushed tee shots.

I like the hole because all of is right in front of you. I simply hit driver and finished about 50 yards in front of the green. If I played the hole again -- likely I would lay-up in front of the opening and leave myself a short pitch of roughly 100 yards or thereabouts.

What makes the 9th so special is that it is the 3rd par-4 you play on the front side that is less than 400 yards and each of them is truly unique and fun to play. Too often one sees short par-4 holes designed in a predictable fahsion. Not so at Ballyneal.

In sum, the front nine uses the existing land in a hgih quality fashion. You have a wonderful array of different holes and there is a clear sense that with each hole you get a different "look" and different set of obstacles to overcome. Couple that with a solid routing and you await the final nine with relish.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 11:08:45 AM »
Wow - We have found a course that Adam Clayman AND Matt Ward both love.  8)  This place MUST be special. I think we need a joint Tommy Naccarato/ bombsquadgolf outing at Ballyneal to confirm this wrinkle in the universe.

Thanks for the review Matt.

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 11:48:40 AM »
Matt -- I'm enjoying your descriptions.

I'm glad you've discussed your caddy. I've had a great time getting to know the Ballyneal caddies -- they're an earnest, hardworking group, and I think Ballyneal's commitment to the caddy program is a great strength of the club.

Your description of the drive to Ballyneal from the north was spot on. I would encourage visitors to consider approaching the course from the south, though, from the town of Wray. You travel through about 25 miles of chop hills before arriving at the course, which sits at the far northern end of the hills. It's an exhilirating stretch of road.

Tim Bert

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 12:59:22 PM »
I'm eager to see who steps up to admit that they don't love this course.  I think this one is unanimous!  There's got to be someone with a different opinion, though it is hard to fathom.

As I review my pictures a few months removed, it is only looking better.  My only regret is that I didn't get to experience the greens at true speed with shots feeding off the slopes.

Incredible fun!

Daryl David

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 01:04:17 PM »
I would like to look back to find how long it took for someone on the board to say they didn't like Pacific Dunes. As I recall it took some time.  Ballyneal may surpass that record.  It is very hard to find a reason not to like the course, the vision, the setting...everything about it.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 02:18:31 PM »
Matt, You command of the language serves you well. I was tryng to say the same thing and got into significant trouble a few months back. Actually at the time I saw the course one could not compare it to any course other than to say the holes I saw were very special. I look forward to the rest of your review.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 03:54:24 PM »
Only a couple of comments on Matt's review.

The highest point on prop, is the second tee. I know it feels like it's the fourth, but if you were to look back from the back tee on 3 you would see the downhil nature of the second. The climb to the fourth is not as big as the decline from the back tee of the second.

Meaghan, who shall from this day forward be known as Frank, is one of the most studious caddies. I'm envious of her yardage book and look forward to the next time she is on my bag.

The seventh green is shaped more like an E than a boomeranger, but with the hillside left, the resulting action is similar.

Geoff, There are a few other courses Matt and I both like. (Rawls, Black Mesa) It is confusing when he raves about a place I think is total shit,(or mediocre) but that is what makes the world go 'round. Or is it, in the words of Pink Floyd...MONEY?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matt_Ward

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 04:16:36 PM »
Larry K:

Thanks for mentioning the opposite direction. No doubt it's aki to taking highway 2 from Grand Island to Mullen -- you get the full effect of the wonderous sand hills region before encountering the course.

I completely concur with your thoughts on the caddie program at Ballyneal -- it clearly adds to the experience when playing there.

Tim Bert:

The speed of the greens will not be anywhere near what they can be until likely the next golf season. They were slow in spots and given the lack of rain and the nature of taking a course along in a slow but steady manner I can see the reasons behind it.

Ditto the speed of the fairways which also can increase once everything is in place.

Adam:

My comments on the highest point came directly from Maeghan. It's then possible her info is not correct or heaven forbid you might be in error.

Gents:

I will opine on the overall nature of Ballyneal and the constant evolution of the Doak designs I have personally played but the back nine awaits ... with no further delay ...

10th hole / 509 yards / par-5

This is the hole that showed me some real grit in a Tom Doak design. Too often, from the courses I have played beforehand, the focus from Doak has been on the artistic expression, in candid terms -- the "favored look" that many "purists" (shall I call them that?) seem to favor.

Here Doak demonstrates that the "look" is still front and center but he now seems willing to throw forward some "bear-like" (no connection to Jack mind you) holes.

The 10th plays from an elevated tee and you see the entire expanse of the hole. The hole does slide right and a tee shot that can execute a power-fade or something like that will reap a fine reward. There is a bunker complex on the right and power players would be wise to attack that direction because once carried your ball will bound a good bit more down the fairway.

I opted for the more safe right side and had roughly 200 yards into a truly deep green that banks from left-to-right. There are bunkers on the hole but they form more of "frame" than a frontal guarding position. To Doak's credit the opening allows for a run-up shot becausethe prevailing sw winds can howl in your face here.

Make four here and the back nine starts in grand fashion on one's scorecard.

11th hole / 200 yards / par-3

A very interesting hole because one has to walk a good ways back after playing the 10th. The teeing area is set high and the green surface is slightly above the teeing area. Although the wind generally helps you cannot simply assume that one's approach will get to the more demanding pin placements (back right) and front left) without a solid pinpoint hit.

In fact, I believe the smallbunker on the right side of the green is one of the better bunkers you see at Ballyneal. It is small but like a strong magnet will pull any half-hearted hit into its deep crevice.

12th hole / 375 yards / par-4

IMHI, the most underrated hole on the inward half. You play back with the sw wind helping slightly. The hole is really a story of two halves. The fairway offers a slight rib cage that angles back from the green and provides to some degree two distinct playing areas for one's approach.

Maeghan explained to me that the aggressive play would be down the left side -- with care to avoid the series of deep bunkers on that side. Besides the 2nd hole, I crushed a tee shot here and came within 25 yards of the green -- fortunately for me my ball rode the rib cage and I was given a very easy play to a front right hole location for a kick-in birdie.

The green is one of the better ones at Ballyneal, and given the competition for that title, that's no small feat to earn. If the pin were cut back right or even flush left the approach difficulty I faced would have increased a good bit more.

The 12th is truly a remarkable hole because nearly all types of players can sample what it offers. A birdie can be had -- but like fool's gold it pays to demonstrate due diligence on your part with each stroke played before venturing into unchartered territory.

13th hole / 510 yards / par-5

The back tee for this hole actually crosses over the rear portion of the 12th hole. Thankfully, Maeghan pointed that out to me -- I likely would not have seen it.

To Doak's credit there is a center-placed bunker that requires a 320-yard carry. Generally the wind comes into the player from the ten o'clock position. I was fortunate in hitting a tee shot that settled just left of the deep bunker.

What makes this bunker so unique is that from the next set of markers the carry drops to 246 yards and the thought process in how one deals with it clearly is in play for all golfers.

The green is angled on a diagonal from lower left to back right and you need the proper club for the approach. A fine hole to make up some lost ground.

Doug Wright

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 05:40:33 PM »
Matt,

Good report so far, though I think #13 is a par 4...

Ballyneal is a really fine course, but based on only one play there vs. several at Pacific Dunes I'm still in Pacific Dunes's corner by a margin. Maybe a few more trips round Ballyneal will narrow the gap.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Michael Robin

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2006, 06:32:42 PM »
I agree with Doug, a super report so far. Also, 10 is a par 4 as well and Matt did you mean that your tee shot there ended up on the safer left side?

Tim Bert

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 06:35:03 PM »
I also think that #8 is a par 5.  Matt was having so much fun and Doak built so many half par holes that Matt had no idea what par was on any given hole!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 07:25:27 PM »
Besides being off on Par, Matt is mostly wrong about the uphill nature of #11. I should perhaps have kept this little secret to myself, but if one looks back from the green, only the two front teeing grounds are below the surface of the green. The back tees are above it. So, depending on where Matt played, he is in need of that first cup o' coffee, Pardner. ;D

As for me being in err about the second tee as the high ground, Ran's review stated this as fact, so I checked it out. When Frank and I speak next, she will undoubtedly check it out too.

Matt, As a Juuursseeite, can you guess why Frank is Frank?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2006, 07:32:33 PM »
I believe that the back tee on the second hole is the highest point at Ballyneal, but I could be wrong about that -- the site for the fourth tee was not on our topo maps.  The second tee is only slightly higher than the crest of the second fairway; it's downhill about 15 feet to #2 green; uphill a bit to #3 tee; downhill slightly to #3 green; and uphill a ways to #4 tee.  So it's close.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2006, 07:42:19 PM »
Matt,
I have had several buddies play there and call to tell me that I will like Ballyneal as much if not more than Pacific Dunes.  That is saying a lot and I hope to make the visit on one of my next trips to Denver.
Mark

Matt_Ward

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2006, 08:10:56 PM »
Gents:

I stand corrected -- the 8th is indeed a par-5 and the 13th is a par-4. Would be interesting to see them flip the par depending upon wind conditions. With a SW wind you can keep the 8th as a par-5 but if that should switch to the NW you can play it as a long par-4 and flip the 13th to a par-5.

Michael R:

I played down the left side of ten because of poor execution on my part. Maeghan had advised me that the right side was possible even with a slight wind in my face. The carry on that side isn't that daunting with a solid hit and a bit of self-confidence.

Adam:

You need to check w Frank on your facts -- I was told the 11th played uphill just a tad from the back tees. My information comes from a "frank" source.

The analysis continues ...

14th hole / 362 yards / par-4

A bit of a disappointment here. The hole is a dog-leg left and the bunkers at the corner will likely catch the likes of Joe Sixpack and crew but there's not enough on the tee shot to thrwart the aggressive play of the stronger player. If there was ever a place for a left-center placed bunker it's here on #14. This would then keep players on their toes instead of gripping and ripping from their hind legs.

Before all you short poppers start pissing and moaning I am in agreement that the hole looks grand -- heck -- most of what Doak does is in the A+ category when it comes to the overall look. This time the element of containment for the better player -- which you saw with the likes of #1, #7, #9 and #12 are not present to that high a level here.

#14 cuts a fine picture -- it's the depth on the shot values side that's a letdown from what I've seen elsewhere.

15th hole / 237 yards / par-3

To the credit of Doak the caliber of Ballyneal bounces back considerably with this hole. You tee off far to the right of where you exit the 14th green and this long par-3 features a green that is set in somewhat of a bowl environment.

I hit 4-iron with just a hint of wind behind me. The pin was cut far right and I was fortunate to bounce off the side boards of the mound on that side and shoot on ahead to the middle / rear of the green. What makes this hole so unique is the manner by which it allows different types of plays to be made. You can use the side effects of what the mounds can provide but there's no guarantee the bounce will be to your advantage 100% of the time. The green is big enough to hold just about anything you can hit from the tee and the noticeable left-to-right contour is more subtle than hard edge here.

16th hole / 546 yards / par-5

Played the hole in more of a 10 mph headwind and I have to rate this hole in the category of great Doak par-5's and would easily include it alongside the 3rd at Pac Dunes as a case example.

The tee shot is set on another elevated tee pad -- the expanse of the fairway is enormous and the real need is to keep the ball down the left center. The more you go right the more the hole increases in length although it might be possible in downwind conditions to favor the right side and then open up the green to full view. From the center to far left side you can't see the green and this is another superb feature of the hole. I bit of discomfort is always welcomed from my perspective.

I hit a solid drive down the left side and had roughly 225 yards to the target. Maeghan indicated my line and my ball flight was on target but I hit the top half of another well-placed heart shaped bunker. The explosion shot I faced was more than just routine. To Doak's credit there is rear pin area that features a slight rise to get to it. The bunker shot had to be hard enough to get over the rise but soft enough to stay on the green. I blasted a bit long and finished just a pace or two beyond the putting surface. Two putts later I had a par but birdie was my target.

A thrilling hole because nothing is ever certain until you hole out. That's first rate design in my book.

Time is short now -- I'll conclude the final two holes tomorrow.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 12:09:19 AM »

You need to check w Frank on your facts -- I was told the 11th played uphill just a tad from the back tees. My information comes from a "frank" source.

Matt, Where did your ball end up after you struck it on 11? Did you personally look back at the teeing ground? I have, so facts are facts.

The analysis continues ...

14th hole / 362 yards / par-4

A bit of a disappointment here. The hole is a dog-leg left and the bunkers at the corner will likely catch the likes of Joe Sixpack and crew but there's not enough on the tee shot to thrwart the aggressive play of the stronger player. If there was ever a place for a left-center placed bunker it's here on #14. This would then keep players on their toes instead of gripping and ripping from their hind legs.

Before all you short poppers start pissing and moaning I am in agreement that the hole looks grand -- heck -- most of what Doak does is in the A+ category when it comes to the overall look. This time the element of containment for the better player -- which you saw with the likes of #1, #7, #9 and #12 are not present to that high a level here.

#14 cuts a fine picture -- it's the depth on the shot values side that's a letdown from what I've seen elsewhere.

Matt, Everytime I play the hole, my appreciation for it's qualities increase. I'll give you, it is somewhat of a breather hole, but the dogleg aspect magnifies the importance of the golfer's ability in judging the wind's affect. A subtle hole that actually has the flattest green on the course.

You do understand the importance of breather holes, don't you?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 12:34:22 PM »
Jeez, Adam, you sound just as bad as a thin-skinned architect!

No course can possibly make a great first-time impression for all 18 holes.  Some holes have got to be less "wow" than others, that is the nature of planet Earth.  When you know you've got a great course is when you go back the second or third time, and you realize those holes are pretty darned good in their own right.

Which is the only problem with much of the criticism you find today -- everybody tries to find some hole to criticize, and on great courses they are caught out with a foot in their mouth.

Heck, you didn't even see the good in the ninth at Ballyneal the first time out.  Matt didn't see it in the fourteenth.  Now, if he doesn't like the 17th, I'll be a bit surprised -- I think that's one of the best driving holes we've ever built.  But I slept soundly last night anyway.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 12:38:14 PM by Tom_Doak »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 03:17:03 PM »
Tom / Adam:

Both of you sound like father's who can't stand any type of criticism of their sons -- mild I might add -- concerning Ballyneal. Of course, when one deals with the architect and member of a layout respectively I can fully expect each word will be parsed over and over again for even the slightest hint of anything that may rankle the nerves.

I never said the 14th hole was a dud. Got it.

Tom, I also didn't "tr(y) to find some hole to criticize and I have been quite fair and balanced so that the end result of my review avoids as best as can be the idea of your claim that such people (critics) invariably "get caught out with a foot in their mouth."

Might it be possible you are a bit oversensitive to comments that might be anything just less than gushing about the work you do?

I simply said that when compared to the likes of OTHER par-4 under 400-yard holes at Ballyneal that the 1st, 7th and 12th are considerably more interesting and provide a good bit more on the option meter.

Back to the final analysis --

17th hole / 481-yards / par-4

Could be the best driving hole on the course in my mind. You tee again from a slightly elevated area to a fairway that bends to the right and is well protected by a well-positioned fairway bunker that takes no less than a 315-yard bomb to carry.

The great thing about #17 is that you see all of the elements right in front of you. No guess work here -- simply executing at a high level is a must.

The tee shot calls for a slight fade and you can use as your aiming point a mound on the left side that will "feed" tee shots to the right and into the best position for the approach.

I played a slight fade and the ball did run but the grass on the 17th fairway is a bit longer and softer than some of the other fairways. Given a bit of time the firmness will likely become much more so and cause even more issues for those who don't hit the proper shot.

Very neat green that hugs close to a large mound to the right of the target. I hit my approach from 140 yards with a 9-iron and finished towards the back of the green -- the pin was cut especially tight to the right corner and the contour was a good bit more than I played from left-to-right.

The 17th is indeed an example of Doak going beyond just simply the "look" type holes that fascinate many here on GCA. It is a demanding par-4 hole that requires a high level of execution while still providing all the visual cues that make it quite special and fun to play.

18th hole / 463 yards / par-4

Plays slightly downhill to a green that is back up the hill. You have considerable landing area on the finale here. The best play is to use the natural curve of the landing area (right-to-left) to you advantage for a shorter approach.

The green is also quite good for the closer. The day I played it the pin was cut tight to the very front left. You also have to pay attention and not pull the shot to the immediate left because of two bunkers that hug nearby.

If the pin were cut to the rear then the approach must deal with the interior contours present.

A no-nonsense ending hole that makes you execute at a consistent high level that has been the norm for nearly all the holes there.

In sum --

I usually rate courses by three (3) key categories ...

1). The land the course occupies
2). The complexity of the overall routing
3). The totality of the shot values provided

Ballyneal is no doubt a very special place because the site is so fascinating. In my mind, land makes up for no less than 60% of the equation and when you have such an exciting piece of property it simply elevates the desire to play there.

On the routing front is where I believe Ballyneal takes it to the highest of levels. Doak and his team have masterfully routed the course to all ends of the property are pulled together during the round. You don't have "same" looks but are given different situations / directions in which to overcome. When you get land this special it's the routing that actually takes it to the next level. The Doak routing does just that.

The final element rests with the shot values encountered. I define that as being does the course require dexterity with all or nearly all of the clubs you have. Ballyneal does. One other thing -- does the course require the player to demonstrate shot control -- the wherewithal to move the ball (from side to side and to hit low / high shots) on command when the situation calls for it. Again, Ballyneal does that at a very high level.

You also don't need wind to make Ballyneal a quality challenge -- the wind only adds to what is already there. Pac Dunes, on the other hand, frankly needs wind on a number of holes there in order to stiffen its qualities from a design standpoint IMHO.

Ballyneal for me is a better overall layout than Pac Dunes because the latter gets plenty of brownie points in being situated alongside the Pacific Ocean. Give Ballyneal an ocean next to it and the overall stock of the course would likely be even higher. That's life unfortunately.

Nonetheless, even without a body of water the totality of what you find at Ballyneal demonstrates first rate design (the look) alongside the equally important characteristic of first rate execution (how it plays). Kudos to Tom Doak for a winning effort -- the best of his considerable efforts I have played to date (not including the aformentioned courses I listed at the outset) -- a design, I believe, frankly from my time there is even better than that glorious gem in Mullen.

Given the bar Sand Hills has set -- Ballyneal has met the stakes and pushed even further ahead. Anyone having the opportunity to play Ballyneal should do only one thing -- cancel all appointments and be sure to play it.

Mike Policano

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2006, 03:35:04 PM »
Matt,

Very nice job on the write-up.  Thanks for taking the time.  I agree with your recommendation to head out to Ballyneal.  After finishing 18, I wanted to rip up my ticket home and stay there.  Now I am hunting for lefty hickorys for the next trip.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2006, 10:45:59 AM »
Mike:

Since you played the course did you have any preconceived notions before playing it ?

If so -- what were they and how, if anything, have they been changed since your time there ?

Thanks ...

Mike Policano

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2006, 11:37:22 AM »
Matt,

I didn't have any preconceived notions, even though Ran's write-up was available and a friend sent me pictures of the course.  I was too busy playing to look at either.

But having played Wildhorse, Dismal and SH just prior to BN, I was struck by how different it was and how much it felt like Ireland.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back